Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bay leaf, what the hell is it and where can I get it?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a recipe for chicken vegetable soup that requires 1 bay leaf.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could find bay leaf (e.g. Tesco, Supervalue etc...)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Hi,

I have a recipe for chicken vegetable soup that require 1 bay leaf.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could find bay leaf (e.g. Tesco, Supervalue etc...)?

Thanks
    tesco and supervalu should have bay leaves. Just remember to remove the bay leaf before you eat the soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can get them in Tesco etc. They are with the spices and its usually comes in a box.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254919694

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Thanks very much for the help guys.

Here is the recipe in case you want to try it: (If you do try it, let me know what you think)

Dice 4 chicken breasts and 1 onion and crush 2 cloves of garlic. Put this in a saucepan with 4 cups of water, 1 bay leaf and 1 teaspoon of black pepper and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove the bay leaf and add in 3 diced carrots, 6 diced fresh tomatoes and 2 small sliced courgettes. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Actually, does anyone know another name for Flax meal? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Linseed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I haven't used that recipe, but as a rule of thumb, I wouldn't just use chicken breasts. For soups/stews, I think legs/wings are nicer.

My own recipe involves putting a whole chicken into a big pot and cooking (with onion, garlic, carrots and celery), but the work involved to debone the chicken in the middle is a little annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'll live without it OP, my mum swears by them but I've never noticed a difference with or without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got a load of bay leaves in an asian supermarket for a fraction of what regular supermarkets would sell it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's not necessarily included for having a distinctive flavour but for bringing the best out of other flavours.

It's a little like a catalyst in a chemical reaction. It helps the reaction without bringing anything of itself to the party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement