Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flaxseed

• 16-06-2014 7:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

My Doctor told me to start eating Linseed/Flaxseed to add some Fibre to my diet.
    I was wondering how much of it I should be taking to notice a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ask your doctor. Also there's usually a guideline on the packet. You want to be getting in about 30g of fibre a day. This will be from all of your food sources though not just the flaxseeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,681 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't have it everyday but would grind 2ish tablespoons into oatmeal or pancake mix. Look at the rest of your diet if not eating plenty of veg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No I'm not good for eating fruit&veg.
    I looked at the pack and it says 2 dessert spoons equal 8.5g Fibre so you really do need other sources in addition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

apples are decent for it, pears too..and prunes/dried plums

i throw 25g of coconut flour into 50g oatbran for lunch so that's 9g fiber + 8g in the oatbran. has the consistency of redy break, is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

And remember you need to drink lots of water to make fibre work its magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I use the milled linseeds from Aldi, a nice texture. I also buy packets of sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in Aldi, grind them up using a stick blender, and store in a Kilner jar. When baking I throw in a handful of this seed mix, you would hardly notice it in a cake. The seeds are nice added to ice cream. Like others have said, lots of water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

apples are decent for it, pears too..and prunes/dried plums

i throw 25g of coconut flour into 50g oatbran for lunch so that's 9g fiber + 8g in the oatbran. has the consistency of redy break, is lovely.

Sir Digby, where can I source coconut flour around Carlow? I want to try it out for gluten free baking. Thanks.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

madmaggie wrote: »
    Sir Digby, where can I source coconut flour around Carlow? I want to try it out for gluten free baking. Thanks.:D

i got it in the health food shop in the superquinn shopping centre.dear enough but was actually cheaper than amazon so i wasn't terribly put out

http://low-carb-support.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/coconut-flour.jpg

this is the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Being Coeliac I was advised by the nutritionist to ensure I had a good diet, which I do, lots of fruit and veg, fish, and some red meat for iron. However due to not eating normal breads I can go short on fibre. I manage to balance it out with gluten free oats cooked in half milk, half water, adding 2-3 heaped teaspoons of milled seeds plus a teaspoon or two of sesame seeds and then a dollop of honey as I have a sweet tooth. I think this is an pretty good diet for me but if any experts can see a problem with it do please let me know.

Advertisement