Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cigarette prices to come down??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

amacachi wrote: »
    Don't know anyone who smokes then?

I don't know anyone that i would want to bring gifts that hasten their death tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I don't smoke but hasn't this been debunked already. A smoker costs the state less as they live a shorter life and so do not contract multitudes of non-fatal diseases in old age and do not receive state benefits for as long (e.g pension/medical card etc.). It seems to me this is just an easy stick to beat people who make choices you disagree with.

Edit: Link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22995659/

Smoking in the UK costs the NHS £5billion annually

I'm sure that here it has a similar impact. I was responding to Turd he seemed to feel that no taxes should be levied on tobacco. Considering the significant health effects of tobacco that is a nonsense position. Perhaps I could have phrased myself better but that's what I was getting at.

Simulary we tax alcohol and carbon fuels and other consumables that are societal externalities. We clearly need to encourage less people to smoke. Higher taxes reduces the number of people smoking and raise revenue for the state than can be spent on Health and Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Considering that other countries in the world charge next to nothing for a packet of cigarettes, it makes me annoyed at the fact that the government are effectively doubling the price of them. While some people may say that raising the price of cigarettes discourages people from smoking, there is a sign on cigarette packets which clearly states that smoking kills. By conveying this, the consumer knows the full weight of their decisions. It is up to the individuals who smoke to take this advice on board. Nevertheless, noone else should make their decision for them as it is unliberal. However, like the Intoxicating Liquor Bill act of last year, the government are going to far on this matter. When things like this happen, it cripples business. This breaches business ethics.

The EU are dead right to step in on matters like this. In the last year and a half, the government have made a lot of controversial decisions like the cut in bus services(particularly Nitelinks), the law on blasphemy and tax levies. These decisions were made without public consultation or due regard to the effect on business. As such, these decisions can have a knock on effect such as redundancy packages which undermine peoples quality of life. Although cigarettes are unhealthy, the people who work for these companies are earning money and no government should be allowed to adversely effect the flow of business. At the end of the day, jobs are important even in the cigarette industry particularly in a time of economic downturn. It is therefore unethical to jeopardize this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Smoking in the UK costs the NHS £5billion annually

I'm sure that here it has a similar impact. I was responding to Turd he seemed to feel that no taxes should be levied on tobacco. Considering the significant health effects of tobacco that is a nonsense position. Perhaps I could have phrased myself better but that's what I was getting at.

Simulary we tax alcohol and carbon fuels and other consumables that are societal externalities. We clearly need to encourage less people to smoke. Higher taxes reduces the number of people smoking and raise revenue for the state than can be spent on Health and Education.

But that cost is useless unless you know how much people living longer with treatable but incurable conditions and extra costs in state benefits by not smoking costs the taxpayer. That's what the article I linked to shows (I'm not sure if it's accurate though which is why I asked).
    Also I disagree with the level at which you're willing to go to "encourage less people to smoke". It's one thing offering them the facts and letting them decide but to punish them after for making the "wrong" choice is OTT especially if it is true that they do not in the long run cost the state more.
    If it's true then I agree with Turd. People should be educated and then free to make their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Has the price of Lung Cancer come down yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

F uck off EU we'll do what we like.

HAHA... are you for real? Lisbon treaty? My sweet fcuk some people really don't have any clue about world events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

You can get fags here for as low as €2.50 a carton. I buy mine for €3.50 a pack. You can get 200 Marlboro, Benson, Urban Blue (JP), L&M's (25 quid) out of any good Eastern European Gaf @ 35 quid a carton.

Don't know why anybody pays €8.50. Nearly all the people I know who smoke, smoke fags from the Polish, Lithuanians etc.

Fcuk the Government and there 8.50

Advertisement