Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths and Theoretical Physics Course Thread TR031 TR035

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Frolovs already teaching 3 modules so I don't think it will be him. There are 3 new lecturers so it could be one of them? Although there's still nobody down for teaching first year mechanics or PNS...

For second years, beware that Zaitsev expects a lot more on his schols exam than his course might suggest.

@Maybe_Memories thanks ^^

I'm doing Statistics instead of Mechanics in 2nd year, but thanks @sponsoredwalked

Is there any recommended reading to cover all the stuff Zaitsev will expect on the schols paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

sganyfx wrote: »
    @Maybe_Memories thanks ^^

I'm doing Statistics instead of Mechanics in 2nd year, but thanks @sponsoredwalked

Is there any recommended reading to cover all the stuff Zaitsev will expect on the schols paper?

The stuff in class will probably be at the level of the book by Churchill, so use that as a basis and supplement with the book by Bruce Palka which is basically what he uses for the sophister complex analysis course.

As an aside, he seems to be a very generous marker; in the sophister course for the first half I only felt like I did well enough to get 60-70% but ended up with 87%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

The stuff in class will probably be at the level of the book by Churchill, so use that as a basis and supplement with the book by Bruce Palka which is basically what he uses for the sophister complex analysis course.

As an aside, he seems to be a very generous marker; in the sophister course for the first half I only felt like I did well enough to get 60-70% but ended up with 87%.

He's quite generous for the end of year exam but is is very harsh for schols. People who thought the paper went okay on the day ended up getting in the 20's in his part of the exam.

He doesn't use a particular textbook and recommends quite a few, so you might just have to trawl through several to find an appropriate treatment of a topic. In particular, I never really found a good resource for understanding branches.

I never really found a good resource for understanding branches.

I don't think anyone ever has. He's also stopped including them in the sophister course so it's possible they wont be in the freshman one too. They're kind of pointless anyway in the large scope of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I have no advice for studying Zaitsevs material, but if you do find yourself completely lost in his lectures (I did) a fun game to play is: where will he write next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

I have Zaitsev's sophister complex analysis course LaTeXed. Maybe if there is some overlap with the senior freshman course it could be of some use to people.

Although his blackboard presentation is a little haphazard, I always liked the emphasis he places on understanding the material; unlike other lecturers he doesn't expect you to regurgitate long proofs in his exams.

Prof. Andrei Parnachev is teaching GR apparently.

Nice timetable but whats with all the QFT lectures being in one giant three hour block?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Samson likes to get it all over with in one day. It's actually fine. I enjoyed Samson's lectures and he'll give you breaks every hour. Sometimes, he'll finish early if he doesn't want to start anything new or if his back hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Fringe wrote: »
    Samson likes to get it all over with in one day. It's actually fine. I enjoyed Samson's lectures and he'll give you breaks every hour. Sometimes, he'll finish early if he doesn't want to start anything new or if his back hurts.

I'd say everyone's back will be hurting with those new lecture theatres wha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Everything starts next week right? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Has anyone here avoided going to Simms' lectures? If so, how did you give in/get back homework?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Striklin

Has anyone here avoided going to Simms' lectures? If so, how did you give in/get back homework?

Simms doesn't set homework for MA2321 or MA2322, at least not last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Striklin wrote: »
    Simms doesn't set homework for MA2321 or MA2322, at least not last year.

What about these exercises?

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~simms/MA2321.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Striklin

What about these exercises?

Sorry, I should have said Simms doesn't collect/mark/give back any homework. He usually hands out exercises for you to do yourself, then goes through solutions in class a week later.

I'd forgotten how great Frolov's classes are.

Frolov: "This is clear?!"
    Class: *blank stares*
    Frolov: "Good!"

The differential geometry exam is going to be just lovely. Really, really hope he gives a sample paper.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~frolovs/DifGeom/DG_I_questions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Anyone got any Schols advice for Sergey? Metric Spaces and Rings, Fields Modules specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

sganyfx wrote: »
    Anyone got any Schols advice for Sergey? Metric Spaces and Rings, Fields Modules specifically?

First of all you need to understand the homeworks inside out. Last year anyway they were all pretty tough. He doesn't explain things in tutorials if no one asks so always push him to answer ones you didn't get. And for anything else try posting on maths.stackexchange.com , people or always really helpful with explanations there.

Use his notes religiously (there were some odd mistakes though, be careful). Last year he specifically said that he wouldn't ask any of the proofs he covered in class. But realistically you need to understand each one, go through each line and make sure you get the steps. The notes were enough for Metrics but 'Abstract Algebra' was quite good for Fields.

Above and beyond this you need to look at as many problems as you can. Try looking at notes for similar courses and look at worked solutions. Go at a slower pace where you feel you are understanding 90% of the content rather than racing through trying to cover everything 5 times.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcull

Hey guys! Humble sixth year here, Econ/Maths TSM is numero uno on the CAO and I can't even express how much I'm looking forward to it. One question though! I'm pretty good at maths, I absolutely love it (happily while away the hours doing problems) and would be pretty much an A student at leaving cert. I came here to do some research and now from what I have read on this thread I'm suddenly terrified about the difficulty of it, are you all geniuses? (modesty nonwithstanding!) Will I fail, hate it because I'm terrible and flunk out in first year? Thanks and sorry for interrupting the much more important actual maths questions discussion!

• Advertisement

kcull wrote: »
    Hey guys! Humble sixth year here, Econ/Maths TSM is numero uno on the CAO and I can't even express how much I'm looking forward to it. One question though! I'm pretty good at maths, I absolutely love it (happily while away the hours doing problems) and would be pretty much an A student at leaving cert. I came here to do some research and now from what I have read on this thread I'm suddenly terrified about the difficulty of it, are you all geniuses? (modesty nonwithstanding!) Will I fail, hate it because I'm terrible and flunk out in first year? Thanks and sorry for interrupting the much more important actual maths questions discussion!

You should come to the open day for 6'th years on Saturday in tcd and find out for yourself :D (You may have to book a place, idk, should be easy to do). I'm a bit of an idiot but luckily intelligence is nowhere near as important as craziness and passion, it's 90% perspiration after all ;)

kcull wrote: »

All of us geniuses? Absolutely not.

You could absolutely love LC maths but that doesn't really mean a thing when you get to this level. The style and way things are taught are very different. Some classes are taught in a very LC style and others aren't. You might find that you only love one or two of your classes, are indifferent to others, and hate one or two. If you hate all of them though it might be time to think about doing something else.

I'm in 4th year and the only class I actually love and could spend hours doing problems on is Quantum Field Theory. I like Algebraic Topology and PDEs, indifferent to Differential Geometry and don't like Functional Analysis.

Just roll with it. If you enjoy maths like you say then give it a shot.

Dirac Brackets in Weinberg 7.6! :cool:

Dirac Brackets in Weinberg 7.6! :cool:

I've never looked at Weinberg actually. Just took a flick through there. Seems nice. Seems to be presented in an odd way though.

Are you in 4th year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sleepwalking

Perhaps there's a chance to resurrect this topic to get some more fantastic replies.

-SW

Advertisement