Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far would you go to defend yourself & your home?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

In a nice deep sleep last night & got woken up by what I thought was someone breaking in. Instant panic set in.
    Looked out the front window & saw my neighbour doing his best (in his drunken state) to put his key in the door.
    Panic over I opened the window to tell him he had the wrong house but it got me thinking.
    I had stupidly left my phone downstairs, no house phone upstairs. I was also alone in the house.
    I also have access to a shotgun.
    So how far would you go to defend yourself? Or your home?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd pistol whip the burgler and set his dick on fire

or just let him take it, thats what insurance is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What ever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe. No if's or buts - no hesitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

It depends who were in the house with me. If it were my family and it got to the stage where the individuals were physically in the house, I'd probably do the necessary to minimise trouble. It isn't worth it around family. In my own apartment yeah, I'd probably try to stop them I think.

Oh now I am here on my own and thinking about ths stuff and wait, was that the door?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

My stuff they can have. Its not worth risking my life or freedom over. If they threatened my family though I'd gladly send them to meet their maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Biggins wrote: »
    What ever it takes to keep my wife and kids safe. No if's or buts - no hesitations.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If it came to family safety, my leg would be knee deep in his ass before he got a chance to say "I am not jeans".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd pistol whip the burgler and set his dick on fire

or just let him take it, thats what insurance is for.

Let him/ her take what they want but I have a huge fear of someone attacking me. Insurance will cover it but even if they don't I can always buy things again.
    I was there last night with the shotgun on the floor beside me waiting for someone to come in.
    If it was a robber I think I would have sh!t my pants but I would be hopeful that the shotgun would go a long way to scare them into running out of here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have a sidearm and hollow-point ammunition loaded and within arm's reach of the bed.

I think you can guess my opinion. Should be a fairly low re-offender rate, I think.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I have a sidearm and hollow-point ammunition loaded and within arm's reach of the bed.

I think you can guess my opinion.

"Do whatever you want to me, just please don't take my gun!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

are you guys living in ireland? Didnt realise people had such easy access to guns over here... thats a little worrying... yeah if my family were threatened i think id do whatever i had to but its all very well typing this, id love to see what my actual reaction would be.. I dont think id cower away though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the styre is used by the irish army for a reason :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Nappy wrote: »
    are you guys living in ireland?

I'm not. But one of the things they got right here in the US is that they have said that you're not forced to be at a disadvantage when defending yourself.

NTM

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Kill everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nappy wrote: »
    are you guys living in ireland? Didnt realise people had such easy access to guns over here... thats a little worrying... yeah if my family were threatened i think id do whatever i had to but its all very well typing this, id love to see what my actual reaction would be.. I dont think id cower away though...

Look at Manic_Moran's Location, not Ireland.

For defence of my family, I would do anything necessary to stop them being threatened.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Kill everyone.

Me too. I'd rather murder my own family than let some buzzed-off junkie thug do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Me too. I'd rather murder my own family than let some buzzed-off junkie thug do it.

I would high-five you but I'm covered in blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Someone tried to get in one night , not a good idea with 4 GSDs and a pyrenees mastiff there at the time (like this little guy : http://www.evcilkopekler.com/fotolar/1136917252pyreneesmastiff_09.jpg )

• Registered Users Posts: 81,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not. But one of the things they got right here in the US is that they have said that you're not forced to be at a disadvantage when defending yourself.

NTM
    Quite right. I have no doubt that a crook in Ireland has no moral quibbles or difficulties about breaking down your door with a loaded weapon. Good luck holding him off with the leg of your chair and a smile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Bad guy sushi is on the menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Overheal wrote: »
    Quite right. I have no doubt that a crook in Ireland has no moral quibbles or difficulties about breaking down your door with a loaded weapon. Good luck holding him off with the leg of your chair and a smile.

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people houses being broken into by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people house being broken by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.
    House shootings

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/man-shot-dead-at-house-in-co-antrim-1721687.html
    http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/shots-fired-at-house-in-graiguecullen-1676303.html

and some good ol' vanilla shootin's - theres plenty more, just search the Independent's website.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/gardai-investigate-crumlin-shooting-1728016.html
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/one-dead-two-injured-after-dublin-gun-attack-1731393.html
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/shooting-in-limerick-1734420.html

And thats just in the last month or so.

Its only BS until it happens to you.

Oh ho the Irish and their gunz - no srsly. Im tired of that US stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Complete BS :rolleyes:. How many reports have their been of people house being broken by scumbags with guns? And it's not like guns are hugely difficult to get for scumbags either.

Not hard to get, but quite expensive none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Overheal wrote: »

what the **** do any of those links have to do with burglaries?? :confused:

what the **** do any of those have to do with burglaries?? :confused:

The guns were stolen.

what the **** do any of those links have to do with burglaries?? :confused:
    They take your life dont they.

Its still someone breaking into your house to commit a crime. they have guns. and your govt has made sure you the law abiding citizen get a pointy stick to defend you, your family, your property and god forbid, protect whoever they have broken in to try and kill.

Also theres no conclusive evidence in the articles available to suggest that they werent armed burglaries. But thats sidestepping the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Quite simply.

They can get into my house, but they won't get out.

Quite simply.

They can get into my house, but they won't get out.
    I dont know why but this suddenly reminded me of

I suppose it could become the Irish Method to home security..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Once they seen me standing at the top of the stairs in a gimp suit with a chainsaw they would leave quietly.

Im not really a traditional Pj's type of guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think you can guess my opinion. Should be a fairly low re-offender rate, I think.

NTM
    Anyone stupid enough to break into a house with a tank in the driveway deserves all that they get. :D

Advertisement