Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike = New Me

• 23-07-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

First off this wont be a log with millions of miles, Its for me to stay interested and focused on my goal.... Weight Loss!!!!

I've always being a little on the heavy side but never fat, So food was never something I paid attention to because I was always doing some sort of training so I could treat myself to a big mc at will until around November last year when I started a 30 day challenge with the guys I used to do TRX with, losing 8 kg and 6% body fat.

Recently I was involved in a RTA and with the drivers insurance company insisting on settling on nearly 3 times my expenses and time off work I found myself sitting on a little extra pocket money the same month as my 30th. After a few thoughts of how I should use the money the OH suggested a really good bike and use the current bike ( lapierre audacio 400) as my commuter and winter bike.
    A trip to my LBS after many night googling and oogling over bikes I had an idea what I wanted. I went in thinking Felt AR4 until I spoke to Derek Humphries and he suggest letting him build a bike for the money I had to spend.
    Enter stage left a Kardan K1, Ultegra 11sp, Campy Zondas and Deda finishing kit
    315328.jpg

As soon as I collected it one thing popped into my head - The weight(or lack of)

After a few days off work and a few short spins and some hills I start thinking about how good the bike really could be if I lost a bit of weight too.

Playing around with Garmin connect and syncing MyFittnessPal I decided 70kg should be target weight and 10 weeks time should be my target - The Cork Rebel Tour.
    Cycling alone wont do it for me so my diet will need to be managed, Calorie intake in particular. I'm a fairly clean eater but and a sucker for overeating. The result is me currently being 78kg, According to the phone app I'm allowed a balance of 1685 calories a day. The app syncs up with Garmin connect so what's burned off cycling can be replaced with a further intake.
    After my first 3 days of calorie counting I'm feeling good and importantly not hungry and even had about 300 or so calories left available to me each day. The app is a big help and has a massive data base so searching for food to add to your diary is easy and has a barcode scanner too to cut down search times.

I'm going to have one last weekend of indulgence as I use up the last of the bday excuses and head out over the weekend to a few comedy gigs, After that I'm living by one simple rule - If it's white, It's Sh*te.
    I'll be trying a food plan the food plan I used back in November so hopefully the results should be the same.
    Its a case of eating little but often, 5 meals a day but small and easy to break down.

I've recently finished a shed out the back with plenty of room so the TRX rope will be out along with some kettle bells to add some short high intensity workouts in the evenings.

Day 1 78.8kg. 8.8kg and 10 weeks to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That's a beautiful bike, best of luck in your goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Amazing bike, what weight is it?

Best of luck with the weight loss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Would you mind if I asked what the bike cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

longshanks wrote: »
    Would you mind if I asked what the bike cost?

Different prices depending on the build is probably the best answer I can give. It's a €2k+ bike depending what you want so would be best giving the guys a shout and finding out for your self

Today was a bad day for food. Had a massive lunch with loads of chips and bread. Was planning a spin after work so got 50km in with a lap of howth and came home absolutely starving. Paid no attention to what I was eating as I just didn't care.

Thankfully I got a nice little surprise when I logged all my food.

I'm off the bike tomorrow as I'm out after work so that's a day wrote off so that will have to be made up over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

stecleary wrote: »
    Today was a bad day for food. Had a massive lunch with loads of chips and bread. Was planning a spin after work so got 50km in with a lap of howth and came home absolutely starving. Paid no attention to what I was eating as I just didn't care.

Thankfully I got a nice little surprise when I logged all my food.

I'm off the bike tomorrow as I'm out after work so that's a day wrote off so that will have to be made up over the weekend

You know Garmins greatly overestimate energy expended.
    Energy in isn't an exact science either.

Best of luck with weight loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

on the same boat as you good luck with everything there are times that it will feel hard but just htfu and get on with it:-)...... january was 93 kg target was 80 kg done it already:-) now im hovering between 80-81 kg depending on the week and how good i am but my next target now is 70-75 kg in the next few months

ford2600 wrote: »
    You know Garmins greatly overestimate energy expended.
    Energy in isn't an exact science either.

Best of luck with weight loss

Yup fully aware of this and know it's all about what you eat and not how much but as said I'm one for over eating so using the calories as a guide to limit myself per day. It has worked for me before and hoping it will work again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Best of luck with this..
    Set yourself a target of cycling 200k per week and you can eat what you like! ;)

At the moment 200km is not happening because of free time but after a week or two ill be able to do it.
    The two weeks before the cycle in Cork things should ease off and I'll build the miles then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Best of luck with this..
    Set yourself a target of cycling 200k per week and you can eat what you like! ;)

I can very easily put on weight cycling 200km+ a week! I wish that was true! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Inquitus wrote: »
    I can very easily put on weight cycling 200km+ a week! I wish that was true! :)

In your case the extra weight is probably muscle ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    In your case the extra weight is probably muscle ;)

And with that I've just copped how wrong I've approached this! Fat burning is my main goal hence throwing in some TRX workouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Nice bike

Good thread

Keep up the good work

Pretty much the worst kind of day I could have had on the bike.

After a heavy night of drinking I didn't even look at the bike yesterday and ate sh!t all day.
    I did however go shoe shopping
    thumb_2863__product-zoom.png

Unfortunately I didn't get on to great with the shoes, the sole is extremely stiff(what I was after) and I just could get the fit right, too loose then too tight, then too loose again! lots of numbness in the toes at times too.

I had 110 planned today with the first 25km with the other half, that part went fine, spun out to the grange had a bit to eat then left her at Blakes cross, headed north as far as Balbriggan and kicked to pick up the pace.....boom nothing there!
    No matter what direction I was going I was into a head wind and with nothing in the legs and getting annoyed with myself every time I ever time I tried move the pace on Loughshinny was the last straw. Went from Rush to Lusk and headed towards swords, the plan was to head towards malahide from there and do a few laps of Howth but I gave up and continued on home to Coolock. 75km done with a pitiful 25kmh average

So the last week didn't go as planned with food so today has kicked off 30 days of hell.

Back using the food plan I used before xmas.

Why did the month have to start on a Friday???
    I felt good today and had a little boost at 10:30 when our boss brought in out weekly reward, Jam doughnuts and choc bars... I turned down multiple offers.

Weight: 77.5kg
    Body Fat: 25.1%
    Water retention 54.7%
    BMI: 26.7

Breakfast:
    2 Scoops of USN GF1 Protein Shake
    1 Scoop of blended porridge oats

Lunch:
    170g of peppered steak (grilled)
    100g of boiled carrots

Dinner:
    150g of grilled chicken
    100g of oven cooked sweet potato
    100g of grilled green beans

9pm:
    2 scoops of protein

20km cycled today

It been a good week. Stuck to my food plan and had a treat on wed evening in the cinema with some popcorn, not the most exciting of treats but it's the small things that get me through this.
    I've upped my commute to just under 35km a day instead of the normal 20km.
    Last night I got 35km on the way home and may as well have been cycling sideways along the coast road with the wind. I've a couple of sportives planned over the next few weeks so the 150km plus days will start building the miles again.

That should be interesting to see how this food plan works then and how much fuel I have in the tank.

I've decided Friday mornings will be my weigh in day and was happy enough this morning.

Weigh:75.3kg
    Body fat: 23.5%
    Happy Friday people

An other week in and more good results.
    Sunday was the tour of kildare, I only done the 65km as I was a bit short on time but it was done at a nice 29kmh average. It was at 25kmh for a while until I got a little annoyed with the 3 lads I got into a group with took the piss once too much. We were working well together rolling over ever km until we reached a hill(not that there were many) and they all sat in behind me and then all sort of attacked at the top and left me chasing to get back on with them. We got to the hill of Allen and I had enough. Kick on leaving them there and just kept kicking by myself. Picked my average to 29 for the day but think I held about a 35 average for the last 10km.
    The moment I kicked was also caught on camera

Sticking to the food plan this week was a little tricky as the OH has started slimming world and I told her I would try the diet with her. Personally I think it's too good to be true because you can have what you want once you stay with in a daily allowance. None the less when I stood on the scales on Friday morning I was chuffed again.
    72.2KG. Down an other 2 kg this week. 5.5kg in two weeks.I'm feeling confident I'll hit 70kg in the next two weeks but holding the weight down will be the challenge from there.

Tomorrow is the leinster loop and again I'm only doing the shorter spin, the OH is doing her first sportif so gonna stay beside as she is a little nervous about being in group. However I am going to cycle home from it and that will bring my day to about 120km

Didn't get as much of a cycle as I planned for yesterday but am very proud of the other half for doing her first sportif.
    She still isn't overly comfortable riding behind someone one and has this thing were if she catches them she is going around them.
    found a pic of the two of us finishing yesterday.
    She had a horrible day with her saddle coming loose out of nowhere and not having an allen key to fit with us she trooped on and suffered big time on some hills with it moving about
    10556391_10153083622211549_2415002465331265349_n.jpg

This week has been a bad week. Food plan went out the window when I got a serious dose of justcouldntbearseitis.
    I said earlier in the thread that I was never really concerned about my weight but to be honest that's a lie. I have been trying to watch my weight for years and never really committed to it so just trained as I thought that would help and hoped it would work. I got really really down last week for no reason at all and had it in my head this belly was never gonna shift. Ate chips, pizza, chocolate, crisps and drank beer as if they were going out of fashion. Eating crap made me feel worse as I knew I was undoing 95% of the work. The OH sat me down and gave me a bit of a talking to and every time I tried justify it it just sounded even more idiotic, and at one stage I'm not ashamed to admit I broke down into tears because I was feeling sorry for myself when it was her i let down by not trying because we are in this together trying to lose weight.
    Then I thought about it and still can't under stand why men find it hard to talk about their weight. I'm not looking to be ripped and have a stomach like a wash board. I'm trying to shift the spare tyre I have around my waist that's just not meant to be there. If you mention a diet to "the lads" the looks and abuse you get are enough to out you off trying. I know 99% of the time it's just banter and maybe I'm being a bit too sensitive about it this week but to me there seems to be a big stigma about men trying to look after themselves if they don't have the body of a Greek god to start off with.
    I set myself a very realistic target of cycling 1000km in august but again found every excuse not to do it and took the shorter routes home or just didn't bother getting out at all. I'll be lucky to hit 500km for the month I'd say. Wed I got a bit of a boost when I marshaled a club race and tore up my PBs on loads of segments in both directions. This had me adamant is was doing the extra bit on the way home Thursday but got caught in the rain and peeled off home the short way, same crap Friday and I just couldn't be arsed.

Back on the scales and like I feared the numbers were on the up. 75 kg again. This just shows what a few days eating crap and not putting the effort does to me and also gave me a bit of a wake up call. I'm busting my assignment in the kitchen to get it right but not bothering with the training, I need to do both to really make it work and train harder on days I feel a little down and want to have something crap. I need to earn that back of chips or pizza.

I knew the weight would come tumbling down from previous efforts but changing the shape is my ultimate goal. I knew it wouldn't be easy and was expecting a blow out but not to the extent I ley it get to. I know the harder part for me is maintaining a weight because I'm a bit of a yo yo dieter.

The chin is back up, the target is focused on again and I'm going to do it. Hills don't flatten out on sportifs for any man you just have to enable yourself to climb them.

• Advertisement

this is not going to plan at all............
    I've been having bouts of vertigo over the last few weeks so have been stuck to the sofa.
    think im getting on top of it now but wouldn't feel comfortable on a bike at all, so now on the look out for a trainer so i can at least get out to the shed for an hour when im feeling right

on the plus side the rebel tour went better than planned, had great crack climbing and passing loads of people going up healys pass on both visits, cold have been down to taking it hands on all the bits in between the climbs because i told a friend i would stay with him

Being working hard this month in the gym and got some serious results.

Jan 1st
    Weight 80kg
    Body Fat 25.5% BF
    BMI 27.5 BMI
    Hight 170cm
    Chest 104cm
    Belly 97cm
    Thigh 54cm

Jan 30th
    Weight 72kg
    Body Fat 18.% BF
    BMI 24.5 BMI
    Hight 170cm
    Chest 102cm
    Belly 85cm
    Thigh 52cm

Its being a long month of a very strict food plan, Hard training, A lot of ups and some downs.
    I had set a target of losing 5kg and 5% BF, Smashed both targets.
    There hasn't been a lot of cycling really due to the weather and work hours, but 3 hard gym sessions focusing on strength and conditioning got the results.
    In my head im a lot happier i got off my ass and finally got it in gear.
    I plan on doing the swords club league this year and have worked out a plan with the lad im training with to have plenty in the legs when i need to kick .

Below is how the month went
    05/01/15 Legs & Back

Back Squats 12x15kg
    10x25kg
    8x35kg
    6x40kg

Walking Lunges 20x10kg
    20x10kg
    20x10kg

Front Dumbell 12x7.5kg
    Raise 10x7.5kg
    8x7.5kg

Lateral Raise 12x6kg
    10x6kg
    8x6kg

Workout of the day

AirSquats 20
    CF Push Ups 15
    KB Swings 10x24kg
    3 Rounds Time: 7min 5sec

07/01/15 Chest & Biceps

Flat Bench 10x15kg
    10x35kg
    10x45kg
    10x45kg

Bar Curls 10x15kg
    10x15kg
    10x20kg

Push Ups 30

Workout of the day

TRX Push ups 5
    TRX Knee Tucks 50
    TRX M.Climbs 100
    3 Rounds Time: 6 min 48 sec

09/01/15 Back and Triceps

Pull ups 10x4

Inverted Rows 10x4

Heavy KB Swing 3x24kg
    3x24kg
    3x28kg

2 min high plank

Workout of the day

9 Min Workout
    KB Swings x8 6x20kg
    Squat to KB x8 x6
    1/2 Burpees x8 x6
    100M Run x5

12/01/15

Back Squats
    12x20kg
    5x30kg
    5x40kg
    5x50kg
    5x60kg
    5x70kg

Walking Lunges 20x20kg
    20x20kg
    20x20kg

Shoulder Press 10x15kg
    10x15kg
    10x15kg
    10x15kg

Front & Lat SuperSets 10x12kg
    10x12kg
    5x12kg

Workout of the day

KB Swings 12x20kg
    Hanging Knee Raises 20
    TRX Donuts 12
    TRX M. Climbs 80
    3 rounds Time 8'46”

14/01/15

Flat BP 10x20kg
    10x40kg
    5x50kg
    6x50kg

Incline Press ups 10x3

bicept curls 10x15kg
    10x15kg
    10x15kg

EZ Bar Curls 10x20kg
    10x20kg
    10x20kg

olympic ring push ups 3

Workout of the day

spiderman pushups x8
    KB Swings x8
    1/2 burpees x8
    TRX Knee Tucks x80

16 min workout 3 rounds

16/01/15

Pull ups 10x3
    chin ups 6x3
    Rack TriDips 7x3
    tricept pushups 10x3

Workout of the day

CF Pushups 10
    KB Swings 10x20kg
    1/2 burpees x30
    Hanging Knee Raises x40

12 min work out 2 rounds

19/01/15

Back Squats 12x20kg
    10x40kg
    10x50kg
    10x60kg
    10x70kg

Walking Lunges 48x15kg
    Shoulder Press 40x15kg
    Front & Lat raises 15x15kg

Workout of the day

AirSquats 100
    KB Swings 100x20kg
    TRX Donuts 25
    13 Min Time Limit

21/01/15

Supersets
    Flat Bench Press 3 rounds 10x35kg
    Incline Press Ups 10

Bicept Curls 3 rounds 20x10kg
    EZ Bar Curs 10x20kg

Workout of the day

TRX Pushups 10
    TRX Mclimbs 100
    KB Swings 10x20kg
    12 min 6 rounds

26/01/15

Work out of the day
    21 Min Limit
    Super Circuts
    Block 1
    Back Squats 10x35kg
    Shoulder Press 10x15kg
    Hanging Knee Tucks 10 reps

Block 2
    Walking Lunges 20 reps
    Lat Raises 10x15kg
    KB swings 10x20kg

Block 3
    Trx Donuts 10 reps
    TRX knee tucks 10 reps
    TRX Mclimbs 100 reps

100M Sprint
    4 Rounds

30/01/15
    20 min workout
    Block 1

Inverted Row 10 reps
    KB swings 10x20kg
    CF Pushups 10 reps
    10 rounds
    Block 2

Trx Donuts 10 reps
    TRX knee tucks 10 reps
    TRX Mclimbs 100 reps
    1 round

Like I said its not being easy but more than worth it.

Feb will be along the same lines with a good bit more cycling in the mix.

I'm away for a week in march skiing but after that its going to be all on the bike to get ready for the leagues and hope i can hang on and finish some races

Advertisement