Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Blood

Options
  • 16-07-2014 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

I saw these guys play at Marlay Park last weekend. There as an opening act for Arctic Monkeys.

It was the first time I had heard them and I thought they were awesome.

Two lads from Brighton. Mike Kerr (Vocal,Bass) and Ben Thatcher (Drums)
    There style, I would describe as Hard Rock/Garage Rock with some Grunge and bluesy elements.

Royal-Blood-008.jpg

Their self-titled debut album is to be released on Aug 25th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'd listened to a bit of these guys before the gig and I was not disappointed with the live performance.

They have huge potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Saw them last weekend as well. Serious. Glasto set is great as well.

Can't wait till their new album comes out but I'm sure the inevitable White Stripes comparisons will be rife around the release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Big sound for just a two piece. I was reading about the technical stuff behind the (bass) guitar sound.
    Would be good to see them add another musician eventually, as it could all end up sounding the same, every song...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There pretty good, interested in hearing a full album. Very tight, as they should be. Certainly don't look nervous on the big stages. Drummer has a nice groove. White Stripes comparison eh? Sound nothing alike, plus yer wan hadn't a notion how to play drums. Them and Death From Above on tour would kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

seachto7 wrote: »
    I was reading about the technical stuff behind the (bass) guitar sound.

is he using some sort of octave effect?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I thought they were the best opening act on Saturday by a distance. I was impressed with their sound from just a Bassist and Drummer. They were great live, great energy, great stage presence. I hadn't heard of them before that set, By the end of it I was like, "I could really get into this band!"

Links234 wrote: »
    is he using some sort of octave effect?

Yeah. From what I can see live, he has a bass cab, and two guitar amps on top. So I am guessing he is splitting the signal, and sending the bass to the bass amp, and the octave sound to the guitar amps.

He goes through how he rigs it all up. It's not just a case of an octave pedal. I tried it on my bass to see what it would sound like. (Mine sounded rubbish!)

He gets a very clean sound for what he wants it to do. He seems to have taken some time to find his sound, which you could say sounds like a guitar and a bass, so why didn't they just get a guitar player in. But maybe that's the hook, it's just two of them.

I'm getting a QOTSA, stoner rock kind of vibe off them.

They're nothing like the White Stripes, because at least the drummer in this band can actually play the drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Saw them the weekend before, they were excellent. Sound more like early Muse to me, crossed with some DFA1979. Looking forward to the album.

Only thing I will say, I don't think a band like this will have much longevity unless they add more to their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Interesting sound.

Big Business were a 2-piece for their first album but they added a guitarist for their 2nd, probably because they realised there is only so much that bass can do by itself.

Even if Royal Blood go this route in the future, I hope they keep their sound bass-centric as it really sets bands like this apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Caught them at Glastonbury on BBC, have been giving them plenty of plays on Spotify since. Really like them. Some sound for a 2-piece.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Saw them the weekend before, they were excellent. Sound more like early Muse to me, crossed with some DFA1979. Looking forward to the album.

Only thing I will say, I don't think a band like this will have much longevity unless they add more to their music.

Yes, I think it could get old quite quick. I have only seen bits and bobs of them live, but am not sure if a 1 or 2 hour show of the same sound could hold my attention. Saying that, I had no problem with Mastodon and their sound for a few hours.

An organ or keys player could go down well with them.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yes, I think it could get old quite quick. I have only seen bits and bobs of them live, but am not sure if a 1 or 2 hour show of the same sound could hold my attention. Saying that, I had no problem with Mastodon and their sound for a few hours.

An organ or keys player could go down well with them.

Yeah pretty much all of this, bar Mastodon bit. I do hope they add keys next, itd be a blast!

Yup, keys would be the way, along with glittering capes.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Listened to these guys a bit over the last week after hearing good things about them in Marlay Park. Like the sound of them, remind me a bit of The Black Keys' older Stuff.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Debut album is streaming on itunes now.

Debut album is streaming on itunes now.

Bah, stupid itunes >_> I'll just wait until it's released!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can see them announcing a tour after reading/leeds this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

iTunes is annoying alright. But once you're signed into an account you can stream the album on their page. I'm listening to it now and it's really good. I've pre-ordered it. I think these guys are gonna blow up when the album comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Loose Change is great. Id say these guys would be mental live. I hope they announce tour dates soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

MadYaker wrote: »
    Loose Change is great. Id say these guys would be mental live. I hope they announce tour dates soon.

I saw them when they were supporting Arctic Monkeys, great live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

They are a breath if fresh air.

Music does sound very familiar but done in a very new way.

Im liking them a lot.

10492088_10152382703979891_6752404664918080906_n.jpg?oh=da44f8faa1983787c207b639991743d4&oe=546F8FED&__gda__=1417615446_f78dfd50f34a98b63d5a6b7ada41bff1

Hopefully tour dates pop up now that their Reading performance is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

After getting through the heavy hitters, the album has some absolute gems. Really like Blood Hands, Loose Change & Careless

Mushy wrote: »
    Hopefully tour dates pop up now that their Reading performance is done.

Same although not gonna wait as long as i did for George Ezra tickets(which sold out withing a few days at the most)

Will they do Whelans or take a chance with the Academy?

Same although not gonna wait as long as i did for George Ezra tickets(which sold out withing a few days at the most)

Will they do Whelans or take a chance with the Academy?

George Ezra and Royal Blood...I wish they both did Cork shows. Still hope for Royal Blood.

Should chance the Academy I'd say, if its Whelans they might travel down here.

Just gave it a listen there, really solid album. Looking forward to exploring it over the next week.

Think they are set to go to number one in the charts this week .
    Royal Blood look set to reach Number One on the Official UK Albums Chart this week with their self-titled debut.

The band's album was released on Monday (August 25) and is currently ahead of Ariana Grande's 'My Everything' at today's midweek stage. The final chart placings will be revealed on BBC Radio 1 on Sunday (August 31).

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/79415?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=royalblood#Myazb6UjOxWGW135.99

• Advertisement

Just saw on their facebook, gig for Dublin announced 27th October in the Academy.

Advertisement