Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hitting the gym: A waste of time or well worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Wow. Fair play to him...I guess... :confused:

there's a thread about it every-so-often in fitness, Bio Oil is supposed to work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

If I didn't go to the gym, I'd never work out and would still be horribly skinny and feeling bad about my terrible body. Joined a gym, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'm all for a bit ab ripping and gun pumping, once it's somebody else.

Personally, I couldnt be bothered because i'd rather eat pizza and curries, drink beer, watch tv and play online poker and other such activities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I couldn't think of a worse place to spend my free time.

its not free time, its working out time.

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'm all for a bit ab ripping and gun pumping, once it's somebody else.

Personally, I couldnt be bothered because i'd rather eat pizza and curries, drink beer, watch tv and play online poker and other such activities

What's to stop you doing all this and training aswell?

What's to stop you doing all this and training aswell?

I'm far too lazy, fat and unfit to even consider joining a gym.

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'm far too lazy, fat and unfit to even consider joining a gym.

thats like saying i'm far too sick to go to a doctor!!

Not going to the doctor when ill is irresponsible, lazy, stupid and probably even a little masochistic depending on the condition.

Not exercising is laziness. Pure and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I prefer the gym as jogging outdoors on the hard pavements is really bad for ones feet. Give me the treadmill any day over it. The only disadvantage of the gym is seeing all these fit people in there, all toned and beautiful. Makes one's self esteem drop a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dudess wrote: »
    Paging g'em and Dragan to this thread. That's g'em and Dragan. Thank you.
    These threads make me cry. I had a big serious reply typed out but then I remembered where I was posting... it's the ultimate exercise in futility.
    Speaking of which have you had your back seen to yet??? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I had a three-month education on "Why it is not necessary to go to the gym to get fit". It was called "Army Basic Training", and it was very painful. It was also very effective, I've never been that fit since. Not a weight ever to be seen, just a good series of exercises which could be done on your own.

NTM

g'em wrote: »

Speaking of which have you had your back seen to yet??? :pac:

\the irony wasn't lost on me!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I go to the gym 5 times a week. 3 days working out and 2 days floating around the pool,steam room, sauna and hot tub relaxing to the max. I run twice a week outside in the fresh air. I don't believe in treadmills.

I used to hate going but I've formed a habbit of going now and I feel really bad it I don't go.
    Also, I have mad trouble sleeping on days that I don't go to the gym because I still have loads of energy when I hit the hay and have no reason to sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Be carefull in the gym..as has already been said..your muscle will turn to fat overnight once you stop going..it happened a boy in england.

Degsy wrote: »
    Be carefull in t he gym..as ahs already been said..your muscle will turn to fat overnight once you stop going..lit happened a boy in england.

I think that was the friend i was talking about that took the protein steroid powder...

• Advertisement

I think that was the friend i was talking about that took the protein steroid powder...

Are you sure it wasnt creatine..i hear that stuff makes your balls fall off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I had a three-month education on "Why it is not necessary to go to the gym to get fit". It was called "Army Basic Training", and it was very painful. It was also very effective, I've never been that fit since. Not a weight ever to be seen, just a good series of exercises which could be done on your own.

NTM

Yes, however joining a gym usually doesn't carry with the condition that after three months you'll be sent to some godforsaken clusterfuck to the get shot at.

Are you sure it wasnt creatine..i hear that stuff makes your balls fall off

and gives you facial hair if you happen to be a lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I know someone who lifted so much weight that his heart exploded.

Keep away from the gym.

No harm in going to the gym and I try to go every now and again as I have a free membership but I would never let it get in the way of a night on the beer, watching a match or sleeping. Getting up early to go to the gym is beyond my understanding I cant get up in time to eat breakfast at home before work never mind go to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Most people (especially women) waste their time in the gym. They think pottering around doing a couple of repititions of extremely light weight, followed by a small bit of cardio is useful. It's not. :)

Doing things properly in the gym, combined with the correct diet, will give amazing results.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Most people (especially women) waste their time in the gym. They think pottering around doing a couple of repititions of extremely light weight, followed by a small bit of cardio is useful. It's not. :)

Doing things properly in the gym, combined with the correct diet, will give amazing results.

I wouldnt say the peoople who waste the most time in the gym are women..its usually the skinny blokes who go to the gym in gangs to "bulk up" by doing curls with 5kilo weights.
    They get disilusioned after three weeks because thier puny arms dont look any bigger and they stop going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

All this talk reminds me.

I must call over to Jim's house later for some pizza and beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I quite like the gym, the facilities are more than just a 'bench and a pair of trainers'.

It's more sociable, you can get tips from other people there.

And I have more muscles thanks to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

mikemac wrote: »
    Gym can cost hundreds and hundreds a year

Buy a good pair pair of runners and get fitted for them is about €120
    Set of weights and bench in Argos is maybe €150
    You're well off there. For €150 you'd get a ****ty 50kg set of vinyl weights and a bench that supports about 100kg. If you're a bloke, you'll need at least 100kg of weights, which will cost over €200 secondhand; a decent bench which will cost over €100; and a power cage or at least a squat rack, which will cost a few hundred euro as well. For less than this you could join a decent gym with more weights than you could ever lift, dumbbell racks, power cages, pullup and dip stations, and any amount of cardio equipment. Unless you despise gyms (lots of people do), can't get to one, or have lots of money, you'd be better off joining up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't see going to the Gym as a waste of time. If you're dedicated then then there's nothing making it a waste. I also enjoy using the swimming pool in my gym. In the summer I was going 5 times a week, but have since cut down to 3 due to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

They're both Kate Moss skinny so i think it's just an insecure thing with them as i could deadlift Australia outta the southern hemisphere.

Haha awh OP and Cheeky <3:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I really like going to the gym been going for just over half a year, minimum 2 days a week, max 3. I made sure to get routine for each day that I went and sticking to it. Watching the diet too but it's nothing mad strict but definitely better than what it was. My shoulders and legs are sore from yesterday, great feeling :)

So yes I feel it's worth it.

Ah to answer the ops question truthfully:

A waste of time if you're not training hard, not changing up your diet/routine (routine every so often to shock the body) and you're not enjoying it as it will be very hard nigh on impossible to get great results.

Well worth it if you train hard, educate yourself and change up your diet/routine and you're enjoying it (Hard but the motivator, feeling of being able to lift more numbers/run longer distances can be classed as enjoyment :)) as all this will lead to getting great results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the gym is definately worth it, i joined after xmas (a new years resolution) and go about 4 times a week on average.i piled on the weight in college with beer and pizza the main staples of my diet.

ive lost over 2 stone, 7 inches off my waist and gained a lot of muscle.never felt better, can buy clothes with ease now, and the best part......the attention from girls has gone through the roof on nights out. and yes my mates "slag" me when im in the gym and theyre goin for pints but theyve all admitted to me when by themseleves, that they wish they had the willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

I regularly go to the gym. Not really an image thing its just a hobby and i enjoy keeping fit although i wouldn't say im in bad shape. Sure beats sitting on the couch watching Maury...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I have yet to meet anybody who is bulky and pumped up who isn't an idiot. The whole idea of becoming "big" for the sake of it seems like a stupid pursuit to me.

Going to the gym to be fit is makes sense if you don't get exercise in your normal day.

The one that strikes me as strange are the people who drive everywhere and then go to the gym. If is possible to cycle to work and be quicker, driving for longer and then going to the gym seems a bad use of time. Not suggesting everybody should cycle but people can be very vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm just too lazy.

The thing is, I would do it if it didn't feel so futile. From what I hear, if you don't get the technique right you might as well do nothing. I just could not be arsed putting that kind of effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

grenache wrote: »
    I prefer the gym as jogging outdoors on the hard pavements is really bad for ones feet. Give me the treadmill any day over it. The only disadvantage of the gym is seeing all these fit people in there, all toned and beautiful. Makes one's self esteem drop a little.

Jogging on a threadmill is as much bad for your knees as is running on concrete. Jogging on grass is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Hanley wrote: »
    Only vain jerks go to the gym. It's a life sentence cos if you stop it all turns to fat anyway.

I dont post much but top class trolling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Jogging on a threadmill is as much bad for your knees as is running on concrete. Jogging on grass is much better.
    Jogging Running is another thing. It just feels so pointless because you'll never be as fast as The Flash.

You won't even be as fast as Superman ffs. What's the point!?

NTM

I'm not sure what your training entailed but i probably do something similar when i'm traveling and don't have gyms to go to. Bodyweight, calisthenic and plyometric exercises. Just improvise with my surroundings. Pull up and crunch combination is my favorite. As much pull ups as possible and then crunches to failure. Keep on repeating until i got to 150 pull ups. I believe a lot of US marines have used this technique. Also burpees followed by high knees is a killer. The only issue i have with these type of exercises is that it's always your own bodyweight. To increase mass you need the extra weight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I quite enjoy the gym, I mix cardio with weights, not looking to bulk up or lose weight but just get fit really. got 3-5 times a week apart from the last couple I havent been there once!!

• Advertisement

Be carefull in the gym..as has already been said..your muscle will turn to fat overnight once you stop going..it happened a boy in england.

In light of this truth spoken above i feel the need to quit. I didn't go to the gym yesterday and i woke up this morning with an arse bigger than mary harney's lunch. Anyone want my membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Most people (especially women) waste their time in the gym.

Absolutely. Seen it loads of times

Absolutely. It's too easy to just sit around and do nothing besides the health and confidence benefits are amazing.

Davidius wrote: »
    Jogging Running is another thing. It just feels so pointless because you'll never be as fast as The Flash.

You won't even be as fast as Superman ffs. What's the point!?

Well where i'm from you need to be faster than the guards. Which is why i said jogging and not running.

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm just too lazy.

The thing is, I would do it if it didn't feel so futile. From what I hear, if you don't get the technique right you might as well do nothing. I just could not be arsed putting that kind of effort in.

It's not futile but you don't want to be doing certain exercises with bad technique as you can injure yourself. As Dr.Kelso put it, "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy" - you don't put the effort in you don't get the results, simple as.
    raptorman wrote: »

It's evident you don't read much on the fitness forum either ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yes, however joining a gym usually doesn't carry with the condition that after three months you'll be sent to some godforsaken clusterfuck to the get shot at.

Irrelevant to the discussion. I was not getting shot at for the time I was in Basic. PT was basically a little under an hour a day, six days a week. It got us well fit, and required nothing greater than an exercise mat, running shoes and motivation. In our case, Drill Sergeants provided the motivation. You can use whatever motivation you want.

Does it 'sculpt' your body? No, probably not. But if all you're worried about is getting fit, as opposed to trying to win Mr Universe or a weightlifting competition, then 'fit' is probably your goal.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fair comment. Lads I know are often guilty of a similar offence. They 'play' football twice a week. They might walk around a gym hall and sprint after an outsized tennisball a dozen or so times. They think that ticks the exercise box for the week.Saturday is spent on a barstool watching games on TV, and wondering why they have big stomachs in their late 20s. :)

• Advertisement

raptorman wrote: »

Er..the guy is having a joke..fcucker lives in the gym!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I swim and run outside, have my own weights at home. I spend 2 years in the gym, took up LOADS of my time and money. D.I.Y. all the way. I spent longer waiting for the machines while there than anything else!

I swim and run outside, have my own weights at home. I spend 2 years in the gym, took up LOADS of my time and money. D.I.Y. all the way. I spent longer waiting for the machines while there than anything else!

Well thats why its important to join a good gym.
    I mean i couldnt fit enough equipment in my house for a decent weight-training workout,you dont have the music playing or other people to motivate you to say nothing of jacuzzi and steam room etc.
    I pay 300 a year for the gym i'm in and its worth every penny.
    On the subject of waiting for equipment,all you need to say is "Sorry,can i work in with you?"..unless the person is a pure asshole they'll be happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Don't agree Degsy, I'm a woman, very good sportswoman in fact, and all I got was raised eyebrows. My friend, a man, worked there and said they found it quite intimidating. I train outside now with my other half and a friend. The amount of times I've been given slack is unreal. Was in a really good gym but too many members. Have our own jacuzzi so don't miss that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Worth more than sitting watching random English and other nationality celebrities kick a ball around a pitch on the television.

• Advertisement
Advertisement