Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

report a cheat???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I saw a guy clearly ground his club in a hazard recently. He touched the grass twice while addressing the ball. This after he stated he knew he couldn't ground his club! He got a point from the hole. I decided not to take it up with him there and then, partly as he's a volatile character. I waited until the next hole and then he denied it totally.
    At the end he had a reasonable score but I knew not a winning one so I duly signed his card. I wasn't in the mood for the hassle.
    Should I have stood my ground and declined to sign?
    So, what exactly did he do wrong here and why would you decline to sign his card?! It usually pays to know the rules before accusing someone of cheating...

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭bobster453

I always ask what did the player have after each hole and have never had any problem querying any differences between what I know and they think :)

I also always write my score somewhere on card and check this against my own card before signing, usually because I try to blank out all the duff chips, bad drives etc from my mind.

Personally I wouldnt tell anyone their score unless they ask, if they are playing well it can start getting inside your head and lead to playing defensive and trying to hold what you have, usually with disastrous results on the back nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I saw a guy clearly ground his club in a hazard recently. He touched the grass twice while addressing the ball. This after he stated he knew he couldn't ground his club! He got a point from the hole. I decided not to take it up with him there and then, partly as he's a volatile character. I waited until the next hole and then he denied it totally.
    At the end he had a reasonable score but I knew not a winning one so I duly signed his card. I wasn't in the mood for the hassle.
    Should I have stood my ground and declined to sign?

Touching the grass billy isn't an issue here as long as his club didn't touch the ground before he played his shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

ok, so I maybe stand corrected here.
    I thought you could not touch any grass in a hazard except when making your swing.
    In this case, it was pretty short grass, and inch or 2 tall.

However, my question is still valid - if I had thought and was fairly sure he had infringed any rule, should I decline to sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I understand the rules - and I have read interpretations - as in you can touch the grass in a hazard. Touching as in no problem if you brush a few blades. You cannot rest any weight of the club in the grass however.
    As the grass in the hazard is often quite thick it is very dangerous to make any kind of downward move into the thicker end of things in those conditions. Immediately you'd be in the testing the ground territory, resting the club fully or partly in the grass. But I have seen people making practice strokes a full foot or more above the ball in a sparsely grown area - e.g. links course style grass - fearing to brush a single thin blade that may stand up. The latter is over the top and not required.
    The keywords are touching and resting and also ground. The definition of ground is basically where it would support some weight of the club. You will know yourself were resting potentially begins, you need to judge the situation yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ok, so I maybe stand corrected here.
    I thought you could not touch any grass in a hazard except when making your swing.
    In this case, it was pretty short grass, and inch or 2 tall.

However, my question is still valid - if I had thought and was fairly sure he had infringed any rule, should I decline to sign?

If you are dealing with a matter of FACT - a clear or flagrant breach (as in the "I don't give a sh##" example quoted earlier), then yes.

Its a lot trickier when its a disputed issue. Best to seek mediation if possible but if that isn't possible, it comes down to a judgement call.

But anything is better than just shrugging your shoulders.

Advertisement