Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for Irish women to boycott mass on 26 September

Options
  • 11-08-2010 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"An 80-year-old woman is calling for all women in Ireland to boycott mass on 26 September.

Jennifer Sleeman wants to let the church authorities in the Vatican and in Ireland know that women are fed up with being, what she describes as, 'second class citizens' in the church.

Ms Sleeman, from Clonakilty in Cork, said women are very powerful and make up more than half of people who go to mass"

She could get excommunicated and burn in hell for this :eek:

Fair play to her for speaking out against this cult at that age.. :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0811/religion.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That's more like it..

Nice to see that generation doing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

"An 80-year-old woman is calling for all women in Ireland to boycott mass on 26 September.

Jennifer Sleeman wants to let the church authorities in the Vatican and in Ireland know that women are fed up with being, what she describes as, 'second class citizens' in the church.

Ms Sleeman, from Clonakilty in Cork, said women are very powerful and make up more than half of people who go to mass"

She could get excommunicated and burn in hell for this :eek:

Fair play to her for speaking out against this cult at that age.. :)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0811/religion.html

If there was a hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Its going be hard to boycott something ive never done, but I endevor to try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

fontanalis wrote: »
    If there was a hell.
    ...They'd name it after my ex-wife. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Go on ya good thing! At 80 years old the woman should still be allowed to speak her mind!
    I've been trying to boycott mass for years, but to no avail when I am at home only when I live away from home can do that without anyone knowing he he he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Don't be taken in by this - 'tis but a cunning ploy - Sleeman is a Jewish name.

(I may be talking out of my arse)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'll be on my way back from a weekend away that day, but i'll try my best not to stop off for mass on the way so. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Slow news day for RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

does anyone know an irish woman over the age of 50 who isn't very religious, cause i don't :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

"Yes you're dead right, make a stand! And while you're at it, make me a Sandwich."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This is all because the priests were showing favourtism to little boys isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

rossie1977 wrote: »
    does anyone know an irish woman over the age of 50 who isn't very religious, cause i don't :(

Never said this before... but...

My Ma.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

80 y/o? Getting on then. It'd be just her luck if 26/9 was the day/week she dies. Then she misses out on Heaven after an (up-to-then at least) exemplary attendance record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Yeah, what is it with women of a certain age being ultra religious......is it like a symptom of menopause?
    Oh noes! I never want to be fifty....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

So the Irish Times and RTE want people to boycott Mass. No surprise there.

And what is it with Cork people and strikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Never said this before... but...

My Ma.

:D

My Ma too!

But she never goes to mass so I don't see the point,if she doesn't show up it won't be any different than any other Sunday.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

considering the fact that a person who signed two victims of child abuse to silence is still working in the church and in the very least of the atrocities mentioned in the ryan report priests who urinated on children are still going unpunished both by the law of this country and cannon law then yes boycotting it wont be a problem. the problem will come if i ever meet a F*cker who tore the soul out of children already down on their luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes.

Seriously if catholic priests/nuns could marry and have kids think this whole escapade could be solved in the church! Not much of that kind of cac going on in england like where you have reverands and vicars etc.

• Advertisement

I know too many over the age of 50 who are far too religious for my likeing. It just bores me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I've been supporting her cause longer than it's been a cause

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Seriously if catholic priests/nuns could marry and have kids think this whole escapade could be solved in the church! Not much of that kind of cac going on in england like where you have reverands and vicors etc.

Actually studies have shown no difference in rates of abusers between the RCC and other denominations which do not practice celibacy. The fact that a child is most likely to be abused by a parent than anyone also belies the celibacy is to blame argument. The only church to release proper figures relating to abuse has been the Roman Catholic so it appears as if it presents a much larger issue there than say Rabbis, vicars etc. The prevalence of the RCC in Ireland distorts the real picture.

I don't get why old folks get into such a hype over religion its a clut for all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So what does that make the innocent head-f*cked (literally) children then? Women. Always trying to take someone else's thunder. For shame. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Pawpad666

I've been boycotting it for years but I'll make an extra special effort to avoid it that day. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yeah, really brave of her to call for this whilst the catholic church is at the height of its power.......

I would also like to call for a boycott on Dodo's

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't be taken in by this - 'tis but a cunning ploy - Sleeman is a Jewish name.
    She converted 58 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

amacachi wrote: »
    Slow news day for RTE?

If it makes it onto six one then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, really brave of her to call for this whilst the catholic church is at the height of its power.......

I would also like to call for a boycott on Dodo's

is the roman catholic church at the height of its power?

spanish empire 1300 - they ruled the known world together with spain

led to ireland being colonised just in case we became a headache for the protestant UK

today most people in the english speaking world are not catholic...

most powerful politicians are not Catholic
    the top men in china, russia, usa, etc etc

( are you ronan mullen?):pac:

Advertisement