Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop recognizes cd's but not dvd's.

Options
  • 28-09-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

As per the title, my laptop doesnt register that there is a DVD in the DVD player but it finds CD's no problem.

I have checked the region of the DVD and that is not the problem.

The laptop is a dell latitude D620 running windows XP.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

this wasnt you by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

No not me. I am trying to play DVD's on the laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's a pretty old lappie. I don't mean to be rude, but you have checked it is actually a DVD drive, yes? Should be a DVD logo on the drawer if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

dahamsta wrote: »
    That's a pretty old lappie. I don't mean to be rude, but you have checked it is actually a DVD drive, yes? Should be a DVD logo on the drawer if it is.

Would say that the OP knows if it plays DVDs. Have come across quite a few old DVD/CD drives that eventually stop playing DVDs but can still read or write CDs.

OP, if you have access to another laptop, swap the drives and see what happens. Should be able to test if it is faulty or not

Yes it has the DVD logo on the side. Here's the tech spec:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P108458/en/spec.htm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Is the problem that the DVD doesn't show up in my computer or is not auto playing ?

areyawell wrote: »
    Is the problem that the DVD doesn't show up in my computer or is not auto playing ?

Both, it doesnt show up and wont play. also i should point out that i cant find the drivers to download from anywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Did u try a couple of dvds are just the one?

Both, it doesnt show up and wont play. also i should point out that i cant find the drivers to download from anywhere.

Did u try a couple of dvds are just the one?

Yes a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

bop1977 wrote: »

The problem is the laser lens for reading DVD's is damaged, the laser lens for reading CD's is fine, that's why it will read one and not the other.

You might have some luck finding a replacement drive on e-bay (easy enough to pop the latch on the current damaged drive and remove it, then slot in the new drive in the bay), but for my money I'd nearly just buy a brand new USB slimline external DVD-RW drive for about €70, as opposed to a replacement drive for about €100 + shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Not sure if this is hardware /soft related issue, you could always try reinstalling the driver for your optical device, alternatively find a firmware update for that specific model.
    Dell support should have that on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

On mobile so can't see your location. I have a spare external cdrw/dvdrw if you want it. Pay postage and you can have it. Granted it might be awkward because its external plug and play but sure it'll work and its free.

On mobile so can't see your location. I have a spare external cdrw/dvdrw if you want it. Pay postage and you can have it. Granted it might be awkward because its external plug and play but sure it'll work and its free.

Pm sent. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You find parts for these laptops easily I'd assume. Should be cheap enough 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Did you install daemon tools, Any DVD or anything similar? Anything that makes a virtual CD?

They have settings in them that disable DVDs but not CDs to avoid copy protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Get dvd lens cleaning kit, cost 2 euro 2euro shop, or similar discount shop.clean the lens,open tray,leave open for 10 minutes, to dry out lens.
    then try a cd, first, then try dvd.
    Just use a tiny amount of the cleaning fluid on the dvd brushes, pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Used this once on a problem machine and it solved a similar problem... http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

bluferbl wrote: »
    Used this once on a problem machine and it solved a similar problem... http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

Thanks, i'll give this a go later.

Advertisement