Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Griling to reduce cholesterol

• 10-06-2014 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Has anyone grilled as a means of reducing cholesterol and does it help? And is a George Foreman grill worth buying to reduce fat intake?

If anyone has any experience with either above or an air frying one it would be appreciated. Close friend has high cholesterol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No need to reduce fat intake, just replace processed foods with more natural ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

No need to reduce fat intake, just replace processed foods with more natural ones.
    that is wrong according to doctor.

If anyone has any experience with grilling/airfrying/george foreman grill to reduce fat I would appreciate it

GoodLord wrote: »
    that is wrong according to doctor

Doctors are not experts in diet and are often years behind on research.

Grilling will obviously reduce fat. That doest equate to reducing cholesterol though.

edit: best way to reduce fat is to not eat it in the first place.

Doctors are not experts in diet and are often years behind on research.

Grilling will obviously reduce fat. That doest equate to reducing cholesterol though.

edit: best way to reduce fat is to not eat it in the first place.
    i would say doctors are more expert than you so i will be ignoring any further response as you seem to being smart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Best way to reduce fat is not eat it at all ffs give us a break, if you want to eat grass all your life carry on, i imagine the op likes an ol sausage, a bit of bacon or a nice juicey chop every now and then, op i would think that grilling would certainly be more healthy then frying and is bound to reduce colestetol if you cut out fried foods altogether, i use a george foreman and the amount of grease and fat that drips off the food can only be better for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sure why not just go to the GP and get the tablet to reduce cholesterol ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

that is wrong according to doctor.

If anyone has any experience with grilling/airfrying/george foreman grill to reduce fat I would appreciate it

Have you never grilled anything? Pro tip. The fat drips off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The fat that comes out of meat when you cook with a George Foreman is less of an issue than the oil a lot of people use to fry with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i would say doctors are more expert than you so i will be ignoring any further response as you seem to being smart

in fairness there is truth in it. If you want to reduce the bad cholesterol cut down on sugar and wheat products, use good quality meat and if using a pan use a good quality coconut oil and not the nasty cheaper veg oils. eat plenty of veg especially green veg. pinning your hopes on a grill seems the wrong way to go

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Do yourself a favor... Google the 3 types of cholesterol
    Figure out what causes each and which ones are good/bad...

At least then you can ask your doctor the right advice/questions...

• Advertisement

I'm not being smart, fat in general isn't bad for you and doesn't cause high cholesterol. Old research from the 70s that said fat = bad has been debunked. We've seen posters in here a fair bit who have received very outdated advice from their doctors.

Eating good quality food rather than crap processed stuff will be of far greater help to your friend, as i said in my first response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Heres 3 easy ways to reduce cholesterol:

1. Exercise often
    2. eat less
    3. drink plenty water
    Oh and I nearly forgot ........Porridge every morning:)

reducing fat isn't going to reduce cholesterol and it's not bad for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

bluewolf wrote: »
    reducing fat isn't going to reduce cholesterol and it's not bad for you

@runawaybishop is talking a lot of sense.

Your gp is basically spinning the yarn that increased fat in particular saturated fat increases cholesterol and thereby increases CVD.

It's a complicated subject, but you might ask GP to explain how his hypothesis fits the following facts for starters, there are many more examples
    *Ukraine has highest levels of CVD in Europe and among lowest saturated fat intake
    * France and Switzerland have lowest levels CVD and highest intake of saturated fat
    * Aboriginal men have among highest rates of CVD in the world and a Total cholesterol level on average under 5

Also cholesterol is a very specific molecule, there is just one type. There is no good and bad. It is insoluble and carried in blood by lipoproteins which also deliver other particles around the blood.

Your body makes about 85% of the cholesterol in your body; it everywhere.
    It is in every cell in your body.

Search pubmed or cochrane institue for peer reviewed studies, data if you don't believe anything I've posted here

ford2600 wrote: »
    @runawaybishop is talking a lot of sense.

Your gp is basically spinning the yarn that increased fat in particular saturated fat increases cholesterol and thereby increases CVD.

It's a complicated subject, but you might ask GP to explain how his hypothesis fits the following facts for starters, there are many more examples
    *Ukraine has highest levels of CVD in Europe and among lowest saturated fat intake
    * France and Switzerland have lowest levels CVD and highest intake of saturated fat
    * Aboriginal men have among highest rates of CVD in the world and a Total cholesterol level on average under 5

Also cholesterol is a very specific molecule, there is just one type. There is no good and bad. It is insoluble and carried in blood by lipoproteins which also deliver other particles around the blood.

Your body makes about 85% of the cholesterol in your body; it everywhere.
    It is in every cell in your body.

Search pubmed or cochrane institue for peer reviewed studies, data if you don't believe anything I've posted here
    there are hdl's and ldl's. anything you said and on pub med will be contradicted somewhere else
    that is interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

there are hdl's and ldl's. anything you said and on pub med will be contradicted somewhere else
    that is interesting

Hdl and ldl are just lipoproteins.

Pubmed is just a data base of research papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You can't just go with what a doctor says. They only know what's scientifically proven. Everything that exists in the universe existed before it was proven to exist as do hdls and ldls. Ignore at your peril.
    The OP should educate herself a bit more about food, grilling meat is better for your health Deffo. My 91 year old grandmother is off on holidays to a South Africa next week and swears by a diet of grilled meats, spuds and cabbage. I think in our society we eat too much meat in general so you should cut down as well as grilling.
    prawns and eggs are low in fat but high in protein and high in cholesterol but you don't stop eating them cos of the cholesterol, rather you make sure you also eat something low in cholesterol the next day etc......I believe they call it.. (drum roll)...A balanced diet!
    OP by all means tell your friend grilling meat is better but don't allow them to be deluded into thinking they can solve their dietary issues by grilling instead of frying, they may need to go through the pain of weaning themselves of the heart disease/cancer diet and onto the traditional lots of vegetables/bikini body diet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Has anyone grilled as a means of reducing cholesterol and does it help? And is a George Foreman grill worth buying to reduce fat intake?

If anyone has any experience with either above or an air frying one it would be appreciated. Close friend has high cholesterol

Did the doctor tell your friend that high cholesterol is the best marker for heart disease? My Total Cholesterol is 7.5. However more importantly my TC/HDL is 3.68 ( want it below 4.5 ) and TG/HDL is 0.58 (want it below 2 ). I don't smoke and I am very active. Overall my GP is happy and so am I. Now for a nice big T bone steak fried in cocunut oil, dose of fresh veg and a few new potatoes. Cup of tea and a nice bit of dark chocolate to follow - keeps the heart happy. :pac:

Squiggle wrote: »
    Did the doctor tell your friend that high cholesterol is the best marker for heart disease? My Total Cholesterol is 7.5. However more importantly my TC/HDL is 3.68 ( want it below 4.5 ) and TG/HDL is 0.58 (want it below 2 ). I don't smoke and I am very active. Overall my GP is happy and so am I. Now for a nice big T bone steak fried in cocunut oil, dose of fresh veg and a few new potatoes. Cup of tea and a nice bit of dark chocolate to follow - keeps the heart happy. :pac:
    your doctor is happy at 7.5
    Did the doctor tell your friend that high cholesterol is the best marker for heart disease
    he was talking more of stroke/heart attack. Doc has a computer program which can take age/cholesterol/blood pressure i think and predict chances of stroke in next ten years. Hearing this second hand not completely sure

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭oscar_mike

Cholesterol in food has little to do with cholesterol in blood..... you need to look at what you eat before deciding how to cook it.

Bottom line... cut down on processed food and your "High cholesterol" wont be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

And is a George Foreman grill worth buying to reduce fat intake?

I agree with pretty much eveything else said here regarding fat intake.

I can advise on this however - why not just use an ordinary grill ?
    Every bit as much fat will come out, and it is infinitely more controllable than a George Formby grill. All that does is collect the fat in a manner you can see it - nothing different to your common garden variety grill !

Advertisement