Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Early morning training and spinal fluid

• 10-09-2013 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

What do people think about doing their training early in the morning vs later in the day.

Apparently spinal fluid builds up in your sleep and it takes at least an hour of being up and awake for it to sort itself out. .exercising hard at this time can be dangerous apparently.

Prefer to train in the morning myself if possible cause its quieter but now im thinking I should be up for an hour before I hit the gym.

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/04/do-you-need-to-stop-lifting-in-morning.html?m=1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Blue Whale wrote: »
    What do people think about doing their training early in the morning vs later in the day.

Apparently spinal fluid builds up in your sleep and it takes at least an hour of being up and awake for it to sort itself out. .exercising hard at this time can be dangerous apparently.

Prefer to train in the morning myself if possible cause its quieter but now im thinking I should be up for an hour before I hit the gym.

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2013/04/do-you-need-to-stop-lifting-in-morning.html?m=1

Don't over think this. Train in the morning if you want to and enjoy it. Warm up properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Where do people hear/read this stuff?

edit: I'm so retarded, didn't spot the link in OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

I've seen it said you should wait an hour after waking up before you start to exercise... but I assume as long as you warm up thoroughly you'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I have only ever heard this in relation to heavy loading of the back (heavy being relative to the individual), i.e. heavy Squats/DL's. Never to exercise in general.

I must admit I usually feel stiffer (flexibility wise) when I first wake, and would not feel confident squatting or deadlifting straight after getting up. So the advice sounded prudent to me. But I have gotten up and went straight out for a run or done KB/body weight routine within a short time of getting up and have had no issues personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

do people seriously get out of bed and into the squat rack?
    dont they shower, poop or brush their teeth? Then there is travel time to the gym if you need to.

Id say if you are climbing out of bed and immediately under the bar then that would be a worry. But on more levels than just spinal readiness.

But then again, the military all over the world love waking you up dumping 80lb rucksack and weapons on you and making you run until you puke and they've been doing it for years. So it cant be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There have been mornings where the interval between waking and going into the gym is 20mins. Some days involve squats. You don't feel as fresh but i've hit PRs once or twice on squats doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I am not even going to get into this because it will just cause upset but I will instead just give you something to think about.

Anyone want to take a guess what puts more pressure on your spine....lying down versus standing? Standing vs sitting? What about lying down for 8 hours versus sitting on your ass at work for 8 hours?

Now stay with me for just a moment longer....what about taking a guess as to what might be worse or put your spine at more risk...laying down for 8 hours and then going squatting OR sitting on your ass for 8 hours then going squatting?

I think you all know where I might be going with this and I hope everyone appreciated my restraint in trying to make my point without using any of the following words...retarded, idiotic, dumb, moronic or stupid.

*We can file this with the rest of the folders containing articles with trainers writing stupid crap about stuff that they don't understand or exploiting gullible or unknowing readers who don't have the background to interpret their ramblings.

Edit: Actually the article isn't bad just some of the possible interpretations could be misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

I am not even going to get into this because it will just cause upset but I will instead just give you something to think about.

Anyone want to take a guess what puts more pressure on your spine....lying down versus standing? Standing vs sitting? What about lying down for 8 hours versus sitting on your ass at work for 8 hours?

Now stay with me for just a moment longer....what about taking a guess as to what might be worse or put your spine at more risk...laying down for 8 hours and then going squatting OR sitting on your ass for 8 hours then going squatting?

I think you all know where I might be going with this and I hope everyone appreciated my restraint in trying to make my point without using any of the following words...retarded, idiotic, dumb, moronic or stupid.

*We can file this with the rest of the folders containing articles with trainers writing stupid crap about stuff that they don't understand or exploiting gullible or unknowing readers who don't have the background to interpret their ramblings.

Edit: Actually the article isn't bad just some of the possible interpretations could be misleading.

I find it hard to understand what your saying to be honest, probably because I haven`t had enough sleep, I don`t feel I have the ability to compare spine pressure between sitting, standing, lying down.

You seem to be saying that lying down in bed, sitting in your car/bus/train, sitting at a desk job all day, and THEN going training.. is worse than lying down in bed , going training, and THEN going to desk job all day.

Can you confirm? Thanks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I personally won't squat or deadlift unless I've been up and about for 4 hours. I have no idea if it's related to spinal fluid or the fact I'm not a morning person but I've only violated this rule twice for deadlifting and both times I've hurt myself.

That's not to say others can't do it. This is just something I've noticed from my past experience so it's a rule I've created for myself.

I'm usually pretty throwaway when it comes to saftey, training in an isolated shed a good 30 yards from the nearest house, on my own, with no chance of anyone hearing my muffled screams should something go wrong. So the fact that I won't break this rule should demonstrate it's something I feel pretty strongly about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

After reading about this, it used to be a very minor concern of mind in the morning but I now just get on with whatever I need to do in the morning. By the time you get to gym and do pre-workout routine enough time will have probably passed anyway.

While I'll deadlift in the morning, I usually leave squatting to weekend as it just takes me longer to loosen up and do mobility work and I don't have time in the morning. However, I'll happily squat in the morning if I can't get a weekend session in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement