Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda college

Options
  • 07-02-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

ok so i have applied and done the first apptitude test. have had my heart set on the AGS since i was about 10 or 12.
    but what im looking to ask about is the acomodation situation for when you're actually in templemore. do you stay on campus? do you share with someone? whats the conditions like?
    and is it true theres an allowance paid to the college for your upkeep? is that separate from the training allowance of like €180?
    answers are much appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Each student has their own room. In the past when there was massive numbers there people actually stayed in lodgings with local people. The conditions are quite good with leisure facilities such as gym, swimming pool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

tis pure palatial lads!

Scouser wrote: »
    tis pure palatial lads!
    I believe that the morning maid service is outstanding

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,662 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

For extra bragging rights, on your first day when you are assigned your room, go and tell your Drill Instructor: "This room just isn't me. Is there something East-facing so the Feng Shui chi can flow into the room as soon as the run rises? Oh, and that bed... far too close to the door because it will block the incoming morning energy of the new day. And OHH.. those DRAPES!! Do they come in Azure?".

Shield wrote: »
    For extra bragging rights, on your first day when you are assigned your room, go and tell your Drill Instructor: "This room just isn't me. Is there something East-facing so the Feng Shui chi can flow into the room as soon as the run rises? Oh, and that bed... far too close to the door because it will block the incoming morning energy of the new day. And OHH.. those DRAPES!! Do they come in Azure?".

"Either that wallpaper goes or I go"

Can't remember who some ones last words

• Advertisement

'i dont do communal'

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shannonmc389

Aye ok so I take it I won't be the only one there with a sense of humour?
    Was thinkin it was gunna be hard if I had to settled into a strict way of life but if there's Craic to he had, I'll have no problem haha
    Must remember that bit about the wall paper though haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I believe that the morning maid service is outstanding

Only the Female Block has the morning Maid service. Male blocks have had a butler service since 1992 but only from 6am to 9am. Also, it is important to ensure your room has a minibar. Frequently it is moved/borrowed by the last occupant. If your room is missing a minibar, as a potential garda, it important to report this deficiency to College authorities immediately.

If your room is missing a minibar, as a potential garda, it important to report this deficiency to College authorities immediately.

i was told very early that 'a good garda never gets wet'

well he never goes dry either

remember to remind the college management of that law

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Melbs

I got a tour of templemore just after Xmas. There was trades people in there and cleaners getting it ready. It is a state of the art college. A lot of the buildings are new. 3 gyms swimming pool huge canteen and bar. The accommodation is grand. Your own room and there's a wash sink in there. I was told by the person that gave me the tour not to use the wash sink as it can be used as a toilet some times!! Also there is a communication room for training and driving school. Best of luck to all through the long process.

• Advertisement

Used as a toilet sometimes? Only when you can find it..... Having toilets at the ends of very long, cold halls was never the brightest idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pk10216

Just wondering is it mandatory to stay at the college accommodation or if you live within a half hour are you allowed to commute ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

pk10216 wrote: »
    Just wondering is it mandatory to stay at the college accommodation or if you live within a half hour are you allowed to commute ?

You have to stay in college, you can only go home at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shannonmc389

So from what I've gathered, it's a single room with a sink and bed with dodgy wallpaper and curtains and a block of toilets miles away from the rooms and the showers are communal? Aye a right wee holiday package we have on our hands here

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

So from what I've gathered, it's a single room with a sink and bed with dodgy wallpaper and curtains and a block of toilets miles away from the rooms and the showers are communal? Aye a right wee holiday package we have on our hands here

Sounds more like a prison cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What are the class hours? I'm guessing 9-5 or something? Long way off but really looking forward to it and hoping I make it all the way :)

theyre lovely little rooms

if youve ever spent time in the irish defence forces, youll agree that templemore is a palace in comparison to most military barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kaffy

Sounds like Corrib Village in Galway - they were like mini barracks in first yearof college - great craic tho :)

Have you spent much time in prison cells lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

You have to stay in college, you can only go home at weekends.

Unless you have a special dispensation. You can apply to live outside the college for certain reasons. Prob frowned apon tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Scouser wrote: »
    theyre lovely little rooms

if youve ever spent time in the irish defence forces, youll agree that templemore is a palace in comparison to most military barracks

RDF or PDF???

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

The old system was you had to be in the college before 10pm on Sunday night I think. Married or parents were compensated by being allowed come back Monday morning. Usually 9-5, bank holidays not included. Curfew each night too. I'd imagine it will be something similar this time around. Best of luck to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

RDF or PDF???

Same accom for both

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Same accom for both

sure is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

found these old pics from when I was there. just to give you an idea of what the rooms are like anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

audidiesel wrote: »
    found these old pics from when I was there. just to give you an idea of what the rooms are like anyways...

Great pics. Thanks for that.
    Bed looks comfy enough, I think !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

audidiesel wrote: »

In 2nd pic why is the window blacked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

Hmm. If I manage to get to templemore I will defo be asking for permission to live off campus!
    I'm just too old to live like that! Clearly the accommodation has been designed with school leaver age people in mind.
    Are there communal areas such as a sitting room or kitchen? Where do the students cook their dinner?!?
    The thoughts of communal bathrooms is making me gag. Even in regular college residences you usually have your own bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Its actually not bad at all. Had a few stints down there when I did the training for the reserves. A bathroom at either end of all corridors, with two showers and a few toilets. The only negative I can remember was that the pipe work was ferociously loud throughout the building. Once one fella was up and turned on his sink the rooms surrounding him were woken.

The accom is good though, communal canteen/kitchen, no need to be worried about it IMO.

• Advertisement

its a great set up and all you need for your time down there

stargazer - stop being a princess! wait till you see some of the stations round the country youll be working for 30years in :eek:

Advertisement