Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

strongback wrote: »
    Was that worth a post?

Ryanair are strict to the point of being antagonistic was my point.

Anyway the daughter was still able to walk onto the plane and sit down even though see was refused entry.

The previous poster mentioned names being called out on a tannoy. Ryanair don't do a lot of that.

He's giving his opinion. You gave yours. Why are you getting defensive?

I bet the truth behind this story is your friends daughter was flying alone or with friends. She missed the flight and told her mother that she was only 30 seconds late for the plane. Her mother then passed on the tale saying "They wouldn't let her on the plane despite being only thirty seconds late".

I also have my suspicions about the lifetime ban. It would cost FR a lot of money to actually ban someone for life. It would have to go to court for it to happen. Unless she did a lot more then just sit down this wouldn't be worth FR's time or money.

I'm always sceptical of any story that starts with my friends daughter/son or my friend was telling me about one of his friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

syklops wrote: »
    He's giving his opinion. You gave yours. Why are you getting defensive?

I bet the truth behind this story is your friends daughter was flying alone or with friends. She missed the flight and told her mother that she was only 30 seconds late for the plane. Her mother then passed on the tale saying "They wouldn't let her on the plane despite being only thirty seconds late".

I also have my suspicions about the lifetime ban. It would cost FR a lot of money to actually ban someone for life. It would have to go to court for it to happen. Unless she did a lot more then just sit down this wouldn't be worth FR's time or money.

I'm always sceptical of any story that starts with my friends daughter/son or my friend was telling me about one of his friends...

Defensive??? Moi?? That mans post was entered without the assistance of a single neurone.

Anyway Miss Marple, I don't want to sound facetious but I couldn't care less about your suspicions. I'm sure there are more grave matters that would benefit greatly from your deductive powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yeah, that story is nonsense. You forgot the bit where they took her bag and fed it to velociraptors that were actually FLYING the plane...without fuel.

Defensive??? Moi?? That mans post was entered without the assistance of a single neurone.

Anyway Miss Marple, I don't want to sound facetious but I couldn't care less about your suspicions. I'm sure there are more grave matters that would benefit greatly from your deductive powers.

2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,969 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Charming

I very rarely believe the 'a friend was telling me' or 'My friend's sisters boyfriend said' type of posts as they are very rarely accurate. If you believe them then fine.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    yeah, that story is nonsense. You forgot the bit where they took her bag and fed it to velociraptors that were actually FLYING the plane...without fuel.

The story actually isn't nonsense.

Maybe some people are never late and have never Ryanair refusing to board people but the seasoned traveler is well aware of Ryanair stopping people from getting on a plane for lateness.

Do you think all those people running like lunatics along the travelator on their way to Pier A actually make their plane. I've even broken into a mild jog myself on occasion as I ran around the curved corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why can't people just arrive on time for a flight,its not a big ask of anyone.If you are late for a flight tough luck,you will know better next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The story actually isn't nonsense.

Maybe some people are never late and have never Ryanair refusing to board people but the seasoned traveler is well aware of Ryanair stopping people from getting on a plane for lateness.

Do you think all those people running like lunatics along the travelator on their way to Pier A actually make their plane. I've even broken into a mild jog myself on occasion as I ran around the curved corridor.

Indeed. The seasoned traveller also recognises as nonsense a story of a woman refused boarding, getting on anyway (:eek:) and then, drum roll, getting "a lifetime ban".

Indeed. The seasoned traveller also recognises as nonsense a story of a woman refused boarding, getting on anyway (:eek:) and then, drum roll, getting "a lifetime ban".

As I said the women was hot headed. She is very real and lives in East Wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

In 2010 I flew every week to the UK with Ryanair. Nothing would surprise me with them. It's just about learning the drill so they don't get the opportunity to apply their terms and conditions. Make no mistake they see their passengers as little more than cattle.

The daughter deserved her life ban. I couldn't care less how Ryanair police the ban.
    I've been flying with them every other week for years now and can confirm this.

There's already a book out about them called Ruinair http://www.paulkilduff.com/ruinair.htm

To be honest I could probably write a book myself with experiences I've had with FR over the years, some downright horror stories but you'll always get the FR apologists with the same old "ah shure we'd be paying hundreds if it wasn't for Ryanair" yeah yeah we know you've only mentioned it thousands of times, that was then and this is now, and they aren't always that cheap anymore (trust me I fly enough with them to know)

I'm well used to them by now but still see people getting shafted by them regularly mostly for baggage which is something EI rarely, if ever do, I just grin and bear it and the sooner I'm on and off the cattle truck the better.

#you have arrived on yet another on time flight :-*

• Advertisement

Just for all the pass remarkable types who like nothing more than to question a genuine posters integrity, and let be straight basically calling him a liar, here's a little story about life bans from Ryanair and there are many more of these little O'Leary gems.

[Ryanair bans smoking passengers for life

Eight passengers were today banned for life from flying with low-cost carrier Ryanair 'for compromising passenger and crew safety by smoking on board'.

Ryanair's communications head Paul Fitzsimmons said: 'Passenger and crew safety is our number one priority. Smoking during a flight compromises the safety of everyone on board an aircraft and is strictly prohibited.'

He went on: 'There remains a tiny minority of passengers who stupidly and recklessly persist in endangering the safety of others by smoking on board. The airline will immediately ban anyone found smoking on board any Ryanair flight and pass the offenders over to the police for prosecution.'

It is understood the offences were on a number of different Ryanair flights.
    All the cases have been handed over to the police. The offenders could now face charges relating to plane, crew and passenger safety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-591871/Ryanair-bans-smoking-passengers-life.html

I hope that satisfies the noddy element.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I've been flying with them every other week for years now and can confirm this.

There's already a book out about them called Ruinair http://www.paulkilduff.com/ruinair.htm

To be honest I could probably write a book myself with experiences I've had with FR over the years, some downright horror stories but you'll always get the FR apologists with the same old "ah shure we'd be paying hundreds if it wasn't for Ryanair" yeah yeah we know you've only mentioned it thousands of times, that was then and this is now, and they aren't always that cheap anymore (trust me I fly enough with them to know)

I'm well used to them by now but still see people getting shafted by them regularly mostly for baggage which is something EI rarely, if ever do, I just grin and bear it and the sooner I'm on and off the cattle truck the better.

#you have arrived on yet another on time flight :-*

Read the book, although funny its more of a fiction based on exaggerations of events in the authors head.

Yes and the ones that follow the rules would love it if other people just followed the bloody rules and stopped taking the p1ss

Aer Lingus do not regulate this crap enough and a lot of the time boarding the Plane resembles a Leslie Nielsen movie.

Worse still the people who get on last end up with having to check in their bags due to people bringing on too much stuff.

Basically they have to waste their time at the other end because someone broke the rules.

Read the book, although funny its more of a fiction based on exaggerations of events in the authors head.

Yes and the ones that follow the rules would love it if other people just followed the bloody rules and stopped taking the p1ss

Aer Lingus do not regulate this crap enough and a lot of the time boarding the Plane resembles a Leslie Nielsen movie.

Worse still the people who get on last end up with having to check in their bags due to people bringing on too much stuff.

Basically they have to waste their time at the other end because someone broke the rules.

I'd agree with this particularly when flying to Italy where the rules of Western European courtesy are frowned upon. Every man for himself and nonchalantly blocking the aisle indefinitely to put a bag in the overhead locker when 150 people are still trying to board the plane is a god given right. Empathy for their fellow travellers?........'hahaha' they say. Flying from Rome with Aer Lingus means at least 45 minutes to board the plane.

That doesn't happen with Mr O'Leary's flights though due to a burly women barking at passengers in a monosyllabic growl to sit down or else. The burly women doesn't like babies travelling, they are the enemy.

Just for all the pass remarkable types who like nothing more than to question a genuine posters integrity, and let be straight basically calling him a liar, here's a little story about life bans from Ryanair and there are many more of these little O'Leary gems.

[Ryanair bans smoking passengers for life

Eight passengers were today banned for life from flying with low-cost carrier Ryanair 'for compromising passenger and crew safety by smoking on board'.

Ryanair's communications head Paul Fitzsimmons said: 'Passenger and crew safety is our number one priority. Smoking during a flight compromises the safety of everyone on board an aircraft and is strictly prohibited.'

He went on: 'There remains a tiny minority of passengers who stupidly and recklessly persist in endangering the safety of others by smoking on board. The airline will immediately ban anyone found smoking on board any Ryanair flight and pass the offenders over to the police for prosecution.'

It is understood the offences were on a number of different Ryanair flights.
    All the cases have been handed over to the police. The offenders could now face charges relating to plane, crew and passenger safety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-591871/Ryanair-bans-smoking-passengers-life.html

I hope that satisfies the noddy element.

That article refers to criminal charges being brought on the offenders. No-one here was saying that ryanair dont ban people. We said it is unlikely that that passenger was banned without a judicial ruling.

No-one suggested you were lying, instead I, suggested that your friend told you a slightly exaggerated story which she had been told by her daughter, who didn't give all the facts.

I don't disagree that Ryanair will refuse you from bordering if you are late. Happens all the time. You said the girl was late by 30 seconds. Thats where the shenanigans are being called.

Stop back pedalling and stop being so precious.

That article refers to criminal charges being brought on the offenders. No-one here was saying that ryanair dont ban people. We said it is unlikely that that passenger was banned without a judicial ruling.

No-one suggested you were lying, instead I, suggested that your friend told you a slightly exaggerated story which she had been told by her daughter, who didn't give all the facts.

I don't disagree that Ryanair will refuse you from bordering if you are late. Happens all the time. You said the girl was late by 30 seconds. Thats where the shenanigans are being called.

Stop back pedalling and stop being so precious.

I like that last sentence it made me laugh.

I think you may be taking me too seriously.

I like that last sentence it made me laugh.

I think you may be taking me too seriously.

So you mean to say your trolling?

Triffic.

So you mean to say your trolling?

Triffic.

I wouldn't call it trolling just being a bit whimsical.

The story is true though. Inner city head cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I wouldn't call it trolling just being a bit whimsical.

The story is true though. Inner city head cases.

Boll***s

Boll***s

Good boy............well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

While we are at the slag RyR/compared to Aer L stuff, just noticed today a "subtle" change in the online checkin 'service' of Aer L - you cannot go anywhere in the sequence without buying a seat..... give us a break. You cannot check in without buying a seat until 30 hours before takeoff, ffs, not very handy if you're on the road....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That's been the case for a while hasn't it? I've been flying Dublin to Southend for 18 months and have never been able to check in until 30 hours before the flight without paying for a seat.

It would be bad were it not easy, and free, to check in at the airport if you can't check in during the 30 hour window,

BarryM wrote: »
    While we are at the slag RyR/compared to Aer L stuff, just noticed today a "subtle" change in the online checkin 'service' of Aer L - you cannot go anywhere in the sequence without buying a seat..... give us a break. You cannot check in without buying a seat until 30 hours before takeoff, ffs, not very handy if you're on the road....

The first time I booked under Aer Lingus' new inclusion of the seat purchase option I chose to ignore buying a seat but then wasn't sure if I has completed the booking fully. I received no confirmation email so I rang Aer Lingus and they told me the flight had been booked and they would email a confirmation though I never received one.

Anyway it didn't matter as I just checked in at the airport.

I agree with you though that the way Aer Lingus are handling the booking, buying a seat and checking in could be more coherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I see Ryanair issued a Profit guidance to Shareholders yesterday that profits will be at the lower end of previous forecasts, which led to shares falling significantly.

Several have commented on this forum that they've noticed fares have been creeping up for at least the last year.

The combination of good weather at home, baggage costs, which as the Telegraph reported a couple of weeks ago mean that it can be cheaper to courier your bag to your destination than put it on the plane, spiralling fares and endless stories about being unfairly fined for not following the rules have shown that people's appetite for flying Ryanair is not without limit.

As a result, for the fist time in a while, we are back to seeing "Seat Sales" again at a good few €s less than they were only a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Should I be posting this here or another board??

Having trouble trying to book flights on the website. My mam tried the other day but after the security puzzle she kept getting an "error - page not found". She called them but they said to try a different browser and wouldn't let her book over the phone. Still didn't work. I just tried from my laptop and my OH's computer on different browsers with pop-ups enabled, adblock disabled etc, but I can only get as far as this (see attachment)

I tried refreshing the page. No joy. Google is no help. Anyone else having trouble?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Works for me

Works for me

What browser you using? I tried it on cometbird, chrome and IE, and on my bfs computer, dunno what the problem is! I disabled all extensions too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

rawn wrote: »
    What browser you using? I tried it on cometbird, chrome and IE, and on my bfs computer, dunno what the problem is! I disabled all extensions too...

That picture is from my phone. it was working yesterday on internet explorer for me. I'll check Firefox and chrome for you in a bit

That picture is from my phone. it was working yesterday on internet explorer for me. I'll check Firefox and chrome for you in a bit

Just tried on my phone there using wifi, didn't work, tried it again using mobile data, worked fine. Must be a problem with UPC? Thanks anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

rawn wrote: »
    Just tried on my phone there using wifi, didn't work, tried it again using mobile data, worked fine. Must be a problem with UPC? Thanks anywho

MTU size setting in your router.

• Advertisement

MTU size setting in your router.

Could well be. Adjusting the MTU was often the silver bullet when I was working for BT. For everything from speed issues to SSL.

Advertisement