Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midband speedtest Megaathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

-=al=- wrote: »
    Yup could very well be but the connection dropped for about an hour or so then when it returned the signal was weaker... Even with contention the signal should be similar right?

If I saw this antenna before the other one I definitely would have opted for this

http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte/lte-mimo-antenna-atk-log-lte-800-2170mhz-5m-cable-sma-plug.html

10m and 5m cable length for about 40-50€ Reasonable price, directional and better gain

To be honest I am not sure if cell shrinkage is the same issue with 4g as it was with 3g services :confused:

3859456927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jawacz

Hi, I am in Dunshaughlin and use a Meteor 4G sim in Lumia 1020 4G phone, I am not in a 4G area altough sometimes I get a 4G reception with one bar on the display, most times I am on 3G, H and H+. the speed test below (hope you can see it) was done with the phone displaying H+. Ping: 101ms. Download: 0.21 Mbps. Upload: 0.74Mbps. I have just spoken to Meteor and they say no problem in the network and suggested something else like radio interference may be causing the problem, is this possible? I have also got a Huawei E586 wireless hotspot modem (not 4G) and have had very slow internet access when connected by wifi to my laptop but only when the modem is displaying "H" usually OK when modem is displaying "3G" What can I do to resolve this?

Just got Boards.ie message that I can not post links to images as I am a new user!

Ping: 101ms. Download: 0.21 Mbps. Upload: 0.74Mbps.

jawacz wrote: »
    Hi, I am in Dunshaughlin and use a Meteor 4G sim in Lumia 1020 4G phone, I am not in a 4G area altough sometimes I get a 4G reception with one bar on the display, most times I am on 3G, H and H+. the speed test below (hope you can see it) was done with the phone displaying H+. Ping: 101ms. Download: 0.21 Mbps. Upload: 0.74Mbps. I have just spoken to Meteor and they say no problem in the network and suggested something else like radio interference may be causing the problem, is this possible? I have also got a Huawei E586 wireless hotspot modem (not 4G) and have had very slow internet access when connected by wifi to my laptop but only when the modem is displaying "H" usually OK when modem is displaying "3G" What can I do to resolve this?

Just got Boards.ie message that I can not post links to images as I am a new user!

Keep at them. If there is interference to their signal then they would need to investigate that and fix that since that is their problem.

3867286877.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

About the average for the last few days with the signal varying from 2-3 bars now!

3867320803.png

Don't know where I got that 30Mb download speed when I first got it... It hasn't been as good since! Even if I did just get that a few times. Still not too bad though... Anything over 10Mb is fine with me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

jawacz wrote: »

Is the phone able to get good 4G service anywhere else ? I had 4G on my iPhone from the point of passing Dublin Airport never seen the 3G or E symbol at all in the city or on the outskirts of Dublin either. I get 4G in most parts of Ashbourne not all areas though.

4G signal wouldn't really reach dunshaughlin going by meteors map although the map isn't very accurate at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 jawacz

jay93 wrote: »
    Is the phone able to get good 4G service anywhere else ? I had 4G on my iPhone from the point of passing Dublin Airport never seen the 3G or E symbol at all in the city or on the outskirts of Dublin either. I get 4G in most parts of Ashbourne not all areas though.

4G signal wouldn't really reach dunshaughlin going by meteors map although the map isn't very accurate at all.

Rarely see 4G, was in Meteor store in Blanchardstown tonight and was told that there is an issue within the past few days and should be resolved by lunch time tomorrow. I did a speed test in the store and only got 0.5 Mbps download while on 3G. Within 30 mins. and still in the shopping centre I noticed 4G then did a speed test and got over 42 Mbps! You are right 4G is not available in Dunshaughlin.

3872363334.png

4G test on Vodafone 4G modem at home getting around 32-33Mb/s on my iPhone 5s WiFi .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Pretty good that. I Got some awesome speeds when I initially got 4g but averaging around 12-15Mb down and 10Mb up. Cant complain really, pretty stable and consistent. Sometimes the odd youtube video get's a bit laggy but sorts itself out. Can't get 3 bars of signal though! I reckon there's a few Mb left in that extra bit of signal.

rZjQefQl.png

-=al=- wrote: »
    About the average for the last few days with the signal varying from 2-3 bars now!

3867320803.png

Don't know where I got that 30Mb download speed when I first got it... It hasn't been as good since! Even if I did just get that a few times. Still not too bad though... Anything over 10Mb is fine with me really.

Same as myself in terms of signal and speeds mate

3874670359.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

havent moved dongle in weeks, connection has dropped from 3 to 1 bars and dl speed has gone up again...

3881560666.png

• Advertisement

3921972288.png

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Best result yet!

Pdba337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Vodafone has gone to ****e again.

3944928231.png

3968235255.png

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

1062217072.png

Indoors where I'd usually have poor 4G with meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Vodafone here, before they do work on the network this week.

4054833465.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

4055277333.png

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Got a text off them last Friday, they are upgrading the network in our area, we can expect outages this week for a time. They maybe installing 4G ? I'm still on 3G (so called, warlikedave always annoys me with his speed results :eek: ) Hopefully a lot of people switch over to 4G here and reduce contention :D

Am I the only Vodafone user around here?

I have Vodafone 4G on my phone I can post some speed tests in a bit .

I got those exact same texts last summer when Vodafone were installing 4G on the mast in my area took them about a week to fully get it up and running was getting faint signal here and there until I seen them working on the mast . Few hours later 4G appeared on my phone with full strong signal .

Hopefully they will upgrade your area to 4G :)

Oh and also if they are doing the 4G upgrade my 3G disappeared the day they were doing the upgrades was on GPRS so this is usually a sign they are doing something :)

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Got a text off them last Friday, they are upgrading the network in our area, we can expect outages this week for a time. They maybe installing 4G ? I'm still on 3G (so called, warlikedave always annoys me with his speed results :eek: ) Hopefully a lot of people switch over to 4G here and reduce contention :D

Cant resist sharing my speeds :P

I use vodafone myself for my phone mate - i get those messages every so often myself but they havent yet upgraded to 4g in my area, 3g switched off and no data access etc...

Hopefully the message is 4g goodness for ye dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

I'm with vodafone find there 4G coverage great both indoors and out.
    I've attached a speedtest this is what I generally get.

This is with 2 bars of signal of Vodafone 4G on a Sony Xperia E3 will tether my iPhone to my laptop and post a test from that soon I usually don't see over 35Mb/s down and 20mb/s up where I live unless I'm closer to the mast.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1121236150

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

e mobile gone to pot in the mid-west......the storm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

fryup wrote: »
    e mobile gone to pot in the mid-west......the storm??
    Around 25 to 30 mobile masts are not transmitting in Donegal, Mayo and Sligo, with isolated masts off air in parts of Limerick and north Wexford.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0115/672653-weather-story/

4063434964.png

Vodafone 4G phone connected to the laptop to do the test this is on 2 bars of signal.

I get usually 2 bars on both my Sony Xperia E3 and iPhone 5s indoors.. outside i get full signal in most areas where i live.

Switched to 3G to do a test on that also on Vodafone.

Signal is reporting as HSPA+ from Vodafones coverage checker it says i'm in a 3G Dual Carrier area which has a max speed of 42Mb/s.

Very impressed with the speed on 3G in my area too.

4063737759.png

:o

Vodafone here, before they do work on the network this week.

4054833465.png

Speed today, not sure if upgrade is complete. Service out most of yesterday evening and only back this morning at 12.

4063860679.png

Speed today, not sure if upgrade is complete. Service out most of yesterday evening and only back this morning at 12.

4063860679.png

Tried to post this last night but failed. Connection kept dropping about every five minutes. Couldn't even get chance to post this result between drop outs.
    This was taken at around 10 last night.

4065228555.png

And this is supposed to be after the "network upgrade" in our area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Tried to post this last night but failed. Connection kept dropping about every five minutes. Couldn't even get chance to post this result between drop outs.
    This was taken at around 10 last night.

4065228555.png

And this is supposed to be after the "network upgrade" in our area?

If your location is where I think it is, I was visiting that area last Summer and had excellent 4G coverage from Meteor....might be worth a try?

Advertisement