Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop, coolness, Apple Macbook maybe- for a novice user

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

comforting words indeed, the macbook would not be for me.
    Another question before I purchase today, Apple/Windows file compatibility, can files be swapped between platforms? I'd imagine the end user would want to swap files with usb stick between friends, stuff like music, word files, photos etc, would there be a problem with this from Apple-Windows or visav?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

comforting words indeed, the macbook would not be for me.
    Another question before I purchase today, Apple/Windows file compatibility, can files be swapped between platforms? I'd imagine the end user would want to swap files with usb stick between friends, stuff like music, word files, photos etc, would there be a problem with this from Apple-Windows or visav?

For regular files, such as those you have listed above, no - there will be no problem moving them between Mac and Windows.

Excellent. I think MacBook is the option, I'd like to see these Apples in action anyway, the last one I used was the first ones that ever came out back in 1990 or so, I presume the interface is much nicer now:p

If anyone has any last words please add before lunchtime today. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The biggest problem with mac is that for the starting price of a grand, you still only get a pathetic single gig of ram and an 80gb hard drive. Macs are fine, I like them myself. But if you don't need it for any reason other then 'I like the look of it' then it's a poor option in my opinion, and poor value for money.

Also, regarding BanzaiBK's points, it's a bit null bringing up 'nice and light' and 'Can run free equivilent to MS Office', as any Windows laptop can use Open Office as well, and there are plenty of windows based laptops that are as light as, and lighter, then the Macbook. The 150 euro off is good, but you're still paying more then you would for the equivilent windows based machine. And dual boot is all well and good, but are you going to pay for a windows license?

And Apple charge even worse prices then Dell....140 euro for a 1gb ram upgrade. Interestingly, when I bought my Dell Vostro a few months back, it has almost exactly the same spec's as the Macbook pro (slightly slower processor 2gz vs 2.2Ghz, but better video card) - and it cost 1k less. Just to put that in perspective.

I'm not saying not to buy a Mac. I'm just saying don't buy it for silly reasons. Have a demo of it first, see how you like it, and then decided whether or not you want to shell out. A lot of things come with the mac os as standard that are very handy - but to the people that need them. For someone using the basic functions, going to college, a mac is nothing but a different look that you're paying well for. And the sad truth is that, no matter how much mac fans seem to strangely deny it, many people buy mac's solely on wanting to be cool and different (my sister was keen on buying a mac for 1.5k and suddenly seemed horrified at the fact it wasn't windows :rolleyes:). I know a few people with Mac's, one of my friends spend a fortune on his but he never stops using it, always do video editing on it, etc. Another spent the same money (for the expensive model, god knows why) - all he does is use the internet and maybe type a document once a week...

I know what your saying, if it were for myself I'd go with a high spec Dell or maybe look into a higher spec Apple if I thought I'd get into graphics or something, that won't be on the cards for this apple.

As the title says it is coolness, and as you pointed out Apple has it, it looks like compatability with Windows files and writing Office documents is not an issue. RAM etc is not really an issue in this case either it's just word processing and home entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you like the design, thats reason enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

HavoK wrote: »

Also, regarding BanzaiBK's points, it's a bit null bringing up 'nice and light' and 'Can run free equivilent to MS Office', as any Windows laptop can use Open Office as well, and there are plenty of windows based laptops that are as light as, and lighter, then the Macbook. The 150 euro off is good, but you're still paying more then you would for the equivilent windows based machine. And dual boot is all well and good, but are you going to pay for a windows license?

Regarding your post I was answering the OP's questions, not joining in on the pissing parade with every other post. Didn't the OP request that in his post? :rolleyes:

Indeed I did.
    Thanks all for your input it's been informative.

At the end of the day Apple vs Windows is always going to be about personal preference, you can make any machine do what you want if you have the time.:cool:

Advertisement