Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Defender thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The 200tdi was a revelation after years of noisy underpowered diesels, up to that point if you needed power the only option was the V8 petrol and only utilities and the military could afford the fuel!!

Call in to your local DOE place and check, may be fine but with everything computerised these days you may have to get it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

got my 110 back :D shes running beautifully after a full engine swap, power steering, radio+speakers and a few other little bits and bobs.

im still not sure whether the fuel gauge is working though, was near the red 2 days ago so i put 20 diesel into her and she moved up a small bit to just over 1/4, and since hasnt really moved down :confused: is the tank massive in a defender so that 20 would do little on the gauge? should still have moved down with a little bit of use right :confused:

have to get her doed and taxed now, will i have big issues with doe because of the engine change?
    Wellware hope its lucky for you now.
    As Sean said keep her with plenty of diesel in the tank. I am getting 33 mpg at the moment and I can hardly believe it . (54 miles each day 0f bad b roads where 60 mph is not on) I am used of 28 mpg unless I bring her up to 70,80 or even 90 mph , that can bring it down to 24 mpg and cause deafness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah i dont tend to go over 50/60 with her so im probably getting decent mpg, shes still running on the 20 from thursday anyway, will it do bad damage if she runs out? Im trying to see if my gauge will go down or if il just run out.

fecking radio aint working :( constantly losing power for some reason, just constant on/off, twill be going back to get fixed as i payed a fair bit for it

Won't do damage if it runs out, just don't do it regularly! The system should clear any air without bleeding unlike earlier diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

http://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/1988-landrover-90-turbo/8049655

Just looking for opinions folks.

I want one for my daily driver. It won't be doing any big 4x4ing for a while anyway, but I've always wanted one and this may be exactly what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

It's a Turbo D with the old 19J engine, probably on it's last legs at that mileage which could be why it's priced so low.

It does look clean and straight but it is very suspiciously cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

hi guys, another newbie question. I want to change the fluids in my defender td5, where do ye all get yours and what exactly do ye recommend, I want to replace:
    1 coolant. manual says 13litres glycol based with "oat???"
    2 Gearbox oil 2.38 litres of Texaco mtf 94
    3 transfer box 2.3litres of Texaco multigear 75w/90r API GL5

the previous owner, a mate of mine "moffett" on this thread has replaced the diff oil and engine oil recently and said it came out like brown water, previous to moffett I don't think the van was shown much love, I want to start from where I know I know things are good.

I am still on the lookout for a defender stereo if anyone has one from a truck that is for breaking give us a shout.

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

101sean wrote: »
    It's a Turbo D with the old 19J engine, probably on it's last legs at that mileage which could be why it's priced so low.

It does look clean and straight but it is very suspiciously cheap.

I hear ya, too good to be true and all that.

If it's near where you are it could be worth a look, they may have no idea of what they are worth. If chassis and bulkhead were sound and it drives ok it could be a good starter if you wanted something to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

hi guys, new day, new minor issue, my td5 when I bought it had no interior bulb in the cabin so I checked with a meter and noticed I get 12v with it switched on. I put a bulb in and it works in the on position but woun't come on when left in the central position (between on/off) which I assume would be for the doors. however, when I open either door it never comes on? I don't see any door switches either to activate it, do some defenders not have this feature?

• Advertisement

Utility or third world spec ones often don't have door switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ghostmountain

so i went and bought the defender that was offered to me, and went on the hunt for parts.
    got most of what i wanted for her at a local breakers and got it on the road last week. only problem im finding is the drive comfort. should i be looking at changing the springs? or is this just the way the defenders are? its only being used as secondary transport for myself, and herself can use the car without it getting covered in ****e, but im finding it fairly rough. any tips

Moved your latest post to here, may get more answers.

Is it a 90 or 110 you have and how does it sit, has the suspension been messed with at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ghostmountain

Moved your latest post to here, may get more answers.

Is it a 90 or 110 you have and how does it sit, has the suspension been messed with at all?

110, and i dont think it has.

On standard suspension it shouldn't be rough although it could have heavy duty suspension. Is it just a hard ride or is handling iffy with clonks and knocks?

If you want to keep it standard, original springs and shocks are fine, the old ones do get tired. Replacing all the suspension bushes can make a big difference but it's hard work.

You can fit aftermarket springs but these often give a lift as well, I have Bearmach blues on mine which gave a 40mm lift and the rears are quite hard which I may replace with something softer.

1 coolant. manual says 13litres glycol based with "oat???"
    2 Gearbox oil 2.38 litres of Texaco mtf 94
    3 transfer box 2.3litres of Texaco multigear 75w/90r API GL5

Rob, I thought I'd posted a reply to this but it seems not! :o

1 It takes expensive long life pink OAT coolant, doesn't mix with the cheaper blue/green glycol.

2 MTF94 can be hard to find, probably easiest to order from one of the parts places when you're buying filters or parts. It's also expensive. Earlier boxes used ATF but the MTF gives a better gearchange.

3 75W90 is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MOB993

Hi folks, I want to know what weight of trailer I am entitled to tow behind my 110 on a B licence. I've read the information on the rsa site and it seems to say that i can only tow a 750kg trailer. Another site gave examples and said that Passat could tow (almost)1500kg yet a Land cruiser could only tow 750kg due to 3500kg minus the weight of the vehicle or something.
    My 110 weighs 1800kg so can some one please explain what i can tow?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

the previous owner, a mate of mine "moffett" on this thread has replaced the diff oil and engine oil recently and said it came out like brown water, previous to moffett I don't think the van was shown much love, I want to start from where I know I know things are good.
    The diff oil did not have the consistency of water!!...just was a brown rusty colour, but I assure you all it was oil. I have read others have seen similar. I only changed the diff oil as I broke a shaft in the diff and had to take all out. I replaced all the seals, shafts and drive flanges. The oil was supplied by Crozier along with most of the parts. It never used any engine oil and it was also spec'd/supplied by Crozier when I serviced it myself. The truck is a TD5EU poverty spec. Engine oil was replaced every 5k. Coolant was never flushed by myself, but garage said it was fine at first service ( he can test this ). The swivel oil was replaced with one shot grease etc. The truck is like CIE. Lots done but more to do. That said I miss it greatly, I drove it daily for 2 years. I am looking for a 110TD5 CSW if anyone knows of one at circa 12k. Prices are still crazy on donedeal, but 12k is realistic. My advice tot he lad with the harsh suspension would be, see if you can get a spin in a similar one? It's hard to know without anything to compare yours with.

You can tow any trailer up to 750kg on your car licence if the tow vehicle is rated for it (why some small cars can't legally be fitted with towbars)

You can also tow a bigger trailer provided the combination of tow vehicle and trailer doesn't exceed 3500kg, it comes within the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of the vehicle and the trailer doesn't exceed the weight of the towing vehicle.

If your Defender weighs 1800kg you can tow a 1700kg trailer, as the 3500kg limit on your licence is a lot less than the MAM of a Defender and it also weighs less than the Defender. BUT the trailer must only have a MAM of 1700kg, if you hang a tri axle Ifor Williams off the back with only a couple of bales on it you are breaking the law as the trailer has a MAM of 3500kg

Anything more any you need a trailer licence. Defenders can tow 3500kg (4000kg if trailer is power braked but I've never seen one)

A few lads I know haven't bothered with the BE licence and have gone for a C1E

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

Rear seat for a series 3 109
    What's the best options for carrying kids the forward facing ones from exmore are to much money side facing with lapbelts is what I'm thinking of but is there a rear facing option like disco jump seats up against the bullhead .Its a 1974 so leagly I'm OK either way but any thoughts welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

Kieron854 wrote: »
    Rear seat for a series 3 109
    What's the best options for carrying kids the forward facing ones from exmore are to much money side facing with lapbelts is what I'm thinking of but is there a rear facing option like disco jump seats up against the bullhead .Its a 1974 so leagly I'm OK either way but any thoughts welcome

i have side facing seats in the back of mine but no lap belts fitted, imho side facing seats and lap belts can do as much damage or more in a accident as without one the only difference being the person wont be thrown about the interior. if i ever fit any belts to my bench seats i would fit full harnesses of the racing type rather than fit lap belts. i did think about fitting rear facing seats against the bulkhead but you would probably have to modify something exsisting to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Hi all. I have replaced the freestyle alloys and front seats in my defender 110 and now someone wants to buy them but I have no idea what to ask for them. Any ideas what a fair price would be for 5 freestyle alloys in perfect condition and 2 front seats in fairly good condition, no rips or tears?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Hi all. I have replaced the freestyle alloys and front seats in my defender 110 and now someone wants to buy them but I have no idea what to ask for them. Any ideas what a fair price would be for 5 freestyle alloys in perfect condition and 2 front seats in fairly good condition, no rips or tears?

PM Sent

I'm about to buy a new rad on line for my TD5 , the prices vary from approx.
    100 delivered [britpart] - 260 delivered [genuine]
    I think Ill save myself 160 euro and get the cheap one or is there a good reason not to ?
    Thanks for any advice and Happy new year.

I got mine from Paddocks and it was a Bearmach one, fitted fine. Change the thermostat while the rad is out as it's really accessible then, obviously clean the intercooler while you're at it. Have a set of small long nosed mole grips handy for the spring hose clips if you haven't the proper tool.

Don't buy Britpart hoses as they don't fit well (there's a surprise!) and make sure you clip all the hoses back inplace properly or the crankshaft pulley will wear through the bottom hose :o

Thanks for that and the tip about the thermostat, I hadn't intended to replace it but I may as well when I'm that far in.

It's a in-line plastic yoke with two branches, bit of bugger to get to otherwise.

It's a in-line plastic yoke with two branches, bit of bugger to get to otherwise.

I know replaced it 5 years ago, alien heart kind of yoke .
    165 delivered for both from Paddocks , should cost me another 35 for coolant I suppose.
    Back to work Monday hope to God its not a case of parts arrive but either work at night or take time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Hi-the propshaft on my td5 110 broke away from the rear UJ last week. I could hear/feel it loosening for a few mins driving but luckily she only came off outside my own house! Is there any chance this could be a diy fix (complete novice) or should I hand it to the mechanic again. Already spent 600 on replacing rear brake calipers so still a bit sore over that...any advice welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Hi-the propshaft on my td5 110 broke away from the rear UJ last week. I could hear/feel it loosening for a few mins driving but luckily she only came off outside my own house! Is there any chance this could be a diy fix (complete novice) or should I hand it to the mechanic again. Already spent 600 on replacing rear brake calipers so still a bit sore over that...any advice welcome!

Advertisement