Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In what way?

In worldwide audience figures and public consciousness. People outside of Germany only pay attention to the Bundesliga when the champions league semi's roll around every year and they realise the Germans have a team or two in them. It's sad but true.

Money too. I'd wager the average player wage in the EPL is higher than it is in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

MD1990 wrote: »
    Eriksen i feel is very overated imo
    whenever ive seen for Denmark or in the CL he hasn't impressed me at all
    Coutinho is a much better player imo

Fully agree with you here. Have seen Eriksen at the WC 2010 (I know he was only 18) and he looked completely lost. Same again at the European champs. Happened to catch Denmark v Czech Rep last September and he was anonymous. From what I have heard he wasn't much better in the return which Denmark won comfortably. 3 goals in 35 apps for Denmark (all against poor opposition) does not speak volumes. As for Mickey Ryan - from the few clips I've seen he is a far more dynamic player across the front. He was impressive home and away against ROI a few years back and has managed to find the net against some high profile opponents Internationally. Here's hoping to see him in red next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Kirby wrote: »
    In worldwide audience figures and public consciousness. People outside of Germany only pay attention to the Bundesliga when the champions league semi's roll around every year and they realise the Germans have a team or two in them. It's sad but true.

Money too. I'd wager the average player wage in the EPL is higher than it is in Germany.

And the pl is more competitive its not good when you sell your best players to your arch rival who battered you in the league I would be very surprised if b Munich don't win the league by a mile again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Fully agree with you here. Have seen Eriksen at the WC 2010 (I know he was only 18) and he looked completely lost. Same again at the European champs. Happened to catch Denmark v Czech Rep last September and he was anonymous. From what I have heard he wasn't much better in the return which Denmark won comfortably. 3 goals in 35 apps for Denmark (all against poor opposition) does not speak volumes. As for Mickey Ryan - from the few clips I've seen he is a far more dynamic player across the front. He was impressive home and away against ROI a few years back and has managed to find the net against some high profile opponents Internationally. Here's hoping to see him in red next season.

I have to agree. He looks a decent player but IMO a player we do not need. He also failed to impress every time I saw him play. Maybe his rep was too big, I dont know.

Another thing that surprised me was the apparent lack of interest from other clubs.

Anyway good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nucker wrote: »
    What's the latest on Iago Aspas?

His twitter account declares
    Former celta de vigo and currently in liverpool football club!

I think we'll finally see him and Toure and hopefully a couple more on July 1st, in a massive picture with Ian Ayre and Zafar Iqbal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

And the pl is more competitive its not good when you sell your best players to your arch rival who battered you in the league I would be very surprised if b Munich don't win the league by a mile again next year

There's been seasons where the EPL has been won well in advance of the season's end.
    In the last 10 years Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Dortmund and Munich have all won the Bundeliga.
    Back to back titles is the most that's been done in that time frame, no 3 in a row.

In England in the corresponding period, the EPL has been won by Arsenal, Chelsea Utd and City.

Yes Goetze to Munich isn't good for competition, Dortmund's efforts to try and sell Lewendaski to anyone but Munich is a good sign for the league.
    The idea that Munich are going to dominate the Bundesliga forever isn't a new one. Hasn't really came to fruition yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

After the Suarez-Evra debacle, should we be really be signing a guy with Aryan in his name? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    After the Suarez-Evra debacle, should we be really be signing a guy with Aryan in his name? ;)

Aryan Von Racist ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

mike65 wrote: »
    I think we'll finally see him and Toure and hopefully a couple more on July 1st, in a massive picture with Ian Ayre and Zafar Iqbal!

He any good? Both-footed I hear. :p
    Joking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Football player, "Miner" Henrik Mkhitaryan medical examination will be held in the "Liverpool"

MOSCOW, June 17
    Armenian Ukrainian footballer, "Miner" / Donetsk / Henrik Mkhitaryan in the next two days will pass medical examination in English "Liverpool". The correspondent of ITAR-TASS has learned from sources in the Donetsk team.

Mkhitaryan will fly to England. Liverpool officially announce the signing of a contract with the player closer to the end of the week. The amount of compensation for the top scorer in the championship of Ukraine will be about 30 million euros.

In the previous season in the "Miner" Mkhitaryan Ukrainian champion and winner of the National Cup. During this time the midfielder has played 41 matches, scoring 29 goals.

http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/774548.html

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

As sources go that's fairly solid ^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Doesnt look like the Daily Mail of Russia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

He scored an upsetting goal against the republic of Ireland in which he ended Irelands 8 game clean sheet record. Although Armenia did not advance past the qualifying stage for UEFA Euro 2012,

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

€30m is around £25m I think. What was the rumoured fee all along, 22?

I'll be delighted if we have a good chunk of business completed by July 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he would be a really great signing
    if we could keep Suarez too we would have a real chance at the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

bit bemused why carroll needs a medical now after playing for them all season,surely they will know if he's a crock by now..

ive a feeling that all our transfer dealings will be done before suarez is let leave, and that the money spent will be recouped by his and ac's sales.

unless there is a surprise instore for us and we sign someone not yet linked with, cant see a huge outlay being made, mingolet fee will be cancelled out with pepe's departure i think, would be great to keep pepe for one more season and have great cover in mingolet but cant see that happening..

as for suarez, there are ways to do things if you wish to leave in good standing with the supporters you claim to love, and it aint the way your doing things.. i thought myself it would be a once bitten twice shy scenario after torres left , but i fell for luis... ya bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Signing Micky and keeping Suarez would mean our starting attack would only be marginally inferior to United, Chelsea and City.

Probably better than Spurs and Arsenals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

barone wrote: »
    bit bemused why carroll needs a medical now after playing for them all season,surely they will know if he's a crock by now..

A requirement for insurance purposes I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

barone wrote: »

as for suarez, there are ways to do things if you wish to leave in good standing with the supporters you claim to love, and it aint the way your doing things.. i thought myself it would be a once bitten twice shy scenario after torres left , but i fell for luis... ya bollix.

We will just have to get used to the idea that these days any top quality player a team like Liverpool have will be tempted to leave. Torres, Suarez and the like have no real connection to the club. Unlike Gerrard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Is the Mkhitaryan signing because of Suarez or Carroll?

Or both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

We will just have to get used to the idea that these days any top quality player a team like Liverpool have will be tempted to leave. Torres, Suarez and the like have no real connection to the club. Unlike Gerrard

wont ever get used to seeing lfc as a stepping stone for any player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

djPSB wrote: »
    Signing Micky and keeping Suarez would mean our starting attack would only be marginally inferior to United, Chelsea and City.

Probably better than Spurs and Arsenals.

I'm still holding out some hope he'll stay.

Keeping him please would be the best move of the summer for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

daithijjj wrote: »
    Erriksen seems to have signed for Dortmund for 15m.

15m euro? Less than AC to West Ham.......British players eh!? When will people learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Knex. wrote: »
    €30m is around £25m I think. What was the rumoured fee all along, 22?

I'll be delighted if we have a good chunk of business completed by July 1st.

Seriously, is nobody else worried about blowing that amount of cash on a lad from the Ukrainian league?

I pray this works out.

So Mkhitaryan is valued at double what Errikson is?

That's mad Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭klose

I am pie wrote: »
    Seriously, is nobody else worried about blowing that amount of cash on a lad from the Ukrainian league?

I pray this works out.

Made the last 16 of the cl and put it up to dortmund in that game.

City paid 35 mill for a dm from them, i wouldnt be too worried the reports on him are all very good from what ive seen.

Luap wrote: »

Or both.

I'm guessing a replacement for Suarez in sorts.
    Can't see over £20m spent on the Armenian, then the Suarez money spent on a replacement striker.
    The Carroll money would cover Alberto & Aspas

Was always going to cost a lot when doing business with Shakatar.

klose wrote: »

City paid 35 mill for a dm from them, i wouldnt be too worried the reports on him are all very good from what ive seen.

British tax is sooooo last year,
    Shakter tax is the new thing dontcha know

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am pie wrote: »

I pray this works out.

I am, but like any singing its a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So Mkhitaryan is valued at double what Errikson is?

That's mad Ted

Eriksen only had a year left on his contract. That's reduced his price considerably I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am, but like any singing its a risk.

Well anyone who's heard yours will testify to that!

5starpool wrote: »
    Eriksen only had a year left on his contract. That's reduced his price considerably I'd say.

Is that all? Didn't realise that.

I wonder were we in for him? In fairness, Dortmund are much more appealing than us atm.

Wages might be something we could match or better them on though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In terms of the UEFA co-efficients the Dutch league is rated two places below the Ukrainian league.

It was before my time but was there people concerned about "blowing that amount of cash" on Suarez?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is that all? Didn't realise that.

I wonder were we in for him? In fairness, Dortmund are much more appealing than us atm.

Wages might be something we could match or better them on though.

I'd guess we were, but it would have a stretch to think he would have come to us as he wouldn't have been short of offers from CL clubs I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

marno21 wrote: »
    In terms of the UEFA co-efficients the Dutch league is rated two places below the Ukrainian league.

It was before my time but was there people concerned about "blowing that amount of cash" on Suarez?

Feel old now.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Feel old now.

I presume he meant before his time on boards. Least I hope so! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Knex. wrote: »
    I presume he meant before his time on boards. Least I hope so! :D

Yes I did, sorry :D

Anyone who knows the lad from watching him seems to be genuinely excited about him (look at John Bradley on Twitter). Just cos he plays in a weaker league doesn't make him automatically poor. So far this window has been genuinely exciting and it looks like quality and value for money being signed so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

gafferino wrote: »
    No you wont.....this has been shown with stats...i.e. i think we have a higher win % without him. Thats been seen before when Gerrard was out too.

Thing is its a small window which those stats are based on. As in right lads Luis is banned again for killing a unicorn with unicorn repellent so you lads need to step it up for the next 10 games.....and they do. Probably wouldnt be the same over a whole season.

Fact is he is world class. I would have him 1st name on the team sheet every week. World class is world class.
    First the Evra debacle...

Then the Ivanovic bite debacle...

And now the fekker is killing unicorns....

Now i REALLY dont want this guy at the club:(

• Advertisement

Luap wrote: »

Or both.

Carroll maybe, it was made clear that the summer attacking options were not dependent on the sale of anyone player (though clearly the money has to come from sales as well as fresh capital). When Suarez is sold LFC be all out to land the best striker that will be willing to play for LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mike65 wrote: »
    Carroll maybe, it was made clear that the summer attacking options were not dependent on the sale of anyone player (though clearly the money has to come from sales as well as fresh capital). When Suarez is sold LFC be all out to land the best striker that will be willing to play for LFC.

Or we could be just flushed due to our new middle eastern investor :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The cynic in me says we only made a move to sign Mhytarayan because we know we will be well capitalised with the Suarez sale. Same with Suarez coming in for Torres.

Its all well and good saying the intention is to partner them, when you know full well that its not going to be the case.

The cynic in me says we only made a move to sign Mhytarayan because we know we will be well capitalised with the Suarez sale. Same with Suarez coming in for Torres.

Its all well and good saying the intention is to partner them, when you know full well that its not going to be the case.

The Suarez saga could go on until August.

I'd say it's the Carroll move that will make or break the Micky deal

Carroll is off to West Ham, and only his medical can stop him! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Suarez was coming in anyway wasn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes I did, sorry :D

Anyone who knows the lad from watching him seems to be genuinely excited about him (look at John Bradley on Twitter). Just cos he plays in a weaker league doesn't make him automatically poor. So far this window has been genuinely exciting and it looks like quality and value for money being signed so far

Um, we've signed a little known Spaniard and a free transfer from City. The talk may well be exciting but that's all it remains for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Mickalus wrote: »
    Suarez was coming in anyway wasn't he?

I think it was always with an eye on using the Torres cash

Barret now reporting in The Times that we're willing to pay Mkhitaryan £22m release clause to bring him to Liverpool.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

klose wrote: »

I wouldn't use city as the barometer of sensible transfer fees...I accept he had a good season last year.

Still worried. Hope to be proved wrong.

It's such a pity this Suarez thing is ongoing. It's great to see how active we seem to be in the market but any emotion is currently being heavily tempered by the whole Suarez saga to the point that hearing about a potentially massive signing like this actually looking like it will happen isn't really causing any major excitement level for me at the moment.

If the whole Suarez thing wasn't in the background I can only imagine how stoked I'd currently be around the kind of business we seem to be doing.

Opr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement