Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is donating money to charities that operate in Africa a waste of time?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

mega man wrote: »
    donating money to africa is a complete waste. by the time it gets there most of it is taken anyway.
    if the people cant help themselves they shouldnt receive help from us. africa is a strain on the rest of the world.

Lets assume for a minute you arent trolling. Can you back up your claim?

"by the time it gets there most of it is taken anyway."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I doubt this "barriers to trade" idea that the west is stopping the mighty industries and agricultures of Africa from exporting.

I saw some large sugar estates (worked in them) that were profitable in the 1920s and not competitive now. Cash crops like tobacco in Zimbabwe were probably hampered by Mugabe confiscating white owned farms - I just don't know.

An anti-white bias after independance (most countries got independance around 1964) was not helpful to large scale agriculture. Politicians promised large houses and cars for everyone, and that was never going to be true. Confiscating businesses and land just resulted in nothingness.

Many African countries are "land locked" (far from the sea), do not have much arable land (Zimbabwe an exception, parts of Mozambique), few rivers (big but separated by hundreds of miles of dry land). Extractive industries are the only real money earners.

You need stable political and business climates for confidence. Without confidence no one invests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

faceman wrote: »
    Lets assume for a minute you arent trolling. Can you back up your claim?

"by the time it gets there most of it is taken anyway."

anyone in the charity business will tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

if the people cant help themselves they shouldnt receive help from us. africa is a strain on the rest of the world.

Watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

TheZohan wrote: »
    Watch it.

oh sorry..i thought this was stormfront lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

oh sorry..i thought this was stormfront lol

You're very mistaken there.

I send a small amount each month to a home for elderly in northern Argentina run by an Irish priest.

I knew someone who is in a very high position with a major Irish charity. Not a nice person. I won't contribute to them. Very little evidence in Africa of charity help. I've been in Kenya, Malawi, Zaire, Zambia, Mozambique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

How do we know our money isn't going straight to some dictator? We don't, and we shouldn't care. Africans tend to gravitate towards the likes of mugabe and gaddafi when left to their own devices. Let's cancel their debts, and then stop giving them money, and let them catch up naturally.

Why is the situation not improving? Because Africa is not a civilised continent and they spend every cent on machetes and other means of harming each other. (don't come fcuking near me with the "you're a racist" comments. I'm speaking based on what I've been told by a couple of friends who've done volunteer work, and subsequently decided it was a lost cause.)

Does it depend on the particular charity? Probably not. The sooner they stop paying chuggers to annoy us the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

genericguy wrote: »
    How do we know our money isn't going straight to some dictator? We don't, and we shouldn't care. Africans tend to gravitate towards the likes of mugabe and gaddafi when left to their own devices. Let's cancel their debts, and then stop giving them money, and let them catch up naturally.

Why is the situation not improving? Because Africa is not a civilised continent and they spend every cent on machetes and other means of harming each other. (don't come fcuking near me with the "you're a racist" comments. I'm speaking based on what I've been told by a couple of friends who've done volunteer work, and subsequently decided it was a lost cause.)

Does it depend on the particular charity? Probably not. The sooner they stop paying chuggers to annoy us the better.

Your "couple of friends" know the situation about the ENTIRE continent of Africa? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Your "couple of friends" know the situation about the ENTIRE continent of Africa? :rolleyes:

absolutely not, but by and large it appears to be the same - cyclical periods of slight development ---> civil unrest ---> genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

DubDani wrote: »
    There was a study done on 20 of the biggest european Charities, and the research showed that it was more or less only a money making scam.

On average only about 12-15% of the money collected went actually to a good cause. The rest was spent on Admin, Salaries, Advertising, Cost of collection etc. Some of the big well known charities were found to spend 90-95% of the money on Admin costs before any money goes to Africa.

So out of every 100 Euro collected in Europe in average only 12-15 Euro will arrive in Africa. And out of that 12-15 Euro only about 8 Euro will make it to the people who are really in need.

[citation needed]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

anyone in the charity business will tell you that.

:confused: Who are you getting this information from??? Do name and shame

kincsem wrote: »
    I send a small amount each month to a home for elderly in northern Argentina run by an Irish priest.

I knew someone who is in a very high position with a major Irish charity. Not a nice person. I won't contribute to them. Very little evidence in Africa of charity help. I've been in Kenya, Malawi, Zaire, Zambia, Mozambique.

I can only speak for East Africa. Goal and Concern have offices and bases in East Africa and quite a number of irish aid workers do trojan work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If there was a magic wand invented that would clear all debt in Africa how long would it take for them to get into debt again? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

genericguy wrote: »

So you and your two friends have decided it's a lost cause?
    Well, that's another catastrophic blow for the continent.
    Please don't abstain completely from the debate, though; sweeping generalisations are in short supply and always of great help.

orourkeda wrote: »
    If there was a magic wand invented that would clear all debt in Africa how long would it take for them to get into debt again? Just a thought.

You give them a grant of the amount of the debt they refuse to repay. This was happening with British debt before Bono and Geldof decided to save the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

kincsem wrote: »
    You give them a grant of the amount of the debt they refuse to repay. This was happening with British debt before Bono and Geldof decided to save the world.

Why give them a grant? Its not the only area of the world in debt.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why give them a grant? Its not the only area of the world in debt.
    You are not giving them anything extra. You gave them a loan and they would not repay. So you write it off and call it a grant. The Minister for Foreign Development gets a photo-opportunity and a holiday abroad for a grant giving ceremony. A nice trip in the government jet perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

I worked with a white african girl from Zimbabwe who along with her family was forced off her farm and had to move to Zambia. Shortly afterwards the Mugabe government began mining gold from their land.

I lol'd in her face. She didnt mind and a few weeks later we engaged in drunken coitious.

I cant remember if I gloved up and may now be the proud owner of an african/irish bastard child...or AIDs. Woe is me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I never understood why there is so much poverty in africa especially when you consider they are doing an awful lot to give it away

Dear Joey the lips.

Permit me to introduce myself to you as Mr.James Kofi Addo,a Ghanaian born in the Greater Accra Region of Ghana in Sept,1954.I am the Manager of Gateway Security & Finance Company.However I believe that you will be capable and trustworthy to handle this transaction after getting your contact information.Also I hope we can assist each other as we progress in this transaction.

I am writing you in regards of trunk box deposited in our company by Mr.Jeffrey Ripley,an American citizen; He was a well known successful businessman dealing on alluvial gold dust and bars;a philanthropist who was very influential during his life-time.

The company recently confirmed that Mr.Jeffrey died last year of a heart condition.Since then, the company has tried all they could to locate any of his relatives but to no avail.My main motive of writing you is to solicit your acceptance to stand as a relative of the deceased Mr.Jeffrey Ripley so that the funds can be released to you as his next of kin after i must have in-put your name in our record showing your relationship with the depositor.It might interest you to know that we are talking about USD$3,700,000.00 and if you accept to work with me in actualizing this transaction,the sharing ratio should be 50%-50%.I have discussed with a lawyer and all the vital documents that will give this transaction the needed legitimacy will be obtained from the High Court here.

NOTE:There are practically no risks involved in this transaction as i will be able to direct you at every given time on what to do and how.If you accept to go along with me,I will furnish you with the information with which to get in contact with the company requesting for the release of the funds to you after I must have in-put your info into our data as the next of kin to Mr.Jeffrey Ripley.

This is a secure arrangement and with my position here,everything will just work out perfectly.If you accept this offer,I will appreciate your timely response as soon as you receive this mail.
    You can also email me on this;jameskaddo@gmail.com

With Regards,
    Mr.James Kofi Addo

• Advertisement
Advertisement