Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Landrover Discovery Td5 Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Timing belt or chain in the td5?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Timing chain in td5 engine

Any ideas as to where would be the cheapest place to buy a set of wheel arches for a discoII..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Hello all, I've just bought an 01 td5 es, - had one previously, which I regretted selling, and am familiar with some of the problems they can give.
    My question relates to diagnostic devices, - what works on these td5s, where do I buy, and how much?
    I'm based part in Kerry and part in Dublin, and I even recognise the name of one of the td5 gurus mentioned in this thread from seven or eight years ago when I had one.
    I remember being utterly robbed for diagnostics in Cork then and as I expect a few bits of trouble with this one, I'd prefer to buy my own plug in device now rather than after spending hundreds on crappy main dealer service.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Nanocom I think I,v spelled that right or Hawkeye.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheBrack

Hi Landrover owners,

My last post as the TD5 DiscoII is now in a new home. We needed to get rid of it as we needed a car for commuting - not to worry, my wife gave me back my 2.2 Accord so it's like getting promoted to a rocket! On the other side I now have a less than 2yr old Bearmarch HawkEye in perfect condition looking for a new home. I'll put it up on DoneDeal and eBay in a week if I dont hear from any one. - I am now living in west Cork but will post to where ever. No reasonable offer refused. PM me if you are interested.

All the best landy owners.

The Brack.

Pm sent.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

As per previous posts on this thread, I'm planning a facelift for my 01 disco td5. I've tried about 20 breakers for a pair of front lamps for an 03 or 04 model. No joy.
    Main dealer (Westmeath I think) wants 290 +vat each, and a northern dealer wants 232 sterling, again +vat, albeit at a different rate. Exact same ex vat price. Micks Garage don't do them, so I'm stumped.
    Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You're going to have to get them from UK probably, Paddocks list them at around £150 + vat each new without self levelling. I think you need more than headlamps though, Simmonites list a complete kit at around £750 plus vat.

Do a google on Discovery 2 headlamp upgrade and it brings up loads of threads on various forums.

• Advertisement

101sean wrote: »
    You're going to have to get them from UK probably, Paddocks list them at around £150 + vat each new without self levelling. I think you need more than headlamps though, Simmonites list a complete kit at around £750 plus vat.

Do a google on Discovery 2 headlamp upgrade and it brings up loads of threads on various forums.

Thanks Sean, oh and howdy btw. We spoke briefly here a couple of years ago (different handle then) on a different model landy I think. I've read most of those, yes there are some trim pieces and wiring accessories needed as well, but the damm lights are the worst bite. I'll check tomorrow.

I chat to so many on forums and at shows it gets embarrassing as I'm crap at remembering names!

I often order from Paddocks and Island 4x4, usually £10 postage and quick service, just had td5 dmf and clutch delivered within 2 days from Island 4x4. They'll knock vat off at source if you're registered.

If you want to keep it local, try Crozier 4x4 in Moate or Dave at Straffen LR Sevices

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TomTomM

Hi All...if anyone has a D2 Auto and finds it very "revvy" (like I did)...I got a replacement HD Torque Converter fitted and its a great mod. Makes the auto hold the gears much better. Its expensive though but the guys that sell them (Ashcroft Engineering) will give you a part refund for your old TC in part exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Hi Guys, having brought my 03 disco to a dealer to diagnose a problem with spluttering / jerking / however you want to describe it/ problem, they advised the the airflow was faulty and also the turbo wastegate was sticking. I have replaced the airflow and now need to lubricate the wastegate. This may sound like a stupid question, but where do I oil it?? I have attached a pic from the web and have drawn a red circle where I think it is, but need to confirm it. I assume I have to remove the heatshield??

Thanks in advance!!

That's the spot, don't think the heat shield needs to come off. Unclip the arm off the crank and work the crank back and forth to free it off. If it sticks shut the engine will cut out when it overboosts, stuck open it will be down on power.

Failing MAF usually shows up as it won't rev over 3000rpm and goes better if you unplug it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Thanks for that, I'll do it at the weekend. Next question......a white van man clipped my mirror yesterday and broke the glass, I assume it is a simple job to replace the glass???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Jon1145

Hi. If anyone is selling a nanocom or a Hawkeye for a discovery td5 give me a pm.
    Thanks, Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Where are you based?

I have a nanocom evo for Disco td5, not really used anymore as I have a D3 now. I am on the road around munster a lot, between Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry most weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

Looking for someone to read fault codes on 02 disco td5 north dublin area have the three amigos and gearbox overheating lights on all the time, disco drives fine.

Three amigos is probably shuttle switch failure but you're right to get the faults read first. Hope you find someone but if you end up paying try Straffan LR Services

I can't post links here but check out thed2boysclub forum,. They have a good shuttle valve mod and loads more useful stuff if you have a d2

• Advertisement

You're probably restricted until you've made more posts Jon. Looks like you need to be signed in to view that forum. I had a link to another article about the shuttle switch fix but it doesn't work any more.

The other thing that puts the lights on is a worn wheel bearing, puts the sensor out of range.

It's defo worth signing up to that forum, I recently bought a 99 TD5 and it's been a good help sorting out a few problems.

One check for the wheel sensors is to check the resistance across them it should be between 950-1100 ohms.

Hey, I'm looking for a nice tidy a-bar for the front of my 2003 discovery? Any ideas?

The steel abars are very hard find secondhand, if u do find one make sure it comes with the chassis brackets. The soft abars look well on the facelift d2's
    Kiltris wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for a nice tidy a-bar for the front of my 2003 discovery? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mf2909

Hi All,
    Had my Disco 2 Td5 in for the DOE this week, The chassis is rotten, I had to take it off the road and its in great cond besides. I had to weld a bit last year but in the year it has progressed so much. It was a good jeep and really gave me good service, It has 150k on it. I need a jeep and considering another disco but do all the td5's have the rust problem? even the facelfit ones? And if i look at disco 3s my mechanic tells me me they are giving untlold issues. electric handbrake seems to be a big one, any advice would be helpful. funds are not hectic at moment and this was unexpected...
    thanks

All D2 chassis rot badly at the rear end, you might find a newer ne that isn't so bad. If the rest of the vehicle is tidy you could put it on a new galvanised chassis, company in the UK are making them. Slightly dodgy territory here as the vehicle ID belongs to the chassis.

D3 does not give major issues, see the other ongoing thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

I'm just wondering what a 03 discovery commercial face lift model with 142,000 mls on it with doe till august and tax till janruary nxt yr be worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

ace86 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what a 03 discovery commercial face lift model with 142,000 mls on it with doe till august and tax till janruary nxt yr be worth.
    Impossible to answer without more info and a few pics .
    So here goes, tops 3500 for an immaculate example with a full Landrover service history.
    Don't take any less than 1000 unless its burnt to the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

O.A.P wrote: »
    Impossible to answer without more info and a few pics .
    So here goes, tops 3500 for an immaculate example with a full Landrover service history.
    Don't take any less than 1000 unless its burnt to the ground

Thanks O.A.P ah but she wouldn't be a pristine example with a service history, what type of info would u need? I try post photos some time if i get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

mf2909 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Had my Disco 2 Td5 in for the DOE this week, The chassis is rotten, I had to take it off the road and its in great cond besides. I had to weld a bit last year but in the year it has progressed so much. It was a good jeep and really gave me good service, It has 150k on it. I need a jeep and considering another disco but do all the td5's have the rust problem? even the facelfit ones? And if i look at disco 3s my mechanic tells me me they are giving untlold issues. electric handbrake seems to be a big one, any advice would be helpful. funds are not hectic at moment and this was unexpected...
    thanks

Alot of the problems with the D3 are due to lack of maintenance, hand break included. There is a good forum on-line - www.disco3.co.uk .

You should get any help you need there. Most of the talk in Ireland is Pub talk. The D3 is better than the D2, Landcruiser or really anything else.

You won't look back with the upgrade. Much higher towing weight than the landcruiser too @ 3500kg vs 2700 on the cruiser. Better off road aswell, plus more comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

Theanswers wrote: »
    Alot of the problems with the D3 are due to lack of maintenance, hand break included. There is a good forum on-line - www.disco3.co.uk .

You should get any help you need there. Most of the talk in Ireland is Pub talk. The D3 is better than the D2, Landcruiser or really anything else.

You won't look back with the upgrade. Much higher towing weight than the landcruiser too @ 3500kg vs 2700 on the cruiser. Better off road aswell, plus more comfortable.

+1 Disco 3 is one of the most comfortable drives I've ever had.

Also +1 on the maintenance comment. Far too many "Bad experiences"with Land Rovers are down to peoples lack of basic upkeep and regular maintenance. I think they are nearly a victim of their own image, seen as off road tough stuff and therefore not in need of the same maintenance levels as other 4x4's.

Advertisement