Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC "Drop-outs" of late, going insane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do a firmware reset on the EPC (button on the back). Somethings up if its not renewing everyone properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Same problem
    random disconnects like DOS attacks {ive been DOS attacked before}
    Speeds at like .2 mb /150 mb at times

Im not getting a log though.

FYI those IP,s could be DOS through proxy server

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Didnt realise DOS attacks were so common against random individuals.

Thargor wrote: »
    Didnt realise DOS attacks were so common against random individuals.

Ive known xbox gamers to add someone to an hourly auto DOS list for slightly annoying them.

I know a guy who does it to his friends so they lose and cant get a better rank...its all over kids getting competitive on GB

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dropped out on me 3 times last night, first time was for 3 minutes, second for around 10 and the third was for over 30 before I went to bed. Thought it would be fixed this morning, but my speeds are shocking. Not even getting 1MB on the UPC speedtest, can't even load speedtest.net.

First problems I've had with the Cisco router since I got it a few months ago.

Checked the logs and I'm not getting attacked.

Edit: I've reset my router 3 times and each time I have been assigned a new IP address. Before it started with 79. and my latest one starts with 89.
    Is that normal? I never knew you could get a new IP on UPC by simply resetting the router! I know you can in the UK with Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Mine has gone insane the last few days. I can't do anything anymore. Even writing this took 20 minutes. I'm on Mac and the connection just drops ALL THE TIME.

This seems like a wider problem?

sarkozy wrote: »
    Mine has gone insane the last few days. I can't do anything anymore. Even writing this took 20 minutes. I'm on Mac and the connection just drops ALL THE TIME.

This seems like a wider problem?

Yeah, I'm leaning towards overall network mismanagement. They may have gone to far with the last package upgrade(30-50 and so on).

could this be related to the recent issues with microsoft?
    I have always expected their fix may be a dodgy workaround and mine can be fine then 5 minutes on the 360 and it drops.

Any of you accessing microsoft servers before dropouts?

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    I have always expected their fix may be a dodgy workaround and mine can be fine then 5 minutes on the 360 and it drops.

Anyone running windows could be at any time...

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone running windows could be at any time...

I was more talking about the servers which couldnt be accessed before such as xbox and certain websites...not their updates etc I dont think they matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »

I'm on Mac and the connection's a disgrace. Unusable.

Gone to sh*t in the last 20 minutes again -_-

Hopefully better in the morning. I was downloading a torrent when it went bad, but I closed that 15 minutes ago and the internet is still slow. I've tried connecting directly through the Cisco (which I usually use as a bridge) and my Netgear but both are slow.

Sort it out please, UPC :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mine is dropping out right now and getting request timeouts.. FFS!

I'm not suffering any dropouts now, just crap internet speeds.

240944.png

Yep, thats the same problem. Area?

Yep, thats the same problem. Area?

I'm in Sligo.

Edit: I tested it twice in 5 minutes, first was the crap speeds of 3MB down and now it has jumped up to where it should be.

2507890979.png

And here's me thinking the problem had gone away.

Up and down the last hour or so. Not ever disconnecting from the net, just taking an age to load pages.

The strange thing is it works fine sometimes on my Cisco. I have my main PC connected through my netgear and it is slow, but I just tried it on my laptop that is wirelessly connected to the Cisco router and pages load fine :confused:.

Using the Cisco as my main router isn't an option so I hope this fixes itself. I've changed nothing the past few days since this started.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As stated in another thread, there's a lengthy-ish thread in the UPC forum here.

My money is on a broken cable somewhere. Having internet ping and speeds suddenly break down since Saturday night is unusual and not normal of a service that has become overcrowded (its normally a gradual breakdown).

My money is on mass uptake of Netflix/RTE/TV3 Player since the saorview switchover and Netflixs recent media blitz and UPCs crappy half-assed infrastructure cant handle it, what do you think?

• Advertisement

As before, the 50/100/150Mb rollout is where my money is at.

This is a fcuking mess again this evening, Boards about the only place I can get to load, infuriating that they're carrying on with the pretense of sending engineers to individual houses to 'fix' their connections when most of Dublin and the surrounding area is complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeDroiD

Hey guys. In my case I never have "slow connection", but it just keeps restarting every X hours. I don´t know why, but it keeps disconnecting and disconnecting.

Im a gamer, and when Im playing game, before disconnecting I see a huge amount of lag (like a DDoS attack) and after 1-2 minutes in which it seems that my connection is "fighting" against what I call this DDoS attack, I disconnect for about 10-15minutes...

Today I disconnected 1 time, 2minutes, not much, but still.

Does any1 have any information from UPC about what´s happening? I just moved to Dublin 4 months ago and it´s by far the WORST internet experience I´ve ever had in my entire life...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Last 2 days I have had issues with UPC interent connection - tried the old reboot, turn it off and on again sans success. while its on now, it was dialup slow a few hours ago...
    there website(rather than just be an advert) should state slow times and issues and areas where there is issues at least then you could accept it and expect someone is on the job of fixing it

Ye should complain in this thread in the UPC forum aswell and hopefully something might get done, this thread wont make any difference anyway:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056861588/1

Just rebooted itself :/

2518146194.png
    2518147789.png

Getting very fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

2518146194.png
    2518147789.png

Getting very fed up.
    Holy sh1t! It's like 2005 all over again!

You really should nag UPC every day until they fix it. Annoy them until they can't take it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

ED E wrote:

Getting very fed up.

Don't blame you that is going on long time now , had the same thing for months myself.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Holy sh1t! It's like 2005 all over again!

You really should nag UPC every day until they fix it. Annoy them until they can't take it anymore.

Problem is they just start a ticket for the house, which means a line test and a replacement unit which is f'ck all use.

What we need is them to look at the area as a whole, theres some sort of systemwide problem, but the CSRs will never pass me on to a senior network engineer.

Advertisement