Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A college degree doesnt define intelligence but plain hard work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No. Not because of it's meaning, but because it's poorly structured.

"Its" is possessive, "it's" is a contraction of "it is", you uneducated dunderhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Why is the op trading intelligence against hard work.. Obviously its a mix of both and obviously the ratios will vary from person to person and obviously there are other factors involved. Why the need to oversimplify, leave that to right wingers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Hardly, I maintain a 2.1 with sh*t all effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I know 1 goofy eejit who scraped a masters. Never mind the intelligence debate or even the work debate. This guy just flailed his way incompetently through everything. I was project leader on a project and he was given as one of my team along with 2 guys that had already dropped out and one other who was one of the mentally oddest people I've ever met. Not the best course and I didn't stay much longer after that.

A college degree defines a person as having worked for and obtained a degree from a college. That's my 2 cents and I don't think I'm being particularly obtuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A college degree is a handy thing to have, it gets your foot in the door. But then you do your real on the job training. The smartest guy I ever met in my life left school when he was 12 but a genius at his chosen (or stumbled into) field.

I have met some very stupid guys with a degree or worse a senior position, some people think get a degree or a rank and you are automatically smart. I now think intelligence and creativity is more natural, no matter your education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

44leto wrote: »
    A college degree is a handy thing to have, it gets your foot in the door. But then you do your real on the job training. The smartest guy I ever met in my life left school when he was 12 but a genius at his chosen (or stumbled into) field.

I have met some very stupid guys with a degree or worse a senior position, some people think get a degree or a rank and you are automatically smart. I now think intelligence and creativity is more natural, no matter your education.

Out of interest what is it that the genius ended up doing?

You can get 600 points in your leaving cert and get any college degree you want, but that doesn't make you intelligent. The intelligent ones will know how to apply themselves in the real world and find success, whatever that is relative to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

A degree takes a certain amount of work to get, people who have a natural ability and an interest in their field of study will have to put in less effort than those that don't. As 44lleto said it will get your foot in the door after college too but once there it won't compensate for stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

My degree was put in a safety tube at graduation. It took me five minutes to figure out how to open it.

Degrees clearly define intelligence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

degrees in reality are worthless,if you had to work in the workplace day to day for four years learning then they might be actually worth something other than a piece of paper that would get you a job.

did i just describe an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Intelligence has nothing to do with degrees or hard work.

No
    MIT advanced Physics graduate versus Knuckles the Coal delivery man

Yes
    Tourism degree versus Einstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pmcmahon wrote: »
    degrees in reality are worthless,if you had to work in the workplace day to day for four years learning then they might be actually worth something other than a piece of paper that would get you a job.

did i just describe an apprenticeship?

If you did then you did so with a level of grammar I would expect from someone who thinks a degree is worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Working a full time job, studying a language and averaging a 1st class honors in my degree with pretty much 2 weeks study before the exams....

Experience > Academics.

Some of my lecturers are pretty clueless were they teaching their subject in a real corporate environment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I knew a girl who is currently studying pharmacy. She wouldn't exactly be on the ball. Might be good at learning and writing reports, but has no common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Zillah wrote: »
    If you did then you did so with a level of grammar I would expect from someone who thinks a degree is worthless.
    grammar?,oh lord no :eek: you certainly can throw a punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

pmcmahon wrote: »

Unless you're a doctor. Or a lawyer. Actually, just doctors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It depends on the course. Some require lots of fact-learning and regurgitation, others require a lot of critical thinking, while some others require lots of logical ability. I do think that hard work will get you a long way with a lot of courses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Generally speaking, yes, it requires a lot of hard work. Whether or not the individual has a high intelligence is an entirely different question that can be tested in entirely different ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You fools!

The OP is just using our answers to form part of their thesis, thus gaining a degree themselves using neither hard work or intelligence thus disproving both parts of the original statement and negating the whole thread.

Stop answering or this whole site might disappear into a vortex of contradiction!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Sky King wrote: »
    I know a lot of stupid people with degrees.
    Me too but I dont know any stupid people with degrees in physics, math, electronic engineering, biochemistry, medicine, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You fools!

The OP is just using our answers to form part of their thesis, thus gaining a degree themselves using neither hard work or intelligence thus disproving both parts of the original statement and negating the whole thread.

Stop answering or this whole site might disappear into a vortex of contradiction!

Intelligent people don't gather opinions from AH:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You fools!

I have an engineering degree and don't know what those big words mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Eathrin wrote: »
    Out of interest what is it that the genius ended up doing?

You can get 600 points in your leaving cert and get any college degree you want, but that doesn't make you intelligent. The intelligent ones will know how to apply themselves in the real world and find success, whatever that is relative to them.

A builder, but a total master at it all, I mean every trade from the foundation up and a true work ethic to match. His cabinet and furniture making skills are amazing, a true craftsman. Most is self thought from experience as he had little choice as he is totally dyslexic. But he sees a problem and comes up with a solution. He can barely read and write but play him in chess or cards or give him a problem and then you see his natural intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have an engineering degree and don't know what those big words mean

I got a grown up to help with them.

And with the scissors.

Always get a grown up to help you with the scissors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

There's probably a positive correlation between the result someone gets in a degree and intelligence, but individual experiences will vary wildly. I know plenty of utter cappers who'll be obtaining a degree/have obtained a degree.

Advertisement