Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sailing gear for a beginner

Options
  • 03-01-2015 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Started sailing this year mainly on cruisers as crew but have been doing some dinghy sailing over the last few months.

I'm looking for gear mainly for cruiser sailing as I've already a wetsuit etc for the dinghy sailing and it was mentioned this could be a good time of the year to get a bargain.

Anyone recommend places to look either online or otherwise?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi vigos welcome, Iidl sometimes do gear so worth keeping an eye out you could also try.

http://marineparts.ie/clothing-en/

http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/sailing_wear.html

http://www.dinghysupplies.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I happened on a pair of Musto legs in my size about two years ago at a bargain price in Viking Marine in DL. They remain the one and only sailing gear bargain I've ever found.

Sailing gear never seems to be reduced!

Having said that, if you're in the south of the country, CH Marine in Skibbereen always seems to turn up good deals for pals of mine. Maybe they're just lucky.

In my experience, old-fashioned legwork in the B&M shops is the only way, and hope you get lucky. I'm reluctant to shop online because of the huge variation in size and shape of various brands of gear.

Try
    53 Degrees North (very limited range of sailing gear)
    Western Marine, Dalkey (same as above)
    Viking Marine in Dun Laoghaire
    Great Outdoors

Good luck!

Oh, and keep an eye out for Lidl/Aldi specials around April time - they haven't had sailing gear for a good few years now, but they did for a few years - mostly crap but one year Lidl (I think) had really good stuff. If they have that stuff this year it'd be good for a start anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

try some of the UK websites they have a good selection but the downside of not been able to try stuff n so know ur sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I know it's not what you asked, but on a related note, I wouldn't go buying top of the line stuff if you're just starting to get into it. Personally, I'd get middle of the road quality stuff and get a really good lifejacket, then gradually improve your gear as it wears out.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Thanks all for the ideas will be sure to check the sites out and shops.
    Deenie123 wrote: »
    I know it's not what you asked, but on a related note, I wouldn't go buying top of the line stuff if you're just starting to get into it. Personally, I'd get middle of the road quality stuff and get a really good lifejacket, then gradually improve your gear as it wears out.

Agreed and that was my plan I've a pretty decent lifejacket but have been using walking gear which doesn't really stand up in heavy weather on a boat so was looking for something a bit more suitable but even the middle of the road stuff still looks pricey! :)

• Advertisement

What sort of cruiser sailing is it?

'Round the cans' inshore racing?
    Longer offshore passages?
    Distance races?

The answer to that will actually determine the type of gear you need. A lot of the stuff you'll see is waaaay overspec'ed for what most beginners actually need.

vigos wrote: »
    Thanks all for the ideas will be sure to check the sites out and shops.

Agreed and that was my plan I've a pretty decent lifejacket but have been using walking gear which doesn't really stand up in heavy weather on a boat so was looking for something a bit more suitable but even the middle of the road stuff still looks pricey! :)

It is, end of! But the difference half-decent gear makes in your comfort and enjoyment of sailing is immense.

Are you racing or cruising?

Once/if you know that you're going to keep up the sailing, then start a piggy bank and make the investment(s) - first on my list would be a decent set of legs (although every one of mine has resulted in a wet arse six months down the line, manufacturers seem to be incapable of making a properly waterproof set of legs for some reason), followed by a good jacket.

Although boots would be fairly well up my list now that I think of it..... and gloves.

Yes, it's an expensive hobby - but worth every penny if you can afford it!

ETA - oh, and what part of the country are you in? All my suggestions were for Dublin as that's where I live/sail/know!

And what Deenie says above is 100% right - tailor your gear to what you're actually doing.

Incidentally, the best investment I ever made in sailing gear has been knee pads:

http://www.sailingproshop.com/accessories-clothing-knee-pads

I have the first pair and they work like a charm. They've saved me from many, many painful bruises.

Incidentally, the best investment I ever made in sailing gear has been knee pads:

http://www.sailingproshop.com/accessories-clothing-knee-pads

I have the first pair and they work like a charm. They've saved me from many, many painful bruises.

Agreed.

But don't get these ones if you have any way big legs

http://www.sailingproshop.com/Products/Gill-Neoprene-Knee-Pads__GL4512.aspx

The velcro on them has cut the backs of my knees to ribbons :mad:

Top of my current wishlist is kneepads with no velcro!

OP, to give you a slightly more definitive answer.

On a cruiser, presuming (seeing as you're a beginner) that you're out in relatively mild conditions, for relatively short durations, I would look at stuff like this:

http://www.gillmarine.com/ie/products/coast-trousers-2685/2677
    http://www.gillmarine.com/ie/products/coast-jacket-2682/2673
    http://www.gillmarine.com/ie/products/championship-gloves-long-finger-115/168

I've found gill to be great quality for their price in general, and their gloves have improved massively with the latest redesign.

As far as jackets go, I've the womens version of the jacket I've linked to. It's 10 years old and in great condition, used with reasonable frequency over that time. It's not fleece lined or anything, and I would recommend going down that route as a beginner. In winter you can put a mid-layer coat under it for warmth, but in foul summer weather you can have your jacket on without roasting alive. I like high-cut collars because when it goes foul you can turn your collar up to the weather and sink your head down into it :D

With trousers... I'd be a bit philosophical about them, even when you're long established in your sailing hobby... First and foremost, get comfortable trousers. They need to be long enough, longer than you'd think because they'll tend to ride up over the tops of your boots after you've been scooting around the deck a little bit. Secondly, don't go OTT on quality. If you're on the bow or in the pit, you'll get a year or two out of them no matter how fancy they are. If you're not on the bow or pit... You probably don't need all the quality and spec they'll try and sell you. So just go with comfy waterproofs with long enough legs. If you're long-legged, I find gill good. Musto cut shorter in the leg. Not sure about Henri-Lloyd (always been out of my budget!). You might even consider something like this: http://www.gillmarine.com/ie/products/pro-salopettes-425/882

Boots: Get the cheapest pair that are comfortable! Then, when you've spent a bit of time in them you'll know what do you and don't want in a boot next time around. No point spending big bucks when you're not yet sure of what you want.

• Advertisement

What sort of cruiser sailing is it?

'Round the cans' inshore racing?
    Longer offshore passages?
    Distance races?

The answer to that will actually determine the type of gear you need. A lot of the stuff you'll see is waaaay overspec'ed for what most beginners actually need.

So far I've only been doing inshore racing

So far I've only been doing inshore racing

In that case the stuff in my post above is perfectly adequate for that. Wouldn't bother going any higher-spec.

Keep an eye on TK Maxx, too. I've gotten sailing gear in there in spring in the past. Decent stuff, too.

I'm based around the midlands so Dublin isn't too far away, guess I could always try Galway as well too.

So for a decent bottom of the range trousers, jacket and boots I'd be looking around €300 or so? Trousers and boots at least are what I was thinking of first and maybe re-use the spray top I've been using for dinghy sailing if weather is bad with layers underneath should at least keep me warm and reasonably dry seeing as I'm never out for very long i.e. 4/5 hours tops

Anyway a good bit to take in and will investigate, thanks again!

I'm based around the midlands so Dublin isn't too far away, guess I could always try Galway as well too.

So for a decent bottom of the range trousers, jacket and boots I'd be looking around €300 or so? Trousers and boots at least are what I was thinking of first and maybe re-use the spray top I've been using for dinghy sailing if weather is bad with layers underneath should at least keep me warm and reasonably dry seeing as I'm never out for very long i.e. 4/5 hours tops

Anyway a good bit to take in and will investigate, thanks again!

All sounds about right. Your dinghy cag should do fine for the time being. The jacket is nice to have, but if the budget is being pinched and you already have something you can use for the top... I'd go with the boots and trousers first!

Try the Dubarry factory shop in Ballinasloe if you're ever near there for boots. They don't have much in stock these days but you might be lucky. Leather boots are a whole world apart (ie better!) than rubber ones!

Agree with above advice re legs, I'd go for them before a jacket if you have to choose.

Oh, and also, if you're using a self-inflating lifejacket, make sure to have it serviced.

Bit of a hobbyhorse of mine!

But you wouldn't believe the amount of man overboards I've seen where the lifejacket didn't inflate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've gear from decathlon and find it great look online decathlon.co.uk and take a spin up to belfast but check what they have in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Don't forget the various second hand sites - adverts.ie etc.
    There's often gear on those that people no longer use/have replaced.
    That's where my boots came from (although the person was a boardie too).

TK Maxx apparently have sailing brands in occasionally. I've never gotten any Musto/Gill etc. there, but the warm coat I use sailing is a ski jacket I got there. It does the job perfectly and since I get seasick I don't think I'll be doing any offshore so an upgrade to a real sailing jacket won't be necessary.

Also don't knock some cheap gear. In the warmer part of the summer I use a cheap E10 Dunnes stores light rain proof wind cheater type thing with thermals/long sleeved t-shirt/fleece underneath. I'm much more mobile in that then in the full heavy jacket and if it's not lashing it keep me dry and warm.

Salopettes I just bought full price from viking marine in the end, but again keep an eye out on adverts, done deal etc.

Oh yes and knee pads, knee pads, knee pads. They are my number 1 most essential piece of sailing gear.

I've a buoyancy aid for the time being as I can use it for both dinghy and cruiser sailing. Was going to leave the self inflatable till later once I'm sure its something I'm going to keep up. Yeah I've also been told told and warned by people I've sailed with about making sure it's serviced but it's something that there's no harm in hearing multiple times.

I've also seen the gear on decathlon not sure I'd make it up there anytime soon, as for TK Maxx I'll keep an out next time I'm near one.

Balinasloe is not very far away so it's a place I could check up but have already been thinking of the rubber boot option.

I thought knee pads were frowned upon? :) but I've never let comfort get in the way before and they seem pretty cheap so could always add them to the list

Forgot about adverts/donedeal will give them a look

I thought knee pads were frowned upon? :) but I've never let comfort get in the way before and they seem pretty cheap so could always add them to the list

I've had the occasional slagging, but only ever in good nature. Any eejit can be a hard man with hard bruised knees. Why not be comfy when sailing? It's far more enjoyable!

• Advertisement

I've had the occasional slagging, but only ever in good nature. Any eejit can be a hard man with hard bruised knees. Why not be comfy when sailing? It's far more enjoyable!

Knee pads can go under your inner legs, and would definitely go under your outer legs - so no-one need ever know you're wearing them if you don't tell :D

Anyway, at least half the racing population wear them so I've never heard of any stigma associated with them.

Agree that gear you need/want depends on when and where you're sailing. If it's summer, as someone else said, a light jacket with layers underneath it is your best bet. The colder it gets and the longer you spend on a boat each time, the better/heavier gear you'll want. No sailing gear has any insulation at all - it's all about keeping dry, the warmth comes from what you have on underneath - but if you're out for a long time in all sorts of weather you'll welcome a bloody great big collar and a decent hood, and handwarmer pockets - none of which you'll find in the lighter cag-type jackets. But if you're out for a couple of round-the-cans hours in summertime a jacket like that is more of a hindrance than a help.

Oh, and for sure keep an eye out for merino wool base layers in Lidl/Aldi - sometimes they appear with the cycling or walking specials - best base layers ever, EVER.

Icebreaker is the real deal, but costs an absolute bomb. The ones from Lidl/Aldi are much lighter (although obviously Icebreaker have lightweight ranges as well) but are a serious bargain if you can find them.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh, and for sure keep an eye out for merino wool base layers in Lidl/Aldi - sometimes they appear with the cycling or walking specials - best base layers ever, EVER.

Icebreaker is the real deal, but costs an absolute bomb. The ones from Lidl/Aldi are much lighter (although obviously Icebreaker have lightweight ranges as well) but are a serious bargain if you can find them.

Yeah have a load of base layers already from Aldi/lidl they're great alright. The main parts I'm missing are basically the waterproof outer layers which many of you have already given me great tips on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

15% OFF selected clothing lines, all current AW2014 stock online or in store use Discount Code JAN15 at the checkout http://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/sailing_wear.html :)

Advertisement