Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Racist" row: Finger-loss fraud

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he was attacked

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can understand that loosing a finger could mess with his memory of the preceding incidents slightly as I imagine is stings just a touch. Was he actually attacked or was it more like his face was just a bit bruised from landing on it as he scaled the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wertz wrote: »
    Since when is beating up the English racist? Good clean fun more like!
    No its them coming over here that is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i was in the sauna earlier and a few of the old lads in there were talking about it. one of them was giving all the details and he was saying... ' yeah it was a strange one, the guards went back and searched the place and found the finger still stuck on the fence, they couldn't believe that no birds or rats had eaten it'
    without missing a beat another fella turns around to him and says... 'cant blame the rats, it was english'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nightwish wrote: »
    I think it was Britain Place.

Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

FruitLover wrote: »
    He got his finger cut off by a pole.

i thought he blamed the Irish:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

pretty obvious he got pissed, hurt himself, couldnt admit it to his parents so he makes up an elaborate story and now its biting him in the ass, i used to do the same when i was 16/17.and they always found out the truth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

FruitLover wrote: »
    He got his finger cut off by a pole.

Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

insurance fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

insurance fraud?

now it all makes sense!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

insurance fraud?

No thanks. I just had one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He just wanted to get out of the washing up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ShowmanBob

According to the kid a gang of five lads asked him where he was from. When he replied England they allegedly beat the tar out of him. Sounded a bit suspect from the off in that he said they actually ripped his finger off.
    I wonder how good a piano player he was? Hopefully a very good one.

I think thats a very dispicable and inhumane thing to say, regarless of how he lost his finger he still a 17 year old pianist. He was attacked prior to the fall and he was "split from his friends" and "very frightened", the fact that he fell from 8ft fence does suggest concussion! Not to mention the post traumatic stress that losing a finger would give, when I cut my arm open 5 years ago I was stone cold sober and my mind still blocked the memories. Also I listened to him on the radio he never suggested racism, he just said they asked him where hes from (probably from the earlier attack) and he did say "at a guess" they ripped his finger off. Obviously very confused, thinking he knew more than he did!
    My sympathies are still with him, and with William Wallace aka Braveheart as his father he should be alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ShowmanBob wrote: »
    I think thats a very dispicable and inhumane thing to say, regarless of how he lost his finger he still a 17 year old pianist. He was attacked prior to the fall and he was "split from his friends" and "very frightened", the fact that he fell from 8ft fence does suggest concussion! Not to mention the post traumatic stress that losing a finger would give, when I cut my arm open 5 years ago I was stone cold sober and my mind still blocked the memories. Also I listened to him on the radio he never suggested racism, he just said they asked him where hes from (probably from the earlier attack) and he did say "at a guess" they ripped his finger off. Obviously very confused, thinking he knew more than he did!
    My sympathies are still with him, and with William Wallace aka Braveheart as his father he should be alright!

That is why I was very disappointed with the headline in the herald today. they are making a big deal of the fact he lost his finger on the fence and airbrushing out the fact he was attacked. Regardless of how it happened, it was still pretty horrific.

Says a lot that beating up an Englishman cen be described as "Fun" and not get slated as well. If he was stabbed would his attack have been laughed at as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

only if he was stabbed in the finger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Now, why do I suspect the original headbutting (all they can see on CCTV) has nothing to do with him being English?

MYOB wrote: »
    Now, why do I suspect the original headbutting (all they can see on CCTV) has nothing to do with him being English?

probably not, but it is irrelevant. he was attacked.

From what I read, the lad was pretty open and said he was asked where he was from and was then beaten up, he never said he was beaten up for being English It's the papers that have made a big thing out of this, not him.

The surgeon said it looked like his finger was bitten off, which he also said he didn't remember happening, if he wanted to make a big deal out of this, that would have been more dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

i don't believe he had got the two incidents mixed together. I think he paniced and thought it would be easier to blame the loss of the finger on the attack than on an accident that happened later. He may have been stupidly embarassed about trying to climb the fence and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

The whole pianist angle is being blown out of proportion. I heard him on Gerry Ryan the following day say that he plays the piano, but wasn't a concert pianist or even thinking of becoming one. The papers jumped on this as it makes for a better story.

Is there any indication as to why he was trying to jump the fence? Was he chased from MacD's? Its a decent run to Britain Place from MacD's on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drunk 17-year-old English kid gets into a fight and it's our fault how? There are hundreds of thousands of English who manage weekly to not get into fights, so I'd be surprised if he was suddenly "set upon".

What in God's name was he doing climbing a fence? I can see how he might have ran, and kept running for half a km and ended up where he did. But an 8 foot fence? And by virtue of the fact that he didn't make it over the fence, yet managed to not get a beating, proves that he wasn't being chased.

Totally out of all proportion. Drunk kid makes an excuse for an injury (most of us have been there) and suddenly it's in the news so he can't go back on it, he can only bend the story a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Come now we all know what fibbers these english can be:

"i had my finger bitten off"
    "the famine never happened"
    "we won world war 2"

etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

lol bambi nice one:D

Bambi wrote: »
    Come now we all know what fibbers these english can be:

"i had my finger bitten off"
    "the famine never happened"
    "we won world war 2"

etc etc

Leprechauns
    "I don't recall a suitcase full of cash"
    Dublin Area RAPID Transit

Pot, Kettle Black. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

ShowmanBob wrote: »
    regarless of how he lost his finger he still a 17 year old pianist

Not anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ths kid is tryinh to make a fool of us.

Its as if hes jus giving us the finger.

*gets coat.. leaves*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

snyper wrote: »
    Ths kid is tryinh to make a fool of us.

Its as if hes jus giving us the finger.

*gets coat.. leaves*

What does it matter, he'll never be able to finger the guy who loafed him.

*Gets...................already left*

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Reminds me of that old Helen Keller joke, why did Helen Keller play the piano with one hand?? She would sing with the other one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Reminds me of that old Helen Keller joke, why did Helen Keller play the piano with one hand?? She would sing with the other one :eek:

Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Freddie star ate my hamster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Motosam wrote: »
    Hur hur, the shoe is on the other foot now :pac:

Wait shit...

BRILLIANT!!!! :D

Advertisement