Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday present for girlfriend,opinions?

Options
  • 11-08-2008 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

ok so been meeting this girl for 4 mths now and all going well,her birthday isnt till early november but its been running through my head that its going to be difficult to pick something out for her...shes allergic to perfume(almost all) and thats not really original anyway!but besides that i wouldnt know where to start i know what clothes shops she buys in but again vouchers aint original...what i was thinking though as she mentioned that she would love to go to rome so take her there for say fri to sunday or enen a monday...thing is it wouldnt be until january or feb,do you think she would like this?but how do i present it to her u know if i didnt have anything physical to give to her...would be taking her out for dinner too so maybe say it to her then...maybe im thinking too much about it any opinions from the women?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you can't go to Italy til next year then leave it for a christmas present. Her birthday isn't til November? Seems a bit early to be thinking of what to get her considering you're only going out 4 months.

Don't give her vouchers anyway. Listen to her over the next few months and learn what she likes. As a boyfriend you should be giving her something she'll love. We have no clue what she loves. Take heed of what she says she likes or would love to do and you'll find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I could list all the things I'd love for my birthday and your girlfriend could easily hate them with a passion. Its difficult to ask strangers what you should buy your girlfriend for her birthday.
    I think the trip to Rome, while being a great idea, is a bit too much so early on in your relationship. As Cathoo said you should listen carefully to her and pick up on things she loves / hates and let that guide you.
    Manicures / pedicures / facials: a voucher for a beauty salon (a good one) is not a bad thing to give. Yes it is a voucher but it is also one that was purchased with thought. If you give this along with a book or cd that you know she'll love then it shows it was more than a "sure a voucher is grand and handy, that'll do her".

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Timmy_d wrote: »
    but how do i present it to her u know if i didnt have anything physical to give to her...?

If you do end up getting her a trip a way I find a nice way of presenting it is to get a guide book for where you are going, stick a printout of the flight confirmation etc inside the front cover and wrap it all up.

A weekend away does seem a bit much for such a new relationship, but I guess you know her better than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

try topgifts.ie they might give ya some ideas! im gonna get the girlfirend a sky dive!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Just get her a weekend away and surprise her by landing here there with a suitcase of lingerie and some other stuff she needs and hope she has the legs pre shaved!

On a Xmas present note: Just found out from my contacts in peter marks that there is a portable GHD that will be charged up and then work off batterys and fit in a handbag coming out in January so prob alot of ye will be gettin receipts for xmas. Know my bird will!!! And it has a pouch to slot it into so u dont have to wait for it to cool down! Best idea ever... from a rallying fanatics boyfriends perspective anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

ya just figured it would prob work out bout the same anyway if i got reasonable price for rome with ryanair...cheers

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Off-topic I know, but I have to ask...
    Timmy_d wrote: »
    ok so been meeting this girl for 4 mths now

Meeting? :confused: Is that a new one or specific to some part of the country?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The holiday I think is a bit much. I don't know how old you are, but saying meeting means maybe not that old...anyway if I got a present that early in a relationship for so far away it'd kinda put me off, like he was thinking VERY far into our future!

You could pamper her for a day - manicure, facial, shopping, dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    It's used down the country instead of 'scoring'. I haven't heard it used to signify that you were going out with someone though.
    Isn't it used in dublin by 15 year olds? (not saying the op is a 15 year old my any means, just pointing out I have never heard it used "down the country")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I'm with my bird 5 yrs and I'd still say on nights out were meeting. Its a kind of kerry thing even thou I'm from cork. Sure as much a gift for him as her so dont see the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I think I would book acouple of days at a nice hotel in Ireland, there are some great offers available. Somewhere with a spa for treatments etc. Could be a good preamble for booking the Rome trip for Christmas. When I give the OH a trip away as a present, I do as Litup suggested and buy the guide book and wrap it up with the details of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

How do you present a trip down the country as a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

dohc wrote: »

Tell them to pack a weekend bag and bring them there, surprrrrrrrrrrrrrise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

first of all make sure she has a passport--next she likes flying .{that was my friends first mistake]-but i agree unless you have been with the girl for sometime do not go over the top --you could scare her off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

dohc wrote: »

Find the place on a map and circle it, and just give her the page?

Ha true prob the best way but i will hace to tell her something cause she will have to get work off ya know.

Twee i like your style that sound good.Or just tell her to pack a bag and just not ell here where but she would cop on from the signposts where we heading for

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well short of putting a sack over her head and bundling her into the boot of your car, I can't see any way around that.

OK, we're done here now. This thread only exists because it was posted before my zero-tolerance policy of moving stuff like this to Gift Ideas, but the OP got his answer so it's not needed any more. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement