Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Personal trainer/instructor course

• 12-09-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi guys,

This question is really directed at people with experiance in the fitness industry.

I am interested in becoming a fitness instructor/personnel trainer.

Wondering what is the best course that would prepare me adequately for setting up and running a successful business in this field.

I have a sports background with some coaching experiance and work out regularly in the gym. Through my previous sports career I have dealt with a number of strength and conditioning officers.

The course I would like would be inclusive of personal training but also need a nutrition aspect aswell.

One that I have been looking at is the Msc excersise and nutriotn from university of Chester which runs in Dublin.

Anyone ever do that course or recommends something similar/better.

Kind regards.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Leisure Industry Academy Dublin combined gym instructor and PT Fasttrack. No question.

Check out the Facebook.

The one you're looking at in Chester is great, but not suitable to learn how to PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gillyhug

Hanley, why do you think the LIA is so good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

If you want to work with people who are very experienced and have the knowledge and know how to back up their teachings, I'd have to agree with LIA. Everything is REPS accredited of course, but I think the great thing about the LIA course is you get to talk and interact with people who really know their stuff and in terms of building a career, you will get also get real world and practical advice on a daily basis. Are there are many other courses out there being taught by guys who are also able to knock out a beast challenge at SFG with ease and running a successful and thriving fitness businesses at the same time? No course is perfect, and I would suggest all have some plus and negative, and in the end you will get out of it exactly what you put in, but I really enjoyed it and took a huge amount of positives from my experience with LIA.

Hope this helps.

gillyhug wrote: »
    Hanley, why do you think the LIA is so good?

Because I tutor there so I know exactly what is taught, and there's no bullsh*t :P
    If you want to work with people who are very experienced and have the knowledge and know how to back up their teachings, I'd have to agree with LIA. Everything is REPS accredited of course, but I think the great thing about the LIA course is you get to talk and interact with people who really know their stuff and in terms of building a career, you will get also get real world and practical advice on a daily basis. Are there are many other courses out there being taught by guys who are also able to knock out a beast challenge at SFG with ease and running a successful and thriving fitness businesses at the same time? No course is perfect, and I would suggest all have some plus and negative, and in the end you will get out of it exactly what you put in, but I really enjoyed it and took a huge amount of positives from my experience with LIA.

Hope this helps.

^^That

Absolutely no course is perfect. And none alone will set you up for a career in the industry, anyone who claims differently is a liar.

What we do @ LIA tho is provide the absolute best grounding possible. Everything is communicated via principles, not just "rules" - you need to learn the rules, then the princples, so you can then learn when it's correct to break the "rules"!

With regards to the actual stuff... As far as I know there's no other course in the country that has the following;

-KB workshop w/ a Beast Tamer and 2 of only 5 SFG L2s in Ireland
    -Self myofacial release workshop lead by an FMS qualified practioner
    -Workshops on squat/bench/deadlift and how to correct and teach clients taught by a national powerlifting champion (me :p)

...and then there's all the other stuff like why processed food is bad, how to eat for success, business building workshops, constant Q&A sessions and a whole truck load of other stuff.

But yup, you do only get out of it what you put into it.

PLus the small class sizes of 8-12 on the PT course is HUGE when it comes to your own learning and development.

I wouldn't tutor there if I didn't believe in it.

Thanks for all the information guys. Looking at the LIA page i don't understand how i can get the qualification in such a short time as in 20 days for the personal training course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Thanks for all the information guys. Looking at the LIA page i don't understand how i can get the qualification in such a short time as in 20 days for the personal training course?

Just listen to the guys! Some great trainers working there & they're producing very good professionals! Hanley loves teaching the excercise to music part of the course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Guys if you don't mind me jumping in on this thread I am also looking to do a PT course.

My goal is to work self employed as a PT in the future so what would you guys recommend.

(please no lectures about running a business etc. etc. just the most suitable course).

Thanks!

Blindside, let me know what information you manage to gather, i have to say i am still very ocnfused. I am still siding with going with the part time course with motions.ie as this is accredited by the University Of Limerick and gains you the highest level of qualification EFQ Level 5 but the LIA gets rave reviews but it is so short i am skeptical.

I will see what I come out with. There are so many options and because we don't know the business too well it can be pretty confusing!

Hopefully we get more info on this thread :).

agreed :-)

• Advertisement

Also do you know if these certs enable you to work self employed as a PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 t_dog

Time for me to jump onto the thread bandwagon too..

I'v gotten from other threads that courses ran by Portobello Institute aren't really looked well upon, but has anyone checked out courses that's they're running in Croke Park? Is it just that the courses are taking place there or does croke park have anything to do with it..? I'm guessing the lack of clarity on their website kinda answers that...

i just spoke last night with a personal trainer at FlyFit who trained at NCT, he gave a really good review about it and thought it setup really well to start training people, so i am going to check them out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

i just spoke last night with a personal trainer at FlyFit who trained at NCT, he gave a really good review about it and thought it setup really well to start training people, so i am going to check them out again

Do you mean NTC? I know people who have trained there and the syllabus is from the dinosaur ages. I acted as the 'trainee' in the PT exam and wasn't impressed.

Listen to the advice you've been given re: LIA.

sorry yes i meant NTC!! Thanks for the feedback. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mark010

I went to *unnamed other course provider* for gym course and quit after the 12 weeks , see these courses that say their 12 weeks or 20 weeks well actually 2 days a week for like 5 hours a day so lets do the math that's 10 hours a week broken in 2.5 of Step to music 2.5 hours of "nutrition" (use that term loosely) 2.5 hours of anatomy and 2.5 of weight training so 120 hours in total over 12 weeks , LIA 2 weeks full time 7 hours a day so 70 hours and no stupid step class and actual Nutritional classes with structure.

When it comes to PT no one offers anything comparable to LIA, 4 weeks fulltime 140 hours in total covering anatomy , nutrition, program design and all funky sh*t Hanley said. I loved the day with Wayne healy doing Olly lifting like no were teaches you how to olly lift on a pt course. Or how to do field conditioning. Its looks at all strength and conditioning elements of working with people and understanding movement better and not just the bodybuilding and fat loss. Try Find me a more well read tutor than Beast tamer Jason Kane

Look at the lads who graduated there and run their own business straight away like Hanley, phil giffney, JT Kenny, Anna Symes.
    all run successful personal training business

just read this like
    http://liadublin.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/james-hanley-the-secret-of-my-success/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Guys if you don't mind me jumping in on this thread I am also looking to do a PT course.

My goal is to work self employed as a PT in the future so what would you guys recommend.

(please no lectures about running a business etc. etc. just the most suitable course).

Thanks!
    Maybe if all the other schools were allowed to advertise here like LIA were then we could have a proper discussion about their merits and the individual strengths and weaknesses of each of the organisations. As it stands you have boards allowing only one organisation...the LIA and one of its instructors...Hanley to have a complete free for all here to promote and advertise their own organisation while heaping scorn and ridicule on their competitors.

Maybe if all the other schools were allowed to advertise here like LIA were then we could have a proper discussion about their merits and the individual strengths and weaknesses of each of the organisations. As it stands you have boards allowing only one organisation...the LIA and one of its instructors...Hanley to have a complete free for all here to promote and advertise their own organisation while heaping scorn and ridicule on their competitors.

That's a bit sh1tty. They're being recommended because they're good, I'd have thought you'd have recognised that more than anyone.

I posted because I've had experience with NTC and it wasn't positive. Isn't that what this is for? Opinions from experience? With LIA, I've no direct experience but I've heard of most of the tutors (obv including Hanley) and a quick background check shows the wealth of experience they have.

If someone wants to bring up other organisations (which I know nothing about so haven't referenced), then I'm sure they will all be discussed equally also.

TheBellJar wrote: »
    That's a bit sh1tty. They're being recommended because they're good, I'd have thought you'd have recognised that more than anyone.

I posted because I've had experience with NTC and it wasn't positive. Isn't that what this is for? Opinions from experience? With LIA, I've no direct experience but I've heard of most of the tutors (obv including Hanley) and a quick background check shows the wealth of experience they have.

If someone wants to bring up other organisations (which I know nothing about so haven't referenced), then I'm sure they will all be discussed equally also.
    So if there were 3 threads on the NTC on the front page of boards with one of the instructors shilling for business boards.ie would be fine with that? What about if it was Optimum Nutrition and one of their sales reps was shilling for business? I am sure plenty of people would have had positive experiences with them as well?

All I am trying to point out is there needs to be some balance and fairness?

I don't have a problem with LIA and I don't have a problem with Hanley.

All I want to see is that there is fairness and balance. A few years ago when Hanley had never been paid to coach anyone if it had of been any other trainer shilling business or the NTC shilling for business on three threads on the front page of this forum he would have been the first one to point out what was happening and be pointing it out.

• Advertisement

So if there were 3 threads on the NTC on the front page of boards with one of the instructors shilling for business boards.ie would be fine with that? What about if it was Optimum Nutrition and one of their sales reps was shilling for business? I am sure plenty of people would have had positive experiences with them as well?

All I am trying to point out is there needs to be some balance and fairness?

I don't have a problem with LIA and I don't have a problem with Hanley.

All I want to see is that there is fairness and balance. A few years ago when Hanley had never been paid to coach anyone if it had of been any other trainer shilling business or the NTC shilling for business on three threads on the front page of this forum he would have been the first one to point out what was happening and be pointing it out.

No-one is shilling for business. You rightly pointed out that Hanley has been posting for years and giving his opinion and advice, should he stop doing that now because he gets paid for it?

No-one from NTC or any other training provider has posted to help the OP, so how can you say they wouldn't be allowed to?

I just don't really see the reasoning behind what you're saying.

No-one is shilling for business. You rightly pointed out that Hanley has been posting for years and giving his opinion and advice, should he stop doing that now because he gets paid for it?

No-one from NTC or any other training provider has posted to help the OP, so how can you say they wouldn't be allowed to?

I work for a company that provides education and accreditation online. How do you think it would go down if I post a link in every thread on the topic?

I've been posting here and providing help here for years as well. How long do you think I would be allowed to leave those links up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WestEffect

Hanley seeing as how you work in LIA can you give me a profile of each lecturer and their relevant Masters or PHD's in their field, indeed your own?.

Just curious to know I couldnt find anything about the lecturers including yourself?, did you do a phD to be able to lecture or how does it work?

I'd want to know a bit more about who is teaching me and their experience and qualifications before I'd hand over any money between LIA and NTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Do you mean NTC? I know people who have trained there and the syllabus is from the dinosaur ages. I acted as the 'trainee' in the PT exam and wasn't impressed.

Listen to the advice you've been given re: LIA.

I was told that they are updating it. They are adding in TRX and Kettlebells. I wouldn't be surprised if they were extras though. I trained there.

The Exercise to Music (ETM) module belongs in a museum. Sure it was a bit of fun, but you are paying upwards of €2,000 for that course, plus €200 for exams, which is a bit much for fun.

The practical exams were very narrow in scope. Most people's ETM 64 counts are very alike. This makes a two hour exam or class, very drawn out. You were strongly advised to do two leg, back, chest and shoulder exercises in the RT exam; one machine and one free weight. You don't really get a chance to display the knowledge you acquired, which was quite a lot for me. The RT tutors, Masters grads, were excellent when I was there.

The two other modules were Sports Nutrition and Anatomy.

What did you dislike about the exam? My body was ready to slap me by the end for constantly repeating what she had to do. I was bored silly too and would never do that to a client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I know Hanley and his background.he's highly qualified in a field outside of coaching albeit not to PhD level.

He's certified now in a myriad of things & will probably keep learning indefinitely.

i obviously can't make assumptions on the other tutors/trainers in LIA.
    I've never met them formally but have trained alongside them in ECB but I doubt if any of them have a PhD in sports science or anything approaching a level 10 qualification.

I don't deem this to be a negative however.
    At some point, you have to take your nose out of the books and spend time under the bar/DB/KB, something these guys have done.

Are their courses a bit pricey?
    Probably.

Do they provide value for money?
    I've yet to hear a complaint.
    So much so, I'm thinking of checking them out just to see what they are all about in person.

I'm not a PT. just a secondary teacher who has a couple of S&C & IRFU quals & coach a school team but I see the value in talking to and learning from people like these

I paid the money in IP (&would have paid more) for about 12 months til it closed, for somewhere to train, but also to listen to Will, Barry & Dan.
    A lot of what I learned there & from the seminars from Jim Wendler & Dan John still inform my coaching philosophy.

The corollary to this is:
    Find the cheapest, shortest course you can do to get insurance to work in the industry, then bust your ass selling yourself & training joe soaps, you're not gonna get athletes and celebs straight away
    That and learn.
    Re-invest in you and your business by training hard and learning hard & getting results for your customers.

WestEffect wrote: »
    Hanley seeing as how you work in LIA can you give me a profile of each lecturer and their relevant Masters or PHD's in their field, indeed your own?.

Just curious to know I couldnt find anything about the lecturers including yourself?, did you do a phD to be able to lecture or how does it work?

I'd want to know a bit more about who is teaching me and their experience and qualifications before I'd hand over any money between LIA and NTC.

I think you're looking for a level 8 BSc degree or a level 9 MSc bro, not a level 4 personal trainer qualification.

Maybe you're after a medical degree?

I spent a phd amount of time under the bar learning from some of the best dudes in the world in their respective fields.

But on the Internet none of that matters I guess.

And no, I'm not going to jump for you. If you'd like to know more about anyone it's very easy to actually drop in and speak to us. If the course doesn't meet your high standards, there's plenty of other training providers you could examine.

Anywho, this is all very typical boards. Someone asks a Q, gets an answer, and then it's open season.

And people wonder why I don't post here much anymore. I can see why Will gets so frustrated.

As for the "pick whatever course it doesn't matter" argument - I see where people are coming from.

No PT course is enough to guarantee success or everything you need to know. That's why I've spent well over 10g's this year on CPD.

BUT if you have to do a course, you may as well do the one that offers the most cool **** from dudes on the front line.

And that's why you should examine the courses and the material on offer.

Hanley wrote: »
    Anywho, this is all very typical boards. Someone asks a Q, gets an answer, and then it's open season.
    Yes, but with the respect comes great responsibility. Personally I don't have a problem with you promoting the your business as people should know what you are doing and where because I am sure you are doing the best job you possibly can.

I think you should be positive though because every time you criticise and ridicule one of the your competitors you don't lift you and your association up you just bring the whole profession and industry down.

Especially when they aren't given a chance to defend themselves. Now I know people will say they could if they wanted to but 1) They don't care because boards is insignificant except to people who post on boards. I'd bet the 95% of the people in any gym have never heard of the Health & Fitness forum. 2) They don't care because all their courses are booked out anyway and the people that do post here aren't their target market.

So all that really happens when there are 3 or 4 threads on the main page of this forum is that it rubbishes the whole industry to the people that do hang out here and that only hurts you and your business long term.
    And people wonder why I don't post here much anymore. I can see why Will gets so frustrated.
    ...and yet it seems like only yesterday you were the kid with your keyboard trying to take a dump on anything I said...it's a shame you miss the irony of what you are saying as you'd be splitting your sides laughing if you realised how ridiculous it is.

As for the "pick whatever course it doesn't matter" argument - I see where people are coming from.

No PT course is enough to guarantee success or everything you need to know. That's why I've spent well over 10g's this year on CPD.

BUT if you have to do a course, you may as well do the one that offers the most cool **** from dudes on the front line.

And that's why you should examine the courses and the material on offer.
    I think it does matter....I just think you need to start off from a point of:

1) What do I need to be accredited and insured and what is the cheapest way to achieve that.

2) Then how much am I will to pay in excess of that to get instructed in the things I want to be accredited in or learn about for it's own sake.

I think for HEAPS of people that will still be your course that you instruct.

• Advertisement

Yes, but with the respect comes great responsibility. Personally I don't have a problem with you promoting the your business as people should know what you are doing and where because I am sure you are doing the best job you possibly can.

I think you should be positive though because every time you criticise and ridicule one of the your competitors you don't lift you and your association up you just bring the whole profession and industry down.

Especially when they aren't given a chance to defend themselves. Now I know people will say they could if they wanted to but 1) They don't care because boards is insignificant except to people who post on boards. I'd bet the 95% of the people in any gym have never heard of the Health & Fitness forum. 2) They don't care because all their courses are booked out anyway and the people that do post here aren't their target market.

So all that really happens when there are 3 or 4 threads on the main page of this forum is that it rubbishes the whole industry to the people that do hang out here and that only hurts you and your business long term.

...and yet it seems like only yesterday you were the kid with your keyboard trying to take a dump on anything I said...it's a shame you miss the irony of what you are saying as you'd be splitting your sides laughing if you realised how ridiculous it is.

1) it's not "my business" from a financial standpoint - so please don't suggest that as it is complete misrepresentation

2) where did I tear anyone down in these threads? I assume you're suggesting I did because you're quoting my post and saying it

3) no one seems to be denying anyone a chance to do anything - I don't see them actively contributing, I'm sure they could if they wanted

4) boards has about a 5% effect on my own personal business - if anyone is under the impression my time here is spent trying to drive that figure up, they're be massively mistaken. And I'd be an awful moron for wasting my time

5) I anticipate a line by line reply :)

1) it's not "my business" from a financial standpoint - so please don't suggest that as it is complete misrepresentation
    Do you get paid for your work? Do you pay tax on your income? What do you have down as your profession on your tax return? Fitness training and instruction is your business and to be honest I don't think that anyone thinks for a second that I was inferring that you are the sole proprietor or the owner of the college for whom you work. No one thinks that I was inferring that you own the buildings, that you run the administration, that you pay the staff, that you implement the sales and marketing strategy or that you are the person that banks all the profit so of all the things/points to take me up on....this one is a bit of a stretch.
    2) where did I tear anyone down in these threads? I assume you're suggesting I did because you're quoting my post and saying it
    I will go and have a look so I can provide examples...in the meantime you should probably go back and 'unthank' all those posts where people sung your praises and took a dump on other associations. People might misinterpret that as you 'thanking' them for rubbishing competitors.
    3) no one seems to be denying anyone a chance to do anything - I don't see them actively contributing, I'm sure they could if they wanted
    My point was that they don't even know that they are being dumped on because they don't know or care about this places existence. That doesn't excuse the fact that people are rubbishing them here and they aren't in a position to defend themselves.

Actually while I am going back and looking at the threads and the criticisms and ridicule people have dumped on the other associations I will take the time to put together an email to each of them so they can get the 'highlights'. I'll cc you and the college you work for on each of them so maybe then they will be able to decide if they want to defend themselves and their industry.

If anyone else wants to be cc'd on these emails just send me a PM and I will add you to the mailing list.
    4) boards has about a 5% effect on my own personal business - if anyone is under the impression my time here is spent trying to drive that figure up, they're be massively mistaken. And I'd be an awful moron for wasting my time
    I'd say boards is probably responsible for slightly more than 5% of your business? Are you seriously saying that only 1 in 20 of your clients know or have heard of you from boards Health & Fitness forum? I would find that remarkable and borderline completely unbelievable...but if you say so.
    5) I anticipate a line by line reply :)
    I was going to actually start breaking sentences down.

This doesn't set off anyones interwebz bullsh*t detector? Not even a little bit?

That is the thread about the BEST personal trainer and instructor course you have Mark wander in and his very first post is extolling the magnificence of LIA...right after he takes a dump generally on any and all 'other providers' as well as singling Hanley out for special praise and generally getting all up on all the other instructors.

This is the dodgiest first post I've seen in a long time. Have a read of it again? If I am wrong and this is just a legit first post here then maybe my internet bullish*t detector needs a service.
    Mark010 wrote: »
    I went to *unnamed other course provider* for gym course and quit after the 12 weeks , see these courses that say their 12 weeks or 20 weeks well actually 2 days a week for like 5 hours a day so lets do the math that's 10 hours a week broken in 2.5 of Step to music 2.5 hours of "nutrition" (use that term loosely) 2.5 hours of anatomy and 2.5 of weight training so 120 hours in total over 12 weeks , LIA 2 weeks full time 7 hours a day so 70 hours and no stupid step class and actual Nutritional classes with structure.

When it comes to PT no one offers anything comparable to LIA, 4 weeks fulltime 140 hours in total covering anatomy , nutrition, program design and all funky sh*t Hanley said. I loved the day with Wayne healy doing Olly lifting like no were teaches you how to olly lift on a pt course. Or how to do field conditioning. Its looks at all strength and conditioning elements of working with people and understanding movement better and not just the bodybuilding and fat loss. Try Find me a more well read tutor than Beast tamer Jason Kane

Look at the lads who graduated there and run their own business straight away like Hanley, phil giffney, JT Kenny, Anna Symes.
    all run successful personal training business

just read this like
    http://liadublin.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/james-hanley-the-secret-of-my-success/

So after that...the post gets thanked by another first time poster and then Hanley gets to quote the link where he gets to talk about how awesome LIA is again and pretend like he hates it.

I just think that what is going on here reeks and a few years ago when Hanley was just a guy reading everything he could and training hard and trying to learn as much as he could he'd have been in this thread having a monkey fit and screaming blue murder because his bullish*t detector would have been screaming.

To be fair, the implication that anyone, no matter how good a coach, even Wayne Healy who I have great respect for, could teach someone the Olympic lifts in one weekend , does reek of BS.
    And while including a weightlifting module in a PT qual (albeit in a weekend workshop) is laudable, it's also potentially dangerous if the PT leaves thinking he/she knows what they're at after 5 mins under the bar.

And yeah, athlete Hanley may have screamed blue murder over shilling, but he's not athlete Hanley anymore, he's business owner Hanley & although he promotes his business unapologetically on fb & his newsletter, he's far less aggressive with that stuff on boards to the point where I don't think he's shilling at all, but I could be wrong.

But my bulls$hi1t Meter is quite good.

To be fair, the implication that anyone, no matter how good a coach, even Wayne Healy who I have great respect for, could teach someone the Olympic lifts in one weekend , does reek of BS.
    And while including a weightlifting module in a PT qual (albeit in a weekend workshop) is laudable, it's also potentially dangerous if the PT leaves thinking he/she knows what they're at after 5 mins under the bar.

And yeah, athlete Hanley may have screamed blue murder over shilling, but he's not athlete Hanley anymore, he's business owner Hanley & although he promotes his business unapologetically on fb & his newsletter, he's far less aggressive with that stuff on boards to the point where I don't think he's shilling at all, but I could be wrong.

But my bulls$hi1t Meter is quite good.
    You think that is a legit first post...that they just happened by boards and the first thing they said just happened to say and to do was to dump on every other course in the country and then praise LIA, Hanley and all the other instructors on the course and that Mark is completely unknown to LIA, Hanley and the other instructors....that this post of his is just pure coincidence?

You think that there are 3+ posts on the main page of boards and every single one on them is promoting LIA and to various extents rubbishing any and all the other courses/colleges/associations is all just pure coincidence?

Maybe my detector is broken.

I didn't comment on the legitimacy of the first post.

I commented in the legitimacy of Hanleys contributions.
    Big difference.

Don't jump the shark & put words in my mouth Will, please and thank you.

• Advertisement

I didn't comment on the legitimacy of the first post.

I commented in the legitimacy of Hanleys contributions.
    Big difference.

Don't jump the shark & put words in my mouth Will, please and thank you.
    Just some points using this misunderstanding as an example:
    1. You completely misunderstood and misinterpreted my reply.
    2. I understand why people think I am an a-hole and I genuinely believe at least 50% of the time it's for this reason i.e that they just didn't get me or that I didn't make myself clear.
    3. I press 'quote' to often when I really should press 'reply'.
    4. I agreed with everything you had written and was 'building' on it not criticising, dismissing, questioning or ridiculing it.
    5. I wonder how many kids actually know where the phrase 'jump the shark' comes from?

1. i didnt misunderstand. you didnt explain properly

2. i don't think you're an a-hole.

3. Thanks for clarifying.

4. Thank you

5. Ehhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 11 t_dog

This doesn't set off anyones interwebz bullsh*t detector? Not even a little bit?

That is the thread about the BEST personal trainer and instructor course you have Mark wander in and his very first post is extolling the magnificence of LIA...

So after that...the post gets thanked by another first time poster and then Hanley gets to quote the link where he gets to talk about how awesome LIA is again and pretend like he hates it.

I thanked him because of the rough breakdown of hours spent on different modules in the course. When trying to figure out what course I'll eventually choose, I'll now be doing this.

I've studied anatomy, kinesiology, physiology at university level (level 8), but changed courses so I have nothing to show for it. I want a course with more of an emphasis on these, rather than step class, etc. I'm pretty much looking for a course that's information heavy, without having to commit to a full time masters that won't qualify me to be a PT.

I didn't thank him for his glowing reference of LIA, I thanked him for showing another way to compare courses.

I'll be interested in Hanley's view. He's got time to turn up and thank posts. He's always been the first one to call bullish*t in the past and yet on this....nothing? If you want to train and coach on your credibility then no matter who you are you better step up and show you have some.

I am not seeing it. I am seeing shilling...I am seeing a complete set up and a 'working' of boards the way other 'trainers' (that comment is used loosely) that he was only to happy to call out in the past have 'worked' around boards rules and I think it stinks to high heaven. It reflects poorly on him and the association he works for and he should put a stop to it. Marvellous Mark who turned up just in time to crap all over all the colleges and organisations that were here long before Hanley found t-nation and the LIA ever existed and to sing the praises of LIA and Hanley and the other lecturers should probably identify himself and apologise for attempting to take the absolute p*ss out of boards readers.

As I said...this whole thing stinks to high heaven. It doesn't need to go down like this and it should stop now.

Is that where we've got to? This sort of rubbish is what drags the entire industry down.

hi all, loving the debate here! The difference for me is that i am not looking to do a course in short as period as possible to get out into the market and start teaching. I can only do a part time course as i will be keeping my full time job so i am happy for it to be spread over a year as long as the course is going to really teach me as much as possible about the human body, the best way to train and nutritional information.
    I am still siding towards the NCEF course, my only concern is hearing from you guys that the teachings are out of date, does anyone have evidence of this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes, it does. Next time can you report any alarm bells please?

This thread is locked for now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement