Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

They're in Galway all the time. Their little stands look fake as feck too, sometimes the stuff on their bib doesn't even match the charity they have posted on their stand :pac:

Haha :D
    mikedone wrote: »
    Why was he carted off in a tour company's bus?? ;)

fjlpqp.jpg

I'm surprised nobody had asked that sooner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's already been mentioned in this thread. Maybe you know someone else on Boards,

LOL! :pac: i'll find the post and see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

saa wrote: »
    Surely if you were privileged enough to attend a private fee paying school its a bit stingy to be giving out about a few quid, everything you've mentioned in £15 or under, you had to provide your food so what fee's for education/trips aren't always well managed and have to be supplemented.

But that's not management. That's just her taking the top off. And I wasn't privileged. Scholarship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I do believe that we have ran out of stingy stories.

Mods, maybe close the thread as its status as a legendary boards thread is diminishing

Could instead maybe delete the last 100 or so posts i guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was in a supermarket this morning, i was infront of a man who had 2 chocolate bars, i had let him pass me in queu, but the lady infront of me saw me doing this, she had a huge trolly of groceries, and just would not let the man go ahead of her, he even had the cash in his hand ready to hand over, instead he had to wait until she had put all her stuff through and to cap it off pay for with credit card, it took all of 15 minuits for her to finish, while this poor gent was through in seconds, he was a tourist. i call the move that lady made, mean, selfish, i always leave people who have one or two items through before me if i have a trolly load of groceries.

• Advertisement

i worked in a cafe once, where we all shared the tips in the end of the evening, there was an older lady, she always had two fine pockets on her clothing, we watched her and she putting tips in her pocket, and she still took a cut in the evening, then two of us refused to work with her, we did not say why, we realised she was making a mint, as when were on opposite shifts to hers, we always walked away with more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

goat2 wrote: »
    i was in a supermarket this morning, i was infront of a man who had 2 chocolate bars, i had let him pass me in queu, but the lady infront of me saw me doing this, she had a huge trolly of groceries, and just would not let the man go ahead of her, he even had the cash in his hand ready to hand over, instead he had to wait until she had put all her stuff through and to cap it off pay for with credit card, it took all of 15 minuits for her to finish, while this poor gent was through in seconds, he was a tourist. i call the move that lady made, mean, selfish

Yes, but not stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

goat2 wrote: »
    i was in a supermarket this morning, i was infront of a man who had 2 chocolate bars, i had let him pass me in queu, but the lady infront of me saw me doing this, she had a huge trolly of groceries, and just would not let the man go ahead of her, he even had the cash in his hand ready to hand over, instead he had to wait until she had put all her stuff through and to cap it off pay for with credit card, it took all of 15 minuits for her to finish, while this poor gent was through in seconds, he was a tourist. i call the move that lady made, mean, selfish, i always leave people who have one or two items through before me if i have a trolly load of groceries.

Tough titty on him, a queue is a queue. She might have been waiting ages to get to the front herself.

He should have gone to another checkout.

Verdict: Not Stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

There was an old woman who was loaded who used show up at our house on Sundays right around lunchtime to try and bum a free meal. She'd bring a bag of apples and have tea with my mother while the pots and stuff would be simmering in the background. My mother refused to give her any dinner because she had a reputation for being a loaded old miser. So it was Sunday lunch at 3 for a while in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    There was an old woman who was loaded who used show up at our house on Sundays right around lunchtime to try and bum a free meal. She'd bring a bag of apples and have tea with my mother while the pots and stuff would be simmering in the background. My mother refused to give her any dinner because she had a reputation for being a loaded old miser. So it was Sunday lunch at 3 for a while in our house.

By lunch I assume you mean dinner, in which case, it was still at least three hours too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It amazes me who people can be so "relaxed" when borrowing money/items, or even how others treat other people's borrowed items. If I was ever to borrow anything, I'd make sure to have it back ASAP without being reminded, and make sure to take 110% care with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

168424.jpg

EDIT: AH, y u no allow image embedding???

CiaranMT wrote: »
    168424.jpg

EDIT: AH, y u no allow image embedding???

They're stingy with the bandwith forcing others to take the strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭emmabee

Went out with this bloke a few years back. First or second date: went to the cinema, he pre-booked the tix on his credit card. So i thought it was fair enough that I was gonna be spared a tenner, bu he goes " I think it was 9 euro each " so I gave him the tenner, grand.

We then went to a nearby restaurant for a bit of food, he picks up one of the menu's starts going "****! Ah ****!" ... I said to him: "Eh... are you alright?" To which he replied : "We could have got the dinner AND the ticket for €20"

Jesus Christ, I'm all for being frugal, but this was before the recession and come on, its the first date - have some game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I find it really annoying when people order coffee to go and then sit down in the shop to drink it just to save 20 cent or something silly like that. If you are that hard up you probably shouldn't be wasting that much on coffee anyway!

Get some Dutch Gold instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

emmabee wrote: »
    Went out with this bloke a few years back. First or second date: went to the cinema, he pre-booked the tix on his credit card. So i thought it was fair enough that I was gonna be spared a tenner, bu he goes " I think it was 9 euro each " so I gave him the tenner, grand.

We then went to a nearby restaurant for a bit of food, he picks up one of the menu's starts going "****! Ah ****!" ... I said to him: "Eh... are you alright?" To which he replied : "We could have got the dinner AND the ticket for €20"

Jesus Christ, I'm all for being frugal, but this was before the recession and come on, its the first date - have some game!

You marry that man! You marry him NOW!

As stingy as he sounds, just because it was before the recession doesn't instantly mean that he had money to spare.

That said on a first date unless both parties have agreed beforehand to split the bill he should have just paid for both cinema tickets himself and then at dinner you would offer to cover at least your part of the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

You marry that man! You marry him NOW!
    As stingy as he sounds, just because it was before the recession doesn't instantly mean that he had money to spare.

That said on a first date unless both parties have agreed beforehand to split the bill he should have just paid for both cinema tickets himself and then at dinner you would offer to cover at least your part of the meal.

I was only slagging the missus yesterday that she costs me a fortune.... Our first date was to the cinema. It cost me 70 blips! :eek: There was a taxi into town, cinema tickets, popcorn & a drinks.... then pub for a drink afterwards... then a taxi home!

I really should let go of that now, after all... it was almost 8 years ago! :D But I think she likes being reminded that she's not a 'cheap' date!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was only slagging the missus yesterday that she costs me a fortune.... Our first date was to the cinema. It cost me 70 blips! :eek: There was a taxi into town, cinema tickets, popcorn & a drinks.... then pub for a drink afterwards... then a taxi home!

I really should let go of that now, after all... it was almost 8 years ago! :D But I think she likes being reminded that she's not a 'cheap' date!

you what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I worked in a Beergarden near Frankfurt back in the late 80's. Nice place, good money and a great atmosphere between workers. There was a restaurant so one of the cooks cooked breakfast for everyone, lunch and dinner was out of the beergarden grill and there was 2 litres of beer for everyone after work when the garden shut and we were cleaning up. Guys who owned it had a few other bars in the area and were happy with things.

Then we got a new manager.

Breakfast was warmed up leftovers from the day before, which was essentially a warmed up dinner for breakfast. Anything that wasn't eaten was thrown out. Lunch was a half portion of the cheapest cuts of ribs, he made sure we got the small bony ones at the end of the slab of ribs. Dinner was a cold salad with bread that was left over from the day before, and the two litres of beer was gone, replaced with a 0,5l instead. the garden only had 1.0 l beermugs so he had to go over to the restaurant to get the smaller glasses! To be fair we almost never drank the 2 litres but it was the principle. The brewery used to give a free keg in every so often for the staff so it wasn't costing anyone anything.

Result?

After 6 weeks some of the staff had left or were actively looking for new work, morale was at an all time low, productivity and work ethic went down. As a result the reputation of the beergarden that summer went down all because the manager was a stingy fcuker who tried to save in the wrong department. If it ain't broke don't fix it. he was let go that winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Irishgalclare

In my work we agreed a €10 limit for Christmas presents - I spent ages looking for something nice for my 'friend' and managed to get something really good which was selling for 70% off. Imagine my disgust when she gave me a piece of cheap crappy plastic jewellery from the local 2 Euro shop.

bluewolf wrote: »
    you what

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I do believe that we have ran out of stingy stories.

Mods, maybe close the thread as its status as a legendary boards thread is diminishing

Could instead maybe delete the last 100 or so posts i guess....

Maybe you should just stop reading then? I still enjoy the stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What?

edit: I've been informed I'm just weird so... nevermind! :D

a place i worked in kept the lemon slices from the jugs of water and put them all in one jug of water in fridge each evening, when water was called for we wouuld take out a slice of lemon and place that in the jug of water, a lemon lasted a whole week, nice and thinly sliced also. we had to pay for the coffee we would have for coffee break, even though in the evening when closing, we would be tossing down left over coffee which could amount to a couple leters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Was in the bookies today.

man walks in asks three times are there any free bets today and gets quite pissed off when the staff tell him the only free bet is the one you can get a certain newspaper today.

man storms out of bookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm the stingy one here or the other guy. My friend and I were going out in town (just to annoy the non-dubs :P) one night but before that he said he had to go to a barbecue in his brother's house for a while first and said I should come along. I'd met some of them before but knew no one there. I wasn't sure how long we'd be there so I picked up a ten pack of beer on the basis that I'd probably only have one or two there but would have the rest another day.

When we got there I tried to open up my ten pack but his brother insisted that I drink his beer. We were there less than an hour in the end so I had two of his beers, each time with him stopping me from opening my own.

When we were leaving I picked up my ten pack and started to walk out and the brother said "oh, you're taking that are you?" and I said "Yes I am" and kept walking.

So was I stingy for taking the ten pack or was he stingy for insisting that I drink two of his beers instead of my own and then expecting me to leave my ten pack behind?

Hmm, well if he was insisting you drink his beer, generally I'd say bring what you are prepared to leave. In this case I'd leave you oof, maybe should have left a few and grabbed the rest quietly :)
    mightyreds wrote: »
    you arent from the prosperous area in kildare at all?

I'm presuming the same guy dressed as elvis comes into my local every weekend selling those scratch cards, plus a person who regularly drinks in the bar runs a raffle winner takes all, which for some strange reason no-one other than her family or good friends seem to win' now i'm not stingy but i have to agree with you on this, between elvis and this person its 5 euro for the raffle and 3 for elvis and i'm usually caught with it before my first sip of porter even hits my lips, it really annoys me but every week you give in to pressure of all your friends watching and pay up!!:mad:

Cant say I'm too keen on those local arrangements, where their cousin or someone connected seems to win, or where it is deemed the winner hands back the prize/money, whats the bloody point then?
    Esel wrote: »
    I'd call that crafty, rather than stingy.

If by crafty you mean devious, and by that I mean a thieving fraud, ah shure fair play to him if he can get away with it, right? the thieving hoor.
    Warper wrote: »
    My first office job was with a local accountancy firm. The boss told us not to off the lights in the room during lunch as it cost too much electricity when turning them back on after lunch. This is the same guy that used to steam envelopes to re-use the stamps on them. The guy was loaded

He's hardly being stingy really as its costing him more, but pretty sure (cycling) switching lights on and off can shorten the life of bulbs too (well ones with filament bulbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, but if you got your rock 'n' roll...... :pac:

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Yeah, but if you got your rock 'n' roll...... :pac:

Would've been cheaper to get a brazzer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Emma? No way Freaky, How have you been!:) They still do that deal in UCI but its 25 yo yo now :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement