Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Project for You ?

Options
  • 22-01-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I put this up on the Inland Waterways forum and also thought that someone here might be interested. It is not a "For Sale" advert.

I have a friend who has not been well recently. He took on a project a year ago and has realised that he will not have the energy and strength to finish it. He has asked me to help try and find someone with the interest to continue the project.
    It is a very unique boat and might be of interest to a member of this forum. The only cost involved will be that of collection.
    The boat was built in Holland in 1942 for a member of the occupying German forces.
    It is 19ft long and looks like a small sailing Dutch barge. It is built of oak on oak and has beautiful wood detail. There are some soft spots and these would need some work and TLC.
    The boat has an inboard engine and could be used as a motor cruiser or be fully rigged with the mast and sails, all of which are in good condition and available. I believe that the boat would be suitable for river, lake and canal use.
    I have not seen the boat and have taken photos of photos. It can be viewed in Co. Wicklow.
    If you are interested, contact me by PM.
    Photos are attached. The boat is not on a trailer as shown in the photos. There is no trailer with the boat.

PS The dubious name of the boat has already been explained on the IWAI forum :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Its a very unique boat, with a great history! I hope you are successful in finding someone to finish the restoration as it be a shame to losea great piece of history!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Its a very unique boat, with a great history! I hope you are successful in finding someone to finish the restoration as it be a shame to losea great piece of history!

I've had two very serious replies, so I hope that her future is secure. I will update when I have more news.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

mad looking thing. looks like someone stuck it in a compactor which didnt quite finish the job. some of those old dutch barges are still raced competitivly in holland

There seems to be a great history behind this boat. Maybe the new owner or myself will post the full version some day.
    In 1942 some Germans approached a Dutch boat builder to build some boats. The builder did not want to be seen helping the Germans, so he said that he did not have enough wood for the project. The next day a truck arrived full of the finest oak planks. The builder went ahead with the builds and thought that he was on to a good thing because there was a lot more oak than needed for the boats. He could build a few more boats and make a great profit. Unfortunately the day after the boats were finished, the truck re-appeared and loaded up the remaining oak.
    Officially three boats were built to this design, but it is thought that there were actually five, three of which are still in existence. Boats this size did not normally have a cabin, but the Germans changed the design.
    She has had a few re-fits and these have been documented.
    We're going to check her out next Tuesday and will have more information then.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Great looking boat
    If I didn’t have my hands full I would be interested

• Advertisement

copper12 wrote: »
    Great looking boat
    If I didn’t have my hands full I would be interested

I have huge admiration for you and your project. I nearly cried when I saw what you were taking on and barely held back from telling you to run a mile from it.
    What you have done since is truly amazing. I look forward to seeing the photos of launch day.

Looks like PUTZ has found a new home. She'll be well looked after and renovated in a suitable workshop, with very talented and skilled craftsmen who will bring her back to her former glory. Then she will be kept busy, sailing with young people who's grandparents were only their age when PUTZ was built.

Advertisement