Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology, Physics, and Chemistry...which two?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

I do the 3 and if I'd to pick 2 I'd probably pick biology and chemistry... Even though I actually prefer physics to biology, biology is a lot easier! Chemistry is a requirement for a good few things as seen above and also massively interesting imo :D but if you don't like chemistry and love physics then just go for them, you can get into the vast majority of science course with 2 of any of the sciences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Is that true, though? I'm racking my brain for any possible example.

I'm probably reading it wrong, but were they talking about how both subjects develop use of logical thinking and reasoning, whereas Biology is more rote learning based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Ompala wrote: »
    I'm probably reading it wrong, but were they talking about how both subjects develop use of logical thinking and reasoning, whereas Biology is more rote learning based?

Nope! I conceded that point above: "I took Chem and Physics. There is effectively no over-lap in content, but there probably could be said to be in terms of thought-process."

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Nope! I conceded that point above: "I took Chem and Physics. There is effectively no over-lap in content, but there probably could be said to be in terms of thought-process."

It was a late day in work and I probably should have been asleep when I was reading this thread :P But yeah, I do accept that content wise there isn't huge overlap, but thought processes are similar.

And on a completely unrelated note, I see people making the same mistake I made when I was in LC regarding use of compliment and complement.....

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/complement-vs-compliment/

Now I know I am in no position to criticise anyone's english, but it always caught me out so I hope no one falls into the same trap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Seeing as you mentioned Pharmacy, you're going to need to do Chemistry. Even without it as a requirement, you'd be in trouble in a health science course without having done it.

I was in the same position as you - I knew I needed to do Chemistry, and another science (to satisfy course requirements), and I wanted to do History as I found it easy for the JC and thought it'd be interesting. I ended up doing History (instead of Biology), Chemistry and Physics.

I'm in first med in UCC, and I doubt I could've caught up with the Chem content without vast amounts of work. However I just read through the Biology book over the summer and that gave me more than enough understanding for Physiology and Biochem (Biology is of little use for Anatomy, which is a very minor thing in Pharmacy anyhow). My logic for choosing Physics was that I found it easier than Biology in JC Science and that'd it be mathsy.

My opinion would be to definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, do Chem. It's a great subject - especially if you got As in JC Science and Maths (I got Bs in them), and you'll need it :)

I'd also say that Applied Maths would be a great option for you - Physics is useful but not a requirement for this, but they complemented each other well in my case. Biology would be a good idea to do, and has a very high A1 rate given it's one of the most common subjects (loads of average students do it unlike Physics and Chem, yet the A rate is rather high) :)

History was great craic in fourth year - we did Dictatorship & Democracy which most people love. However the other topics are probably less interesting. Still, the NI topic gave me a really good understanding of the Troubles which is nice. You could always do it on your own outside of school, going to class taught me nothing really, and we did little work, the only thing you need a teacher for is the project.

TL;DR: I was in the exact same position as you in TY. I chose History instead of Biology and later regretted it, but it hasn't caused me any trouble in my course (but it cost me 20+ hours of my summer learning LC Bio). Chem was great (and necessary), and while I initially disliked Physics I loved it in the end, and doing it allowed me to do Applied Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

I do all 3 and my favourite 2 are Biology and Physics. Chemistry for me has the biggest workload and is the least interesting.

The combination that has the biggest overlap is Chemistry and Physics. Chemistry and Biology don't really overlap in content as such but a knowledge of Chemistry will make topics such as photosynthesis in Biology easier to get your head around.

I would definitely take Biology regardless; it's the easiest to get a high grade in (imo) and it's v interesting. Choosing between Chemistry and Physics depends on personal preference really, try watching some videos on an introduction to each subject and see which appeals to you most :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In case statistics mean anything to anyone.

% of candidates achieving A or B or C grades:

Physics
    2012 74.5%
    2013 73.2&
    2014 72.4%

Chemistry
    2012 72.7%
    2013 73.5%
    2014 72.7%

Biology
    2012 71.1%
    2013 69.8%
    2014 69.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yeah from what I heard physics was marked hard last year and had a high fail rate , could have been one of the highest if I remember correctly .

Thing about biology and chemistry is you can wrote learn answers but in my opinion in physics you need to apply your knowledge to solve problems . Biology and chemistry are the safer choices .

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Hate to drag up an old thread, but for anybody who cares, I've decided (for now) to go with all three: Biology, Chemistry and Physics

Just thinking to myself earlier this week, I thought: "Man, I loved science for the JC and science in general. People are always advising us to do subjects we like and enjoy. So why not? It's not locking me out of any other branches of study in college (business etc.) and it should make my Leaving Cert a bit more enjoyable sufferable"

I love music, playing it and listening to it and whatnot, but hated it as a subject and found it a bore to study. So cross that.

I love history, but even at JC there was a lot of learning and essay writing involved and from what I've read it doesn't get any better at LC.

So...Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French...whaddayathink?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No reason why not.
    You can also keep your interest in Music and History as hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

stay away from history if you don't like essay writing and i'd advise to pick all 3 sciences, if not then definitely Biology and Chemistry or Physics and Chemistry. My friend did both Biology and Physics once she was studying plant responses then about circuits both are really different :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Hate to drag up an old thread, but for anybody who cares

It's your thread, and it's hardly old :pac: And I do care! You had the same dilemma as me.
    I love history, but even at JC there was a lot of learning and essay writing involved and from what I've read it doesn't get any better at LC.
    Oh god it's pretty much entirely essays for the LC - still, if you're smart and assiduous it's very much a doable A1. Not much use going to class for three years of it, it's the studying at home that matters really, if you tend to form your own opinions and whatnot (and you seem well read and intelligent, so I'm guessing you do) :)

The only thing is you'd need to do a project, preferably in 5th year, if you want to sit the exam without taking the class.

I say good choice! French is something I'd advise you to start working at as soon as possible, you can't cram it. If you're not too worried about scraping an A1, you can leave the sciences slide somewhat, til the LC :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katie97123

Biology is easy enough! Mainly rote learning and I find it pretty intersting! Would defo go with that! Personally I hate chemistry, it's really hard and there is no crossover between the two! Also don't base them off what you did for junior cert because it is completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 libra33

If you have the choice do all three! If not I would highly advise doing chemistry first of all. It is the science that will benefit you the most for the future. To add to that it is a really enjoyable subject. I will admit it is tough but if you have an interest in science you will love it. Biology is relatively easy if you study! Note the last part ... If you study for biology you will ace the exam. The problem with biology though is that the course is HUGE

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ABCE

I do those 7 as well along with Applied Maths. Though many people would advise not doing all 3 sciences, it's really not that tough once you put your mind to it and do the required study(which isn't extreme). I'd say for me Biology is the easiest. Basically just learning off loads of definitions and understanding a few concepts. Chemisty's probably the hardest of the 3 but it's still very much manageable. Our teacher was saying that they had extended the course slightly so that we would need to go a tad bit faster than his normal teaching speed, but promised we would finish the course next year before the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I do biology and chemistry. Biology's pretty much easy to learn BUT there is a lot to learn 42 chapters if I'm not mistaken but a lot of them overlap especially in unit 2 and unit 3.
    What I find with chemistry is that you have to study with exam papers. There's a lot of extra material in the book you can leave out sometimes and making your own notes and using revision books is a lot easier than using a textbook.
    Not too sure about physics, judging by the posts above it seems a bit more mathsy than biology or chemistry.

Advertisement