Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Meet-up. Anyone Interested?

• 22-02-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Decided to start a new thread as I think this is getting lost in the "Linux Use In Dublin" thread.

Right following up on Psicic's brainwave re using the Ilac library I rang them to see what the story is.

I was told by a Cathy McKenna that all we have to do is email her what the meeting is about (easy enough) and what date we'd like to hold it on. I presume if the date we select is booked out she'll suggest another.

So anyone interested in meeting up? Suggest a date here.

Opening hours are:
    Mon - Thurs: 10-8pm
    Fri & Sat: 10-5pm

If we get this going what do ppl want out of Linux User Group?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I'd be interested if its newb friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Thats the whole idea. So what would you want out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

I am a bit of a noob but like if something was organised I would go for the laugh. It would just be more of a social thing to meet people with similar interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

im in if its on a luas line because i get lost real easy

The Ilac Mall can be accessed from Henry St, Moore St or Parnell St all near the Luas line. Get off at Abbey St or Store St and you'll be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

AFAIK ilug meet up regularly I'm sure everyone from boards would be welcome.

ilug@linux.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'd be interested. I'd like to hang out with a few nerds for a while. Ilac library sounds fine. Public libraries and free software/open source have a lot of philosophical similarities. :)

AFAIK ILUG have the occasional meet up. Regular would be a stretch IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Just thought I’d post (again!!) to say I’m up for the meet anytime – apart from Saturday, March 4th (Big Bike Show in RDS:D ).

A Saturday would be good for the first meeting – I suggest March 11th - so people can get schedules in order, won’t feel rushed if they don’t know where Ilac Centre is or have a long way to come or whatever.

(I think a weekday might be good for a regular meet-up – just have this first one(plus any Installfests or Open Groups) on a Saturday. That way folks after work/college can come and ‘tech-it-up’ mid-week for about an hour and then go out for food/drink afterwards in a nice relaxed atmosphere. It means people won't have to lose an Saturday fighting traffic coming into town, choose between the group and spending time with their family or whatever. Things like this should be discussed at first meeting.)

In my opinion the purpose of this first meeting should basically be fact-finding.

People who want a say in the formation of the LUG – who have a specific idea(or even a very vague impression of one! :) ) that they want to get something out of the group, should come (And post here so jaqian knows people are still interested!!!)

There should be an agenda set out for this first meeting, and I think we'll find several 'sub-groups' with specific interests (beginners Beowulf Clustering, anyone? ;) ) and levels of skill - so EVERYONE that's remotely interested should come to the first meeting. That means people who have yet to install Linux and are interested, people who have been hacking the Kernel for years, people who just want to get to grips with the GUI environment, people who want to script from the command line etc...

We'd have a good whack to talk about and there’s so much potential for a bit of hacker/geek related fun that isn’t stuck up it’s own h@le – you know you’ve always wanted a group like this, folks. Come on...post here. Motivate jaqian and Karoma and the others... put your manhood where your mouth is :eek: ....um...I mean, show your support!!!

Psicic for President! ;)

jaqian wrote:
    Psicic for President! ;)

Oy! It's 'Grand High Poombah and Lord of the Flab' if you don't mind...:D

• Advertisement

jaqian wrote:
    Psicic for President! ;)
    I believe the correst Linux term is Benevolent Dictator for Life.

Syth wrote:
    I believe the correst Linux term is Benevolent Dictator for Life.

Oooooooh! :D Linus has had legs broken for less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,496 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jaqian wrote:
    The Ilac Mall can be accessed from Henry St, Moore St or Parnell St all near the Luas line. Get off at Abbey St or Store St and you'll be sorted.

Get off at the first stop in Abbey Street (on route into city centre) and you'll be close. Walk on, then turn left into Liffey Street. Get off in Store Street and you're well lost.

If you're on the 'other' Luas, walk down Grafton Street, over O'Connell Bridge (shudder!), up O'Connell Street, past GPO, turn left into Henry Street, 2nd right into Moore Street (want some ripe fruit?), enter ILAC half way along on left. Library is up stairs on right after first junction.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hey, im in, semi-noob, been using Linux/Unix for bout a year, but havent actually hacked it that much, am a third comp sci. student in UCD, i know i could probably have gotten a room, but i was a bit slow in reading the other thread!:rolleyes:

Hey Blowfish that would be great if you can get it. Is it easy enough to get?

What do ppl think of Saturday 25th March for our first meet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

jaqian wrote:
    Thats the whole idea. So what would you want out of it?

Mainly help getting ubuntu up and running on my laptop. that date would suit alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Seeing as I got a PM and all ;) .....

I /think/ I'm free for that date, but I can't commit for sure until I check with my social diary (wife :)).

I'm over the noob hump at this point. Currently using ubuntu as my development platform in my new job. 5.10 is a major improvement over 5.04 methinks.

i havent actually got a room b4, but i know ppl who have, so ill talk 2 them, plus theres a lecturer here who definitely wud help ( he currently is trying 2 organise a european OpenBSD codathon to be organized, and wants it here:D ), ill let u kno what happens.

Khannie wrote:

I /think/ I'm free for that date, but I can't commit for sure until I check with my social diary (wife :)).

That's amazing you've the same social diary as myself :)

• Advertisement

Id love to be there but i cant make that weekend i will be at the next one have just been pre-booked that weekend.

Real sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ah didn't see this thread. Will have to remember when its on this time.

wes wrote:
    Ah didn't see this thread. Will have to remember when its on this time.

Great. So the pm was worth it then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes, I'd be interested - although I'm not sure about the date. Will have to check social diary (g/f) :) too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I might be interested in attending this meeting. Been contemplating using linux on my laptop for sometime now, maybe even on my main pc. Tbh, i cant see it replacing windows for me but its more something id like to be able to work with.

I'm easy with dates, as long as i dont have to go home on given weekend (Not bound to a social diary at the min :P )

Jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Sounds good.. again like the others though I'd have to check the date with the other half and see what happens. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

The 25th sounds good to me also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

I'm remotely interested in coming to one of these un-official LUG meetings, assuming there is one on the 25th sometime (preferably after lunch in the early afternoon 2-3pm)

Blowfish wrote:
    i havent actually got a room b4, but i know ppl who have, so ill talk 2 them, plus theres a lecturer here who definitely wud help ( he currently is trying 2 organise a european OpenBSD codathon to be organized, and wants it here:D ), ill let u kno what happens.
    :) I know the guy you're talking about.

I'm a final year UCD Computer science student and since I'm on UCD's NetSoc committtee, I could help with booking a room in UCD. This falls under the remit of the internet society. :)

• Advertisement

great stuff, was goin 2 ask Netsoc committee guys 2 come anyway, and hopefully you can mail all the members.

the date should b grand for me too, though i'll have to check with MY social diary (TV Schedule:p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I'd be interested if its newb friendly.

same here

id like to learn how to use certain features of linux, mainly networking (setting up fileserver, dns server etc) Also general usage, introducton to linux. have suse 10 installed but havent a bog how to use it, so I dont know how to configure much on it. it would be good also to see other flavours of linux.

but as mentioned this would need to be noob friendly aswell as advanced discussions for advanced linux users.

hopefully this will be on weekend or a md-week evening ;)

@Blowfish will I try and get the Ilac for this date or will you try UCD?

em, tbh syth will have a better chance coz hes on the comittee for one of the societies. will talk 2 him bout it tho (and give a hand organizing it coz hes busy in 4th yr)

The Ilac isn't looking good. I fired off an email yesterday about using the room on the 25th and what we're about etc.

My Email:
    Hi Cathy,
    I'm interested in booking the Ilac Library meeting room for the 25th March at around 2/3 o'clock. Myself and about ten other people are interested in getting together to discuss Linux, a computer operating system. This meeting would be open to anyone interested in attending.

Linux is an interesting operating system but one that can be a little difficult to grasp sometimes, so people usually come together and help each other out etc. Its also a place for new users to see different versions of Linux running as well.

Could you tell me if this date and time are available?

Regards,
    Robert

About Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

I got a reply today but somehow I don't think I was supposed to get it. I sent this email to a Cathy from my work email address which is the Dept. Ag.

Read here:
    Cathy
    > I wouldn't throw this out altogether - any link with another
    > dept. might be useful. Is he wearing ann Agriculture hat or
    > his he private/commercial? Get them to submit a proper
    > proposal - who else might be interested?
    > Alastair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

????

Public library? I would have thought you'd be covered by saying the
    meeting was open to anyone.

I'd reply sweetly to Cathy, and cc: the good Alastair, and say that
    seeing as they're "not throwing it out altogether", could they send
    you on details of the purpose of their meeting room, and what kinds
    of group are entitled to use it.

Apologise to them both that as it's a private hobby meeting,
    you will be unable to offer them a "useful link" with another department.

I do work with a number of Govt depts myself , and I'm certain people
    would be very amused by this exchange.

NiallB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I'd also be interested in attending a meeting, if it was on in UCD. The date is fine. My experience of Linux is limited, I have installed Ubuntu under VMWare, know basic apt-get commands, mounting NTFS drives etc. Would like to know more.
    I did attend a meeting like this a number of years ago in San Francisco and it was a disaster, the flyer said it was aimed at all levels, with typical American enthuaism loads of people did turn up eager to learn, but it then became a knowledge ego trip for the guys who organised the meeting, and they discussed archaic topics amongst themselves, and took a most condescending manner with the 'noobs', for not having the same zen like levels of Linux knowledge as themselves.

Sorry bit of a rant there, I just mean that if the meeting is aimed at all levels, then people will ask what seem like lame questions to someone with Linux knowledge. From the responses here so far, it does not seem like that will be a problem, as people seem eager and willing to share their knowledge.

Hope this becomes a success.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I might show up.

jaqian wrote:
    The Ilac isn't looking good. I fired off an email yesterday about using the room on the 25th and what we're about etc.

My Email:

I got a reply today but somehow I don't think I was supposed to get it. I sent this email to a Cathy from my work email address which is the Dept. Ag.

Read here:

Huh. is this a no or a yes or a monday morning e-mail that has nothing to do with the topic. Because iv done that before.

wrote:
    I did attend a meeting like this a number of years ago in San Francisco and it was a disaster, the flyer said it was aimed at all levels, with typical American enthuaism loads of people did turn up eager to learn, but it then became a knowledge ego trip for the guys who organised the meeting, and they discussed archaic topics amongst themselves, and took a most condescending manner with the 'noobs', for not having the same zen like levels of Linux knowledge as themselves.

I agree totally with this. Dont kick people who are new to linux help them. We all had to start somewhere i still have my Redhat 5.2 disks and paid for the nice packageing two.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

syth pointed me towards this thread. sounds great!

• Advertisement

How does DubLUG sound to people?
    =0)

Getting a room in UCD will be very easy,
    I can also throw emails to my friends in Trinity Netsoc, DCU Redbrick (networking society), I'm sure they'll have contacts in other places.
    I might give a shout to my friends in Sun? alot of them do linux stuff too...

larryone wrote:
    How does DubLUG sound to people?
    =0)

Not bad :) Thats one of the things we can discuss at the meeting... agree on a name for ourselves.
    Getting a room in UCD will be very easy,

Does that mean you can organise it?
    I can also throw emails to my friends in Trinity Netsoc, DCU Redbrick (networking society), I'm sure they'll have contacts in other places.
    I might give a shout to my friends in Sun? alot of them do linux stuff too...

Hope its a big room ;)

jaqian wrote:
    Does that mean you can organise it?
    I suppose I could.
    saturday 25th then?
    jaqian wrote:
    Hope its a big room ;)
    How many should we anticipate?
    If we book a lecture theatre will we feel rediculous with our little group of 10 people in such a large room? If we go for a classroom will we risk over-attendance and the intense smell of too many nerds in a small space.

Is UCD central enough for most people? I mean it's an hour from DCU if anyone cometh down, and it's not on a luas line.

I'll throw in a booking for a room for 50 anyway, and see what they give back to us in a couple of days. If it ends up not suiting enough people then we can always cancel and look at another location

L

Oh - what timeish?
    And I presume we'll be asking for a VGA connection for whatever piece of sh!t we want to throw up on a screen (nigs writing anything for this)
    Most of the lecture theatres in UCD are setup for this kind of thing...

good man larry. ive already posted 2 all CS third yrs, so hopefully there will b a few of them aswell. i'd say the best time wud b for it to be early afternoon, bout 2

Right, on my way back from getting a tasty breakfast "wrap" (no rolls left) I dropped into room bookings, with the intention of.... yeknow.
    Aparently we cant book rooms for student society events outside of term time, and on the 25th we're in the middle of an academic hiatus. At least that's the policy for filling out a bog standard room booking application form.
    So I'm going to contact the people again tomorrow who actually deal with this, and ask them what the story is. If they tell me we can book it as an external group they'd probably charge us something rediculous for the use of the room... and deny us the right to book it as a student society event. If they're nice, they'll allow me to put the Netsoc rubber stamp on the event, and we get it for free....

ble.
    (Why do I fell like I'm signing up for more work or something)
    I might just call them instead of actually going over to them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Blowfish wrote:
    %< wrong Linux counter link>%
    The Linux counter link is actually http://counter.li.org

Regards...jmcc
    Linux user #13735

cheers for that, i guess that's what happens if you copy and paste some1 elses link:rolleyes:

jaqian wrote:

Read here:
    Cathy
    > I wouldn't throw this out altogether - any link with another
    > dept. might be useful. Is he wearing ann Agriculture hat or
    > his he private/commercial? Get them to submit a proper
    > proposal - who else might be interested?
    > Alastair

LOL! :D That's really funny - sounds two steps short of a conspiracy. I should send an email to Cathy's email address from my Department of Education and Science email, but act like I meant to send it to you:
    jaqian, I've noted what Cathy said. I think you're instincts are right on this. I was talking to the Minister and she agrees - it should just look like a random grouping of people. The "Others" can't know we're consolidating Linux usage in the Departments and we can't get bound to doing too many favours to start with. Just go with pretending it's a get-together for nerds and hold it in UCD if all else fails.

Just out of interest, did she ever send you a request for formal proposal?

psicic wrote:
    jaqian, I've noted what Cathy said. I think you're instincts are right on this. I was talking to the Minister and she agrees - it should just look like a random grouping of people. The "Others" can't know we're consolidating Linux usage in the Departments and we can't get bound to doing too many favours to start with. Just go with pretending it's a get-together for nerds and hold it in UCD if all else fails.

Brilliant. rotfl
    Just out of interest, did she ever send you a request for formal proposal?

Nope no reply yet, won't hold my breath either. Wonder why they wanted to cancel it? Is it a case of don't understand it = bin it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement