Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I request a chargeable for this?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Sorry, title should read 'chargeback' not chargeable.

I ordered 2 furniture items from an online website 2 weeks ago. At the time of my order I was told that the items would be delivered in 7-10 days but today (14 days later) I received a call to tell me that one of the items I ordered was no longer in stock and the other item wouldn't delivered for another week. I told them I wanted to cancel the whole order but I was told that this was not possible.

The total amount for both items was charged to my credit card immediately after I ordered. I have phoned a number of times but even though they have a dublin phone number, the customer service seems to have been outsourced internationally and all the agents can do is view the order status. I left a message on the businesses Facebook page but it was promptly deleted :mad: Could I ask for a chargeback from my credit card company?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Under distant selling regulation you have a legal right to cancel the order and get a refund even up to 14 days after delivery.

Its probably in their terms anyway, but they are fobbign you off.

Simply send them an email with order number and your details and tell them that you are cancelling the order and expect a full refund.

If order is delivered to you - refuse it.

If they won't do a refund, then do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

• Unless agreed otherwise, the trader must deliver the goods to you without undue delay and not later than 30 days from when the order was placed.
    • If the trader does not deliver the goods within the time agreed, you may ask the trader to make the delivery within an additional period of time, unless it is not appropriate in the circumstances.
    • If the trader fails to deliver the goods within the agreed time or the additional period (if any), you may reject the contract and the trader must refund all the money you paid under the contract, without undue delay.

If the seller is breeching the rules of distance selling, which it appears that they are, then you have a good case for a chrgeback if they refuse your request for refund.

If they do insist on sending the remaining item to you, refuse the delivery.

There is also the 14-day cooling off period, which allows you to change your mind when buying from a distance retailer such as this. Details are at the bottom of the link posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There is also the 14-day cooling off period, which allows you to change your mind when buying from a distance retailer such as this. Details are at the bottom of the link posted above.

Cooling off period started when the order was placed, and the OP said this was two weeks ago, so might be outside this, slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Cooling off period started when the order was placed, and the OP said this was two weeks ago, so might be outside this, slightly.
    Incorrect:
    Cooling-off period
    You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement