Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

omelette help

• 24-06-2014 3:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Was trying to cook an omelette for lunch,I used 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites, I added half a chopped pepper and some spinach,anyway I threw the spinach and peppers in first and let them cook for a bit and then added the egg mixture, I had it at a low enough heat and when I went to turn it,it was stuck to the pan and burned underneath, I used a teaspoon of coconut oil dunno if the contributed or not , any advice on how to prevent this from happening again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Hi

Was trying to cook an omelette for lunch,I used 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites, I added half a chopped pepper and some spinach,anyway I threw the spinach and peppers in first and let them cook for a bit and then added the egg mixture, I had it at a low enough heat and when I went to turn it,it was stuck to the pan and burned underneath, I used a teaspoon of coconut oil dunno if the contributed or not , any advice on how to prevent this from happening again?

This is my favourite way to have an omelette.

Heat non stick pan with olive oil.

3/4 eggs
    2 tablespoon creme fraiche
    Grated cheddar cheese
    Some pepper

Mix all in a bowl

Cook on high for couple minutes either side. If you like spinach throw it on as it's cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hi

Hi there,

Can't offer any real constructive advice as I could write a book on sad omelettes. I did however change my approach and started making frittatas. Not what you asked but for me it just took the element of omelette-burning away that I was unable to control. It also allows the possibility of having it cold or preparing a portion in advance.

Anyways sorry for distracting from your query but something to consider. Someone far better equipped I'm sure will advice on the omelette issue.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Hi

Are you using a good non stick frying pan? I wouldn't use anything other than a non stick and only use wooden/plastic utensils on it. I always use olive oil, does coconut oil have a very low buring tempeture? Also did you make sure the veg you used wasn't stuck to the pan prior to pooring the egg over?

I've never had an issue with cooking omelettes, usually I fry whatevery veg i'm having with it first, in the mean time whisk the eggs until they're fluffy (I usually add a bit of water to the egges, some add milk, cream etc) then poor over the veg on a medium heat, I shake the pan after say 1 minutes to ensure the omlette isn;t sticking.
    Also instead of trying to turn the omlete over and making a mess of it, I usually put the pan under the grill to cook the top side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Coconut oil has a higher burning temp than olive oil so you should be grand.

You cant fry the veg then chuck the egg on top and hope and omelette results! Think of the egg to be like a pizza base.

Your toppings need to go on top of the pizza base! Egg first, then toppings, then fold once the egg is well cooked, you need a good dose of oil too, don't be stingy.

I like crunchy veg in my omelette but if you wanted something a bit more cooked you might do the veg in another pan then chuck them on after a few mins. It's probably more correct to mix the veg into the egg mix and cook together from scratch but it's a headache imo, chuck them on whilst the egg mix is still relatively runny but has a solid base. Fold then cook both sides to avoid having one burnt side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I am pie wrote: »
    You cant fry the veg then chuck the egg on top and hope and omelette results! Think of the egg to be like a pizza base.

Your toppings need to go on top of the pizza base! Egg first, then toppings, then fold once the egg is well cooked, you need a good dose of oil too, don't be stingy.

Most of the time I fry the veg first and then add the egg and I've never experienced an issue with doing it this way.

I've also mixed the veg in with the raw egg before adding it to the pan and again no problems with doing it this way either.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You could also make a "vomlette" :pac: When I'm in a hurry I'll add all the ingredients and keep stirring. It tastes just as good but the presentation isn't great!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well I went out and brought a tefal non stick pan, attempt 2 about to commence :-P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

[IMG][/img]20140624_185214_zpstn27jx7u.jpg

Well it was a success this time :-p it was definitely the pan, so that new pan was well worth the investment of 25 bucks. Its just too bad the combination of peppers and spinach didnt set my taste buds alight -_- I ld normally use ham and just 2 whole eggs but im trying to bulk up a bit and the trainer advised me to use 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites, I guess ill just have to experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

conzy wrote: »
    "vomlette"

Yoink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Try mixing onion salt/granules in with it, I find frying it in butter gives a far better flavour and slightly improved texture on the outside too.

I'd always go with a bit of chicken breast, ham cubes (Aldi), a mix of cheddar and mozerella and a few halved cherry tomatoes.

It tastes great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dude, flavour the eggs with some worchester sauce before you fry it. yum

Also for bulking, try fry a good bit of chorizo off first make your omelette as normal and then have it with a bit of guacamole ( a ripe avocado mashed with some salt pepper and a squeeze of lemon ) - dunno why this combo works but it really does !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

conzy wrote: »
    You could also make a "vomlette" :pac: When I'm in a hurry I'll add all the ingredients and keep stirring. It tastes just as good but the presentation isn't great!

Ha this is what I do, brilliant name for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had it at a low enough heat and when I went to turn it,it was stuck to the pan and burned underneath
    Too low a heat can cause trouble.

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_food_sticks.htm
    "A small amount of oil added to a very hot pan almost instantly becomes very hot oil. The oil quickly sears the outside of the food and causes water to be released from the food. This layer of water vapor ("steam") lifts the food atop the oil film and keeps it from touching the hot pan surface. If the oil is not hot enough, the steam effect will not occur and the food will fuse to the (too) cool pan surface."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Slow cook onions, mushrooms, chorizo and chilli for at least 20 mins in pan with butter or coconut fat.

Beat eggs, I'm a pig and use a minimum of 4, and add a little milk/water.

Remove veg from pan and add more fat before adding egg mix. Then add veg and cook on slow heat.

When almost cooked add cheese on top.

Put under grill to lightly brown.

Add olive oil and salt

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

It might have been the sugar content of the sweet peppers that caused the pan to stick. Same sometimes happens with tomatoes. I fry up mushrooms, toms, peppers and toward end toss in chopped scallion. I can either cook the omelette plain or add the above to top of omelette as it gently cooks. Some chopped ham is nice as well. I would beat eggs with dash of milk and salt/pepper.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Havn't had omlette in a while but another nice one is:

few eggs, half a tub of cottage cheese and a packet of ham. Very handy if your in a hurry and the cottage cheese makes it nice and thick and gives it a cheesy taste. Great way to get rid of cottage cheese if your not a big fan of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Dont use cottage cheese much. Do you add to beaten eggs or put on top of omelette when half cooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

try this for different, but yum...

chop up an apple into fairly thin slices.
    sprinkle them with cinnamon and nutmeg before frying gently in coconut oil
    once they start to caramelize chuck in your beaten eggs and fry yer omelette.

a serious breakfast treat - but you could serve it as desert if you make the omlette thin enough ( crepe style )

Advertisement