Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Run Snack

• 25-06-2014 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I have recently started running again in an effort to shift some pounds, have been on the treadmill every other day almost for the last couple of weeks and last night went back on the road and did 5k.

Whenever I finish my run I feel that I am starving and need food fast, I had a bowl of fruit last night straight after my run (pineapple, grapes, raspberry, blueberry) but within 30 mins of eating this I was hungry again and had to get a small bowl of Special K to stave off the hunger.

I was wondering if there are any snacks I could have that would help me feel full after a run or something healthy to eat, I feel that after running the 5k I have pretty much wiped away any benefit by eating both the fruit and the Special K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

special k = sugar.

Why not have some eggs, or an omelette? There are so many things you could eat really - why the special k? (in fact just put the packet in the bin and do yourself a favour)

What time do you run at? Why not come home from the run, take a shower and just make your regular dinner?

Means you are running fasted since lunch and you're eating a normal (hopefully healthy) dinner to fill your hunger post run.

Beats adding in an extra snack/meal post run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Do you eat anything before you run?

Also...are you sure its not thirst? I know it seems basic. But sometimes I feel a hunger pang after a run but I sip on a pint of water and that usually offsets it.

Otherwise try a banana?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd go for protein and fats over carbs and sugar. Perhaps boil a couple of eggs before going out and have them with a little salt.

Going for a run and then having dinner is the best idea though. No need for extra snacks then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

kennyb3 wrote: »
    special k = sugar.

Why not have some eggs, or an omelette? There are so many things you could eat really - why the special k? (in fact just put the packet in the bin and do yourself a favour)

What time do you run at? Why not come home from the run, take a shower and just make your regular dinner?

Means you are running fasted since lunch and you're eating a normal (hopefully healthy) dinner to fill your hunger post run.

Beats adding in an extra snack/meal post run.

Eggs or an omelette sounds like a much better alternative, I usually run at about 7.30 - 8 after dinner due to the time I get home and other commitments it is hard to run before dinner.

What I was going to do was to cut down on the size of the dinner portion knowing that I would be eating again a few hours later, maybe have a light snack at my usual dinner time, run then have a proper meal after.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Eggs or an omelette sounds like a much better alternative, I usually run at about 7.30 - 8 after dinner due to the time I get home and other commitments it is hard to run before dinner.

What I was going to do was to cut down on the size of the dinner portion knowing that I would be eating again a few hours later, maybe have a light snack at my usual dinner time, run then have a proper meal after.

You could make dinner, eat a bit, run, shower then eat the rest.

Or make dinner smaller, run, shower, make scrambled eggs or small omelette (5 minute job)

I don't know your home life situation, but we've 8 month old twins and i'd often go for a run when they are down at 7.30 (having eaten nothing since lunch), be back by 8.15, shower, make dinner and be eating by 9. Maybe you've older kids dinners to worry about though.

So many options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You could always eat half your dinner pre run and the other half after the run.

You could make dinner, eat a bit, run, shower then eat the rest.

Or make dinner smaller, run, shower, make scrambled eggs or small omelette (5 minute job)

I don't know your home life situation, but we've 8 month old twins and i'd often go for a run when they are down at 7.30 (having eaten nothing since lunch), be back by 8.15, shower, make dinner and be eating by 9. Maybe you've older kids dinners to worry about though.

So many options.

If I didn't eat from lunch (usually 1.30ish) until 7.30 i'd probably die. No way could I find the energy to run. Although if you have 8month old twins and have the energy to run fair play to you.

You could always eat half your dinner pre run and the other half after the run.

That's not a bad idea at all

If I didn't eat from lunch (usually 1.30ish) until 7.30 i'd probably die. No way could I find the energy to run. Although if you have 8month old twins and have the energy to run fair play to you.

It's not that long really if you've a good filling lunch. Nuts at 3/5 is an option though or a full fat greek style yogurt.

It's not that long really if you've a good filling lunch. Nuts at 3/5 is an option though or a full fat greek style yogurt.

Was just thinking a snack of some description around 4 should keep me going that way I could get a run in and then have dinner.

• Advertisement

A Greek yoghurt (not Greek style) should keep you going for a few hours. I find it very hard to get a full fat one but liberte 0% fat seems to be widely available now. It's the high protein content which will keep you full.

A Greek yoghurt (not Greek style) should keep you going for a few hours. I find it very hard to get a full fat one but liberte 0% fat seems to be widely available now. It's the high protein content which will keep you full.

I'd have these, fat will keep you satiated also. Though the fage o% fat one is the business too. I just like fat in mine - I find it more filling and less watery texture when eating.

Cottage cheese is an option also. Or as mentioned nuts. Plenty of options really that are less sugar, more protein and more fat than special K - i.e. will keep you fuller for longer.

I agree on the full fat but for some reason it's very difficult to get full fat or any fat Greek yoghurt. From what I see the Greek style has a lot more additives.

Advertisement