Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 Mile recovery run. Overdue from last week's running, but decided to do it anyway today, as football has been called off. Pace: 7:42/mile. Average heart rate: 74%, so just about on target.

8 Hilly miles in the cold and the wet, including 10 x 100m strides, towards the end, when the terrain got a bit flatter. It's great when you find an enjoyable circuit like this, which is ideal for this kind of workout. The first 4.5 miles is a decent climb (up around Carrigologan), which sets you up for a nice restive return, and lots of energy to do the strides.

I think the exploring/sight-seeing nature of running is rarely mentioned on this forum, and often neglected by runners. For me, it's 'where you go' rather than 'what you do' which makes running so enjoyable. Not so sure about the accurracy of the Forerunner's elevation, but this should approximate the hill run:

68645.JPG

Oh yeah, took bang on an hour, @4:42/km, with Average HR: 156/82% (a little above aerobic, but that's the price of them there hills!).

4 Miles recovery in the Shanganagh Park. Switched over the Garmin to show only heart rate and distance, so had a nice relaxing run. Kept my HR below P&Ds 75%. Pace was 5m/km. This was my marathon race pace not so long ago, so it's great to see the progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

8 Hilly miles in the cold and the wet, including 10 x 100m strides, towards the end, when the terrain got a bit flatter. It's great when you find an enjoyable circuit like this, which is ideal for this kind of workout. The first 4.5 miles is a decent climb (up around Carrigologan), which sets you up for a nice restive return, and lots of energy to do the strides.

I think the exploring/sight-seeing nature of running is rarely mentioned on this forum, and often neglected by runners. For me, it's 'where you go' rather than 'what you do' which makes running so enjoyable. .

That's a good run Krusty. Agree with you on the sightseeing aspect of runs.

Another great run today. Schedule called for 9 miles Aerobic, so did a quick search on Motionbased' Trail Network, and found a backroad from Shankill to Cabinteely park, via Tully Burial grounds (think this was from one of Slogger Joggers' runs). I've ran past the top of Heronford road a couple of hundred times and never knew this path existed. And I had always wondered where and why that extra bridge over the M50 existed (I still don't really know!). Well, it was a great find, but I wonder if the LUAS works will put an end to this route, which is far more interesting (hilly/muddy) than the N11.

9 Miles - Pace: 7:38/Mile - Time: 1:09 - HR: 151 (79%). Elevation gain: 589m.
    Even managed a mile or two at planned marathon pace.

A buddy of mine gave me a couple of sachets of Hornet Juice, which he swears by, so I figured I'd give one a try. Well, I don't know if it made any difference (and I'm normally dubious about these things), but since my run I'm bouncing around the place. Tastes like muck though! Further proof that I'll eat anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great run KC. I really do think you are stalking me now. :pac:

There was another one I did one day from Cabinteely to the lead mines tower and from there to... the top of 3 rock mountain. Needless to say I was wrecked afterwards and it was quite trafficy along the main Enniskerry road.

I too am a great believer in the sightsighting / restorative powers of running. Theres nothing quite like running on a crisp winter morning in the Wicklow hills. Theres the curiousity factor in exploring paths and roads less taken, and for me thats one of my main reasons in running. Being able to do races and marathons at the end of it is a bonus.

I'm looking forward to being off from this Friday and taking a bit more time to do more runs around Wicklow.. more than the HH schedule is looking for, so I'll disregard the garmin technology on some of them and run simply for the enjoyment.

Great run KC. I really do think you are stalking me now. :pac:
    Stalking you? I couldn't keep up with you! There's no way I could have made it up to three rock mountain after a run like that! You're insane! I was delighted with an out and back, with a lap of Cabinteely Park. Nice and easy now for the rest of the week, until a 14 mile run this weekend. Probably the coastal route to Dun Laoghaire and back, which is as nice as urban runs get, in South County Dub.

14 Mile LSR with a buddy, at a pace slower than my usual LSR pace (8:44/mile), but finished with two miles at planned marathon pace so happy overall. Average heart rate 130, so not getting the full benefits of the long run, but it's early days yet, with many more long runs to go. 405 reported almost 2,000 feet of ascents, but I think the Garmin reads the altitude way too high. We got a few nice hills in though, which will help in Connemara.

MotionBased.

Elevation stats look odd considering you're avoiding out and out hills. Good running though. You must have been tempted to jog up to the lead mines tower? :)

There seems to be an issue with some Garmins. Even when I was looking at people's stats for the Raheny 5 mile on Motionbased, people with the same model of Forerunner were getting substantially different results. It's probably down to changes Garmin made in the firmware, but the differences are massive. But don't ruin my buzz! Let me believe I scaled mountains today. :o

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Hal Higdon's strength training.

Today: 8 Miles with 4 miles at 15km/Half marathon pace. Carrying a bit of festive illness (hangover), and wasn't in the mood to go out today, but delighted that I did. Wasn't sure whether to aim for half-marathon pace based on my planned marathon pace, or based on my previous marathon pace. Went somewhere in the middle.

The quick miles were:
    6:49
    7:14 (uphill)
    7:16 (uphill)
    6:31 (downhill).

Summary: 8 Miles - Pace: 7:12/Mile - Time: 57:45 - HR: 149 (79%). Elevation gain: 515 metres(?).

Garmin Connect

Good going Krusty. The first mile or so out the door the day after the night before is often the worst. Are you around for the sugarloaf run on 27th?

No, sadly I'm down in Roscommon, visiting with the outlaws. Sounds like a great race too. :( Enjoy it!

Looking forward to my 8 mile hill-run on Christmas morning, before the madness of the rest of the day.

Today: Swim around the 40-foot, in Dun Laoghaire. Brrrrr......

Turkey washed, stuffed and greased-up. 8 Miles - aerobic, to go pick up my car from outside the pub...and yes, I kept my santa hat on the whole time. :)

Summary: 8 Miles - Pace: 7:32/Mile - Time: 1:01:08 - HR: 146 (78%). Elevation gain: 1,728 feet(?).
    Motionbased

Happy Christmas all!

Supposed to do a 4 mile recovery, but my discipline fell apart again. Before I leave the house, I pick a nice easy four mile route to aid with the recovery. Head out, and hit the first bend in the road, and subconsciously take a left turn and head up the local hill route. Almost 300 metres of climbing later, I look down with satisfaction at the park down below, where I was supposed to be running. Beautiful afternoon, but not much of a recovery run (average hear rate: 151 (80%).

Summary: 5 Miles - Pace: 8:43/Mile - Time: 42:23 - HR: 151 (80%). Elevation gain: 1,064 feet(?).
    Motionbased - Think I'll use this route for my fitness testing in future.

Good running KC

13 Mile long run today, and was down in Roscommon town, so decided I'd use the opportunity to go exploring. Started with a loop around Roscommon Castle (how often do you get an opportunity to run inside a castle as part of your long run?!), then out to Moate Park, for some lovely 'Wicklow Way-esque' forest trails and hills. Who knew that there were hills in Roscommon?!

Very enjoyable run, and great to see other runners out there, a handful of which would have been in the M65 category.

Summary: 13.3 Miles - Pace: 7:37/Mile(:eek:) - Time: 1:41:43 - HR: 148 (78%). Elevation gain: 3,000 feet (I know this must be way off, when comparing to other loggers results, but it's still handy for comparing against other of my runs). This time would have been a good chunk off of my Connemarathon half result, over hillier terrain, and I was enjoying myself, not pushing too hard, so happy with that improvement.
    MotionBased

A rather lazy 34 miles for this week, but not bad for a silly season week.

Brought the young fella over to Old Trafford for his xmas pressie, and the cold and flu that I started to brew on my last long run developed into an FMD (flu mass destruction), so have been laid low for the last 5 days. It's the longest break in running I've had since I started training for the Connemarathon Half, almost a year ago.

On a positive note, picked up a pair of Innov8 Flyroc's while over in Manchester, for 65 euro, which I've bought for the IMRA races, and the occasional Wicklow Way or local hill run. So after waiting four days with no sign of respite, decided I'd go against my better judgment and take the Flyroc's over the hills for a spin. A good 7 mile run over Carrigologan and the Scalp, definitely not recovered, as the HR was too high, and I ran out of steam on some of the steeper sections. Still, good to get out and break in the new shoes. Hopefully feel ok for my long run tomorrow.

Cool. Picked up the mudclaw's recently myself but haven't run in anger in them yet. We can compare notes after the winter league :)
    http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&P=5050973055&L=27

Jaysus... Bottom of page 2. You know it's a bad start to the year. :rolleyes:
    Overrun with flu/cold/other sh1te, and on a huge selection of anti-biotics, it's not quite the start to the year I had planned.

Yesterday: 8 and a bit miles, plus some bike time. Decided to go to the gym yesterday, for my 8 miles with 10x100m strides, and you can tell there's a huge number of new years resolutions in force. No treadmills available, so got onto one of those hill climbing machines, which would only go up to 12.9km/hr so set the gradient to 5% and bashed out my first 7.5kms. Then switched to a treadmill, and bashed out another 3km at 14/hr, with strides at 18km/hour before the knackered Loughlinstown equipment gave up the ghost. Another treadmill, and finished out the session.

Today: 5 miles in 34:33 in the icy cold, with the sun on my back.. Nice.. No running next week, just high-altitude training, on snow. Yippee...

• Advertisement

Back to page 2 again! The 1,000 mile challenge must be keeping all the loggers very active!

Today called for 9 miles aerobic, so I set off just after mid-day, at a decent gallop. Lovely sunshine, and nice running through the various parks between Cabinteely and Shankill. I think the frustration of only running once last week (and no running next week) and annoying flus got the better of me, so I pushed a little harder than I should have. But my average heart rate was still (barely) in my aerobic zone. Average heart rate: 155. Finished nine miles in 1:03:21, which I was very happy with, as it would run me very close to a sub 70 minute 10 miler.

Summary: 9.3 miles, in 1:05:36, @7:03/mile.

A nice run. Conditions for running near Cabinteely today were just ace.

It was lovely.. I have a plan to try and find a 20 mile flat'ish loop, that takes in mostly parks, trails and stays off the main roads, without repeating any sections. There are some old right of ways that are mostly undocumented, but which you can find on the online OSI maps. Hope to get there eventually.

Today: HH Strength training, followed by: 6 mile recovery run around Shankill (Inverted Shamrock!). HR: 143. Pace: 7:33/mile.

Cool. You could have a competition to see who could run the silliest shape of route :) It almost looked to me like you'd marked out the biggest murder scene, CSI style, of a very large giant had fallen on Shankill.

Today's run didn't look like much of anything, so I must try and run more shapely runs in future. :D

Summary: 14 Mile medium long run, with some gentle hills, in: 1:46:41, @7:37/mile. Exhausted after mile 11. Had to make up a few inspirational mantras, including some previously unheard swear words. It's been a hard week, with no rest days, but worth it. I can head off on holidays (shortly), with no regrets. Watch out for me here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Have a great holiday Krusty. Hope you come back in one piece:D

Good running KC. You're really going to have to get out of your Shankill base and run elsewhere. Hey, I know... can you run in snow :)

SJ wrote:
    Hey, I know... can you run in snow
    Believe me, I considered it, and had my innov8's with me just in case. :o
    But it was hard enough just walking around the town with all the black ice, without trying to run.

Only managed 143 miles last week, unfortunately can't log them in the 1,000 mile challenge, as most of them were either sitting on a chair lift, or flying down-hill with a couple of skis strapped on. Still, the hills would put anyone to shame! Typical day:
    70675.jpg

Today: 14.x miles, over a very hilly course, that included a trip up to Johnny Foxes, over to Enniskerry, up around Carrigologan, and home again, with just Jeff Buckley and the occasional wind-borne trampoline for company. Really horrible weather (with occasional bouts of pleasant sunshine), with the wind hitting me full force in the steepest section up to Glencullen.

Was very tired during the final hill climb up to Carrigologan, as normally I would bring a drink and a gel on anything over 13 miles, but hadn't bothered this time. Painful run, as some of the muscles were complaining after a week of skiing and no running, but it was real 'man against the elements' kind of stuff, so couldn't give in. :o Feet up for the rest of the day!

Summary: 14.2 miles, 1:57 mins, pace:5:06/km, HR: 153, knackered.

• Advertisement

Great running KC. Testing route on any day and you had to pick today's weather to do it in :-)

Advertisement