Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get really heavy treadmill downstairs?

• 03-09-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

2 men managed to get it up. Asked a man that was visiting a neighbour at the time but getting it down is a huge problem. The treadmill is about 100kg and awkward. Already busted my landlords door of the bedroom (which I will replace) but wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to get it down safely? There's nobody I really know other than 1 man to ask but I'd need a 2nd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I would imagine that the safest way would be to disassemble the treadmill (this is of course if you got only one guy with you )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The trick is to reduce it's friction on the ground.

Slide a carpet remanent or rug under it.
    or, if it has a fragile base
    Slide it on to a plank (12mm+ thick should be fine) and secure it to the plank (ratchet straps).

Tie a rope around it and use the rope to move the treadmill.

If the carpet comes out from under it use another piece in front for it to slide on to.

Don't stand between it and the bottom of the stairs without properly securing it!

or, as previous just get two strong people, or four weak people. 50Kg isn't much to lift. 25Kg anyone could do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Buy weights. Lift weights until strong enough to lift treadmill. At that strength level, you are now a super beast and can EAT the treadmill and crap it out downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hahaha too funny :-) Thansk for the helpful (and comical) replies. I particularly like the last one :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

How about a few health and fitness itboardsies come around and give you a hand?

111555.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

If they look like that, hell yeah ;) I got my bf & brother to help. 25kg doesn't sound like much to lift but I'm possibly the weakest person in the world and would have been more use from the grave than helping!!! So I stood outta the way & admired their strength instead :P Managed to sell it too so happy days!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Eh, discus... I need to move my treadmill*.... can I get those guys too?

*May be a euphemism for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

fleet wrote: »
    The trick is to reduce it's friction on the ground.

Reducing the friction on 100kg of treadmill you are attempting to slide down a 45 degree angle doesn't sound wise.

I moved a treadmill once. The weight is not evenly distributed, About 80% of it is in the front end where the electric motor is. I got that side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Oryx wrote: »
    Eh, discus... I need to move my treadmill*.... can I get those guys too?

*May be a euphemism for something else.

Funny, I'd always imagined that you had a harem of buff, well oiled young men at your disposal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Brian? wrote: »
    Funny, I'd always imagined that you had a harem of buff, well oiled young men at your disposal.

You have a strange mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Glad you got it down. 2 able bodied men should be sufficient. If you're stuck again, just lift it bit by bit. I wouldn't be using any carpet or anything, it will only get in the way and you don't want to be tripping over it when carrying an awkward load. If anything, wrap the treadmill in a few furniture blankets or whatever you might have to protect it and the floors etc. If you're going to go for it and can't carry the weight for the duration required, put a heavy strap around it, have the lighter side go out over the steps first while being supported by the 2nd person and then lift the heavy side step by step with the straps (saves the back bending down). Keep it supported on the step so the weight is taken and keep it horizontal enough so it won't slip down.

With items such as a piano were the weight is evenly heavy, have the stronger or 2 people ideally go down first and one above to guide.

Meanwhile, here's some impressive heavy load vs stair videos :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Oryx wrote: »
    You have a strange mind.

Maybe. You're not denying it though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement