Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my bulk diet

Options
  • 06-06-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Male - 28 - 74kg - 5'9

Just finished cutting for about 3-4 months at 1800ish. Going to do a long bulk at 2300. Is there anything I can do to improve the following;

Breakfast
    4 weetabix (porridge would be better but this is my treat for the day)
    whole milk
    honey (3tbs approx.)

Mid morning
    3 microwaved medium eggs

Lunch
    270-300g chicken pieces (cooked weight)

Dinner
    Meat/Breaded Fish/Mince
    Pile of frozen Asian style veg
    half a can of chickpeas/mixed beans/baked beans

snacks
    2 bananas
    2 whey shakes
    2 slices of McCambridges bread with cottage cheese

Am I generally on the right track? The calories might seem low to some but it generally works for me. I haven't bulked much but I definitely cut at 1800. There will be next to no cardio.

One thing to point out is I have braces at the moment so cant eat hard stuff like nuts! Great time to bulk, I know!

Any tips/pointers? Please leave my Weetabix alone :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

2300 calories isn't a bulk. If you're working out then that's maintenance. I'd put 500 calories at least on top of this.

For breakfast I'd take bacon and eggs with some milk or something. Ideally you want a protein source in there but if you love your weatabix sure leave them in there.

Anything else with the chicken? Veg or some starchy carbs?

Dinner looks good.

Snacks don't look too bad. Personally I'd ditch the bread for some more fruit.

You don't seem to take in a whole lot of veg there. But you have some room to play with since you do HAVE to add a good few hundred calories to get any kind of result.

Have you calculated the macro breakdown of what all this totals at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thanks for that. I suppose my goal was to slow bulk with minimal fat gain. You still think an extra 500? So around 2800 cals?

Goal macros are as follows:

P - 230g
    F - 51g
    C - 230g

and the diet above hits it pretty close.

I may try get a protein source into my breakfast if I have 500 extra cals to play with, that said, I have my 3 eggs around 11 so its still quite early.

Nothing extra with the chicken, 300g of chicken is actually quite a lot. Im sure I could fit something else in. Any ideas? Brown rice?

Im open to ditching the bread but fruit is a problem with the braces, it would have to be more bananas :( the bread does help with the calories though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I suppose my goal was to slow bulk with minimal fat gain. You still think an extra 500? So around 2800 cals?

Goal macros are as follows:

P - 230g
    F - 51g
    C - 230g

and the diet above hits it pretty close.

I may try get a protein source into my breakfast if I have 500 extra cals to play with, that said, I have my 3 eggs around 11 so its still quite early.

Nothing extra with the chicken, 300g of chicken is actually quite a lot. Im sure I could fit something else in. Any ideas? Brown rice?

Im open to ditching the bread but fruit is a problem with the braces, it would have to be more bananas :( the bread does help with the calories though.

300g of chicken is way too much to have in one sitting. You only need have of that. One chicken fillet is enough. Your body can only process about 25-35g of protein in one sitting.

Yeah brown rice would be ideal for lunch. I eat sweet potato along with some mixed frozen vegetables.

So on a Sunday I cook 10 chicken fillets on a george foreman (5 at a time). Then boil some sweet potatoes. I then put a chicken fillet and some sweet potatoes in a lunch box along with a handful of mixed frozen vegetables. That's 10 lunches on the go that can be stores in fridge / freezer. The frozen veg is good to go once heated in the microwave with the rest of chicken / sweet potato. When heated, I also use a variety of spices for taste and add olive oil for healthy fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Your body can only process about 25-35g of protein in one sitting.

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

Looks great brah, reverse diet to minimize fat gain when transitioning back to bulking.

300g is not too much chicken in one sitting

• Advertisement

300g of chicken is way too much to have in one sitting. You only need have of that. One chicken fillet is enough. Your body can only process about 25-35g of protein in one sitting.

So on a Sunday I cook 10 chicken fillets on a george foreman (5 at a time). Then boil some sweet potatoes. I then put a chicken fillet and some sweet potatoes in a lunch box along with a handful of mixed frozen vegetables. That's 10 lunches on the go that can be stores in fridge / freezer. The frozen veg is good to go once heated in the microwave with the rest of chicken / sweet potato. When heated, I also use a variety of spices for taste and add olive oil for healthy fats.

Have you a source that says you can only process 25-35 grams in one sitting?? that's certainly news to me. Plus dropping the chicken amount means dropping the calories and that's the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve!

Good idea about microwaving the frozen veg, I had never thought of that. ?does the chicken and sweet potatoe, once cooked on sunday, last fine until Friday? In the fridge?

Looks great brah, reverse diet to minimize fat gain when transitioning back to bulking.

300g is not too much chicken in one sitting

how many weeks is recommended to eat at maintenance after a cut before moving up? The more I think about it, the more I realise I am eating at maintenance instead of bulking. Ill runt he numbers through a TDEE calculator again to be sure.

This isn't true. It's a myth that was dispelled a long time ago. 300g is fine I regularly have that much in one go and I'm on a cut.
    Yeah brown rice would be ideal for lunch. I eat sweet potato along with some mixed frozen vegetables.

This is all decent advice. Though I like to bake the chicken in the oven with the spices on it pre cooking. I find the George Foreman dries it out.

If you're going the get anywhere with a bulk you're going to gain some fat. It's not a big deal and makes the process much easier. Otherwise you're just going to be spinning your wheels getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You don't need that much protein

JJayoo wrote: »
    You don't need that much protein

True he's about 60g over what he needs but it's not a big deal going over if your on a bulk. It won't make you grow anymore than if you took in 170g but what's the harm in it?

• Advertisement

He will explode...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Squat Rack Curler

how many weeks is recommended to eat at maintenance after a cut before moving up? The more I think about it, the more I realise I am eating at maintenance instead of bulking. Ill runt he numbers through a TDEE calculator again to be sure.

I would just add 100 calories a week until you are gaining 0.5-1 pound a week. (depending on how fast you want to bulk) TDEE calculators are inaccurate

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Windy Arbour

Male - 28 - 74kg - 5'9

Just finished cutting for about 3-4 months at 1800ish. Going to do a long bulk at 2300. Is there anything I can do to improve the following;

Breakfast
    4 weetabix (porridge would be better but this is my treat for the day)
    whole milk
    honey (3tbs approx.)

Mid morning
    3 microwaved medium eggs

Lunch
    270-300g chicken pieces (cooked weight)

Dinner
    Meat/Breaded Fish/Mince
    Pile of frozen Asian style veg
    half a can of chickpeas/mixed beans/baked beans

snacks
    2 bananas
    2 whey shakes
    2 slices of McCambridges bread with cottage cheese

Am I generally on the right track? The calories might seem low to some but it generally works for me. I haven't bulked much but I definitely cut at 1800. There will be next to no cardio.

One thing to point out is I have braces at the moment so cant eat hard stuff like nuts! Great time to bulk, I know!

Any tips/pointers? Please leave my Weetabix alone :P

Have you considered a GOMAD or mini-GOMAD element to your diet?

Wouldn't suggest this. Great for strength. Bad for minimal fat gain.

Source: I've done it. Got moderately fat till I reigned it all in.

He will explode...

I really don't have time to explode at the moment what with work and living and stuff.

Haven't ever head of it but sure i'll give it a google anyway.

Thanks for the advice, it's given me the steer I needed. God, im gonna be huge.

EDIT: just read up on GOMAD there, very interesting (is the majority of that weight gain lean muscle gain???) but I'm happy enough to do the slow bulk thing until next spring.

To be honest that bulk diet looks like a lot of work. Bulking is about enjoying your training and eating not about eating plain chicken all the time.

Table spoon of Peanut butter
    Banana
    scoop plain icecream
    Scoop whey
    Top up with milk

Plenty of calories, some good fat, lots of protein, portion of fruit. The thing with bulking is that if you want to do it for 6 months chicken is gonna get really boring, but then again what works for me may not work for you and your system may be perfect for you.

Forgot to say eat cake, use cake as a pre workout.

To be honest that bulk diet looks like a lot of work. Bulking is about enjoying your training and eating not about eating plain chicken all the time.

Table spoon of Peanut butter
    Banana
    scoop plain icecream
    Scoop whey
    Top up with milk

Plenty of calories, some good fat, lots of protein, portion of fruit. The thing with bulking is that if you want to do it for 6 months chicken is gonna get really boring, but then again what works for me may not work for you and your system may be perfect for you.

Thanks, the shake sounds good, I will try that! I have the worlds biggest spice collection and enjoy using them all so to be fair, my chicken does taste different every day. Spicey some days, lemony the next, herby the next. Its actually a meal I havent gotten bored with in 3/4 months now. But I do have the odd sambo instead.

Ice cream, yum, my magic word!
    Forgot to say eat cake, use cake as a pre workout.

As in make a protein cake or what kind of cake? Surely not just any cake when trying to minimize fat gain? I thankfully dont have a sweet tooth so I want to utilise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As in make a protein cake or what kind of cake? Surely not just any cake when trying to minimize fat gain? I thankfully dont have a sweet tooth so I want to utilise that.

Black Forest Gateaux. Protein in the cream and there are cherries for a fruit bonus.

Or pavlova. All the egg whites in the meringue, fruit and cream.

Champion gainz.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oreo cake

• Advertisement

Pre workout is the perfect time to consume vast amounts of cake goodness, plus it will motivate you to work harder. This guy has a lot of tasty looking protein deserts. Bit more effort than the normal protein deserts you see online.

Pre workout is the perfect time to consume vast amounts of cake goodness, plus it will motivate you to work harder. This guy has a lot of tasty looking protein deserts. Bit more effort than the normal protein deserts you see online.

How do I not know about this guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Meat on the bone too. None of that pansy ass lean rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Calories are paramount. If they're not high / above maintenance then it's not a bulking diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads, what do folks make of a smoothy made with a can of coconut milk, some fruit ( frozen berries or a banana or two ) and maybe a bit of spinach for getting some calories in ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    lads, what do folks make of a smoothy made with a can of coconut milk, some fruit ( frozen berries or a banana or two ) and maybe a bit of spinach for getting some calories in ?

Dono. How many calories is in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

If you're going for calories a can of full fat coconut would definitely do it for you! Its ****ing lovely stuff too. If you had some flavoured protein powder I'd lob it in as well. Spinach isn't going to do much in the way of calories and the flavour wouldn't exactly compliment the other flavours. If you only want to add spinach for the micronutrient content throw it in the blender frozen (Supervalu sells 600g bags of frozen spinach for €1, the bag is made up of c.50g blocks of spinach, very handy to have) as the taste won't come through. You will need a strong blender though. Sounds like a nice smoothy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Dono. How many calories is in it?

Not a clue, but I am guessing a lot ?
    If you're going for calories a can of full fat coconut would definitely do it for you! Its ****ing lovely stuff too. If you had some flavoured protein powder I'd lob it in as well. Spinach isn't going to do much in the way of calories and the flavour wouldn't exactly compliment the other flavours. If you only want to add spinach for the micronutrient content throw it in the blender frozen (Supervalu sells 600g bags of frozen spinach for €1, the bag is made up of c.50g blocks of spinach, very handy to have) as the taste won't come through. You will need a strong blender though. Sounds like a nice smoothy!

Yea. The spinach is strictly for getting extra greens in. I've used broccoli too but it defo makes it a bit of a chugger to get down.
    Thanks for the tip on the frozen stuff ( I dont like Spinach cooked so would only normally buy fresh )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not a clue, but I am guessing a lot ?

If you're going to try and get in extra calories, at least give yourself an idea what you normally get in and what you want to get in.

MyFitnessPal is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Get a nice peanut butter. I could seriously live off the stuff. Nutella too, while you're at it. You might aswell enjoy yourself! Eat ice cream, smother it in peanut butter. That's bulk food for you.

Advertisement