Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hg658c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Can you change the DDNS settings to whatever provider you want with this firmware?

are you stuck with DynDNS & TZ0?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what 3g/4g dongles does this support if u use the O2 firmware?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How do you use the USB port on the Vodafone HG658c? According to the manual, it should work but I cannot get it to see the printer through the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

http://192.168.1.1/html/content.asp

Login as admin and goto>advanced>usb port>printer server.
    That should explain it and it worked for me.

kingtiger wrote: »
    Can you change the DDNS settings to whatever provider you want with this firmware?

are you stuck with DynDNS & TZ0?

I tried that O2 firmware and I was still stuck with those two.
    I've since reverted to VF F/W Ver B214.
    HTH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

peking97 wrote: »
    http://192.168.1.1/html/content.asp

Login as admin and goto>advanced>usb port>printer server.
    That should explain it and it worked for me.

I tried following that but the printer fails to be found.

I think I need a dummy set of instructions.

Is the printer just connected or does it need some changes on the printer or on the modem?

Do I need to specify the address for the printer? It suggests "http://192.168.1.1:631/printers/hp3845"
    Which does not appear to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jt72

I've flashed the Huawei firmware, thanks for sharing the info.

Looking at the managment pages, there is now a Link Settings page with several tabs:
    ATM / PTM / Ethernet / UMTS

Do you need these values after restoring to default settings?

Additionally, the WAN page lists 4 WAN connections, of which I believe only the PTM_TR069 values matter.

There's a password field that's hidden - do we need that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

It is ESSENTIAL that your RESET to DEFAULT settings after you flash the O2 firmware, otherwise the Vodafone settings are still in place. So many folk simply ignore this step and then wonder why they are getting nowhere.

I know you have to reset to factory - I'm just making sure I have the info I need to apply to get a connection afterwards.

I've taken some screenshots of the pages I think might be relevant. I was asking if the username (XXX@vfiefttc.ie) and password (masked) are required - or perhaps other values are required?

Screenshot%202014-10-01%2009.44.20.png?dl=1

Screenshot%202014-10-01%2009.44.15.png?dl=1

Screenshot%202014-10-01%2009.44.03.png?dl=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Would there be anything useful to the average consumer that this ads?

More options, more features etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

a good question

Would there be anything useful to the average consumer that this ads?

More options, more features etc.

VOIP for starters.

My reason to unlock it was to use it with Eircom when we moved from Vodafone. We had ADSL2. When fibre arrived, Eircom provided an F1000 and my HG658c went to an OpenWRT hacker in Romania. Unlocked you can use it with any ISP, but it needs to be configured for that ISP. Most ISPs provide a howto or faq on how to do that.

VOIP for starters.

My reason to unlock it was to use it with Eircom when we moved from Vodafone. We had ADSL2. When fibre arrived, Eircom provided an F1000 and my HG658c went to an OpenWRT hacker in Romania. Unlocked you can use it with any ISP, but it needs to be configured for that ISP. Most ISPs provide a howto or faq on how to do that.

Are you able to install OpenWRT/DDWRT on this? Now that I'd be interested in!

VoIP wouldn't be useful personally as I have a landline number already.

So basically it just ads features you can tinker with but no real use for the average consumer?

Are you able to install OpenWRT/DDWRT on this? ..

Openwrt wont ever happen on this box with xDSL, imo. Well established patent rights will prevail.

Adding VOIP is of great interest to many customers, esp folk with long distance voice requiremenost ISPs have a direct commercial interest in eliminating it.

A minor plus for some users, is that with an unlocked hg658c, you can prevent Vodafone from removing, at will, any security you have on your router via TR-069.

A minor plus for some users, is that with an unlocked hg658c, you can prevent Vodafone from removing, at will, any security you have on your router via TR-069.

Can that not be done already on the standard VF F/W by unticking the TR069 boxes under BASIC>WAN tabs?

Openwrt wont ever happen on this box with xDSL, imo. Well established patent rights will prevail.

Adding VOIP is of great interest to many customers, esp folk with long distance voice requiremenost ISPs have a direct commercial interest in eliminating it.

Oh that's a shame, would love to have that on the router.

Cheers for clearing that up Dermot!

One thing I did notice was that I cannot assign a static lease / fixed DHCP address.

It is interesting that there was an ACL there in the old version for HTTPS traffic from 213.233.159.69 (owned by Vodafone) which permitted HTTPS traffic into your device from WAN direction. I could not remove that with the old firmware.

Disabling TR069 is of interest as well for certain. I purchased this device from Vodafone when I signed up, I didn't give them the authority to administer it.

For the average user, particularly those not interested in SIP or not interested in kicking Vodafone out of their router, there is not much else I could see.

For those who try, you'll have to delete the default WAN connection and create a new one. It would not let me change the type of the PTM WAN connection.

You'll also need your modem's serialnumber@vfiefttc.ie username, and the password (broadband) to connect via PPPoE. The rest of the settings at default are fine IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I noticed vectoring has been enabled on my cabinet but my attainables remained the same. I figured this was due to me flashing my router with O2 firmware and missed out on the vectoring upgrade. I restored default setting and couldn't connect to the Internet for 2 days. I had a technician out from Eircom this morning and he there's nothing wrong with the line so it must be the router. I rang Vodafone and told them I flashed it with O2 firmware and they told said I'll need a new router, which will cost me around €50.

I ordered a new router from Vodafone, then I realised I could use another internet connection to access the Vodafone forum and see if I can download the latest firmware there. Got it anyway, went home and flashed the router this evening. Finally got the internet working and upgraded to a higher profile.

I told Vodafone to cancel the new router but it's sent out in the post already, so I just have to sent the router back (via freepost) when I recieve it and they won't charge the €50.

All in all, I'm never flashing that router again.

I noticed vectoring has been enabled on my cabinet but my attainables remained the same. I figured this was due to me flashing my router with O2 firmware and missed out on the vectoring upgrade. I restored default setting and couldn't connect to the Internet for 2 days. I had a technician out from Eircom this morning and he there's nothing wrong with the line so it must be the router. I rang Vodafone and told them I flashed it with O2 firmware and they told said I'll need a new router, which will cost me around €50.

I ordered a new router from Vodafone, then I realised I could use another internet connection to access the Vodafone forum and see if I can download the latest firmware there. Got it anyway, went home and flashed the router this evening. Finally got the internet working and upgraded to a higher profile.

I told Vodafone to cancel the new router but it's sent out in the post already, so I just have to sent the router back (via freepost) when I recieve it and they won't charge the €50.

All in all, I'm never flashing that router again.

You shouldn't have said to them you flashed it, should have just said it just stopped working and they would have gave you one for free!

You shouldn't have said to them you flashed it, should have just said it just stopped working and they would have gave you one for free!

If you unlock by flashing the O2 firmware, you can always return to "normal" by flashing the vodafone firmware - available free of charge on their website. You won't even lose the settings you put in place while using the O2 firmware - unless you Reset to Defaults. Providing an ISP a gratuitous opportunity to rip you off is just foolish, they will avail of every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

does the vodafone fibre modem hg658c offer 5ghz 300mbps? i cant find a spec sheet for it anywhere

BArra wrote: »
    does the vodafone fibre modem hg658c offer 5ghz ..

No 5GHz, 2.4Ghz wifi modes b/g/n.

thanks, thats dissapointing.

so does the 2.4ghz n band push out 300mbps or what is the maxrate

BArra wrote: »
    thanks, thats dissapointing.

so does the 2.4ghz n band push out 300mbps or what is the maxrate

It's got a MIMO 2x2 antenna array so, on paper, it can sync at 300mbps but the wifi radios wont deliver that. The Atheros radio in the older HG556a is well superior in actual throughput, that device makes a nice cheap wifi repeater with OpenWRT.

is there any way to change what wifi channel the hg658c is using?

its picked a channel thats not the best available for me, ive logged into the router with admin/admin1234 but in status/wifi there is no field to let me change the wifi channel?

nevermind: basic settings has the options. doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

hello there, just fancy re-flashing my hg658c modem i have got off vodafone - i know im stuck with VF BB for 12 or 18months contract or whatever it is but i still would like the idea of changing the internet username and password settings should i want to try it with different BB supplier and thats something you cannot do wth it flashed with VF firmware because they have disabled the username and pasword in the settings so you cannot input another isp's details - but on my router/modem in the username box is a serial number of the box - if i re-flash with O2 firmware (puts it back to Huawei firmware) and do a factory reset can I not just put in vodafone@vodafone.ie as the username and vodafone (or is it broaband?) as the password for the isp username and password settings and wouldnt that then log me onto vodafone broadband again without having the serial number in the username box? - its normal ADSL we are on by the way not fibre.

one other question my VF HG658c comes with the latest B214 firmware - if i flash with the O2 firmware will it be a latest firmware for that router?

Not sure if you can compare the B214 firmware with the O2 one. If there's a feature missing you can always go back.

As for the password, you can probably use either one - it seems like the SN as the username is working for ADSL sign ons, and the old vodafone@vodafone.ie is working too.

You can try both the firmware and the password combinations. As long as you don't brick your modem you'll be fine and able to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Andy did you follow all the steps and most importantly the one after you flash it? If not the Vodafone settings are still loaded.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Andy did you follow all the steps and most importantly the one after you flash it? If not the Vodafone settings are still loaded.

I havent re-flashed the modem yet but when i do I will surely reset it after i flash it

Advertisement