Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

For those upset at cyclists safely breaking lights:get over yourselves or get a bike!
    I'm also a motorist, a pedestrian and a cyclist.
    I don't break lights in my car or on my bike, cause it part of the rules of the road, and leads to greater safety for everyone.

Breaking the lights 'safely'? How do you define this? Not everyone's definition is the same; someones idea of 'safe' is 'dangerous' to others, hence the use of rules.

The 'get over yourselves' attitude is too prevalent on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Folks - please take the car v bike argument somewhere else.

This thread is about the Cork Bike Scheme.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Dbu wrote: »
    Im not being smart here, but cyclists need to obey the rules of the road as well. ie traffic lights

From my commute the other day,

and one from a while ago'

a clown is a clown regardless of their chosen method of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

SomeFool wrote: »
    From my commute the other day, a clown is a clown regardless of their chosen method of transport.

Send video to gardai. I cycle from ballincollig to city to work. Like with every mode of transport your gonna get idiots. It does frustrate me when cyclists jump lights. Gives us all a bad name. New cycle lanes are great. Pity the new bike scheme wasn't out in commuter towns. Would encourage more people to cycle into work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Nah, I only posted her on YouTube cause she sprawled all over the bike box at the next junction, it's a real pet hate of mine.

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    Folks - please take the car v bike argument somewhere else.

This thread is about the Cork Bike Scheme.

Thanks.
    Please lets mods do their job, or apply to become one if you wish. If you feel there's a bike v's car argument brewing, then report and let them decide.

I'm not having a bike v's car argument; on the Cork Bike Scheme thread, I'm discussing the safety aspect. There's going to be a lot more cyclists in the city, and everyone (motorists, bikers, cyclists, pedestrians, ...) needs to be more wary for their own (and others) safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's not just some drivers. Cyclists are also responsible.
    Can't understand how people are cycling against traffic in the city, wearing dark clothes and no lights.
    Some cyclists don't appear to care for their own well being.
    In an urban environment, black clothes or not, If you can't see somebody nearby then either your sight is too bad for you to drive or you're not paying attention to the road.

cgcsb wrote: »
    In an urban environment, black clothes or not, If you can't see somebody nearby then either your sight is too bad for you to drive or you're not paying attention to the road.

I did see the cyclist, hence why I was able to post about it.

But if you think the issue is with the driver; rather than someone cycling against traffic (occurred on Bridge street which is one way), in Winter-time light and weather, wearing dark clothing, and no lights; that's up to you.

Personally I think the cyclist is at fault for not taking precautions to limit the risk to their own well being. In any environment, you should reduce the chance of sustaining an injury (either through you own neglect or others).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Can't wait for Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Can't wait for Friday!

I think it is tomorrow, Thursday 18th, that it is meant to launch. Saw builders finishing the surface at the Sullivans Quay stand this morning. Looked like it was ready to go, the stands and control panel were lit up and all. I'm looking forward to see how it will turn out too. It's a very welcome addition to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

[QUOTE=the beer revolu;93469078
    For those upset at cyclists safely breaking lights:get over yourselves or get a bike![/QUOTE]

Why not wait until the light is green? Have witnessed a pedestrian being knocked down by a light breaker on a bike and its not pretty. When the green light comes on for pedestrians to cross does not mean a bike can plough through. Any way didn't mean to start a bike v car thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dbu wrote: »
    Im not being smart here, but cyclists need to obey the rules of the road as well. ie traffic lights

This thread is about the Cork Public Bike Scheme, not about cycling behaviour - please stay on topic or you'll go on Santa's naughty list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Up & running!

dyrnts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

opus wrote: »
    Up & running!

dyrnts.jpg

Excellent, thats great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I passed Wandesford Quay opposite the dole office and that also looked operational with 8 or 9 bikes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Andip wrote: »
    This thread is about the Cork Public Bike Scheme, not about cycling behaviour - please stay on topic or you'll go on Santa's naughty list

:eek: :D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Went for a spin today on one of the bikes, they're pretty nice to use. A few points:
    • Didn't see anyone else only meself on one, so people haven't rushed out en masse to use them.
    • They look great.
    • You can get a nice bit of speed out of them if you try.
    • The gearing mechanism is the most interesting thing- instead of the gear jumping up from one gear to the next, it feels like something tightens up in the hub so you get a gradient effect - sort of like the turning the gas burner up or down.
    • The bell is pretty tinny.
    • The locks are a bit crap - unlike the DublinBikes where the lock is integrated into the bike, they just have a combination lock attached to the handlebar and you get a code for it and have to remember it or write it down.
    • The basket isn't great, like the Barclay Bikes one only larger. It'll hold an eightpack of Harp Lager pretty handy though.
    • Got a few admiring looks from passers-by. Gotta enjoy those admiring looks while they last - there'll be a lot more people on those bikes soon enough.
    • Finally: Woo Hoo! A bikeshare scheme in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭thomil

Good to see it up and running. One thing has surprised me, though. The station at Camden Quay is finished and looks ready to go, but still hasn't gotten any bikes. I've just emailed the operators to find out what is up with that. I'd be curious to know if there is any other stations in Cork that are in similar limbo.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

thomil wrote: »
    Good to see it up and running. One thing has surprised me, though. The station at Camden Quay is finished and looks ready to go, but still hasn't gotten any bikes. I've just emailed the operators to find out what is up with that. I'd be curious to know if there is any other stations in Cork that are in similar limbo.

College of Comm didnt appear to have any when I passed, although I wasn't sure if they were all used or it's just not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

thomil wrote: »
    If you download the app, you'll see that most of the stations aren't online yet.
    I think it'll be great when /if they extend the range. As it is, I'd say the greatest distance between any 2 stations is about a 15 minute walk.
    UCC is probably the most useful destination atm but I'd like to see it cover more of the suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Spotted a station out beside The Oval (across from Beamish factory) last night. The bike look great and the station is quite neat and doesn't obstruct the path in any way. 3 bikes were missing so there's a few people already using them :) Think I'll wait till more of the stations are complete. I don't like the idea of using it to cross the city and then struggle to find a station to park it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Bacchus wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of using it to cross the city and then struggle to find a station to park it again.

Maybe thats why there were three missing. There has to be less bikes than stations so people can park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Super fast I only registered yesterday and got the stuff in the post today yeppee

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Used the bike today, pretty impressed - they are very comfortable and go at a decent pace. The gearing system is nice.

When I was taking one out for my return journey I had to use my card a few times but I think i may have been pulling the bike out before it disengaged, meaning that it didn't actually disengage (if that makes sense).

I saw a few others around town on them too.

Where do you get the code for the lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Looking good! Load of wans climbing over them and lads trying to break them out of the stands on South Main St though, not sure how they'll last...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

TheChizler wrote: »
    Looking good! Load of wans climbing over them and lads trying to break them out of the stands on South Main St though, not sure how they'll last...

The initial novelty will wear off in the New Year. It's actually a tad unfortunate that the timing of their introduction wound up in the middle of Christmas drinking season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bacchus wrote: »
    The initial novelty will wear off in the New Year. It's actually a tad unfortunate that the timing of their introduction wound up in the middle of Christmas drinking season.
    This - thought a Spring/Summer launch would see more use of them initially and help it grab a foothold in Cork culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

they should have held off until after christmas at least. this piecemeal opening isn't really doing much for publicising the benefits the scheme will eventually bring.

I have a feeling that they had to open some part of it at least in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭thomil

they should have held off until after christmas at least. this piecemeal opening isn't really doing much for publicising the benefits the scheme will eventually bring.

I have a feeling that they had to open some part of it at least in 2014.

I disagree. In my eyes, the piecemeal launch could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It should enable them to work out any teething issues, and bring new stations online when they're ready. I had a bit of email contact with them concerning the Camden Quay station. They expect to have the entire network operational before March/April. They hope to have everything up and running in January, but can't guarantee that.
    That should give them enough time to get the system up and running stable before the real cycling season starts. However, a concerted PR campaign can't hurt.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Disagree completely!

It isn't rocket science and it's been done before.

This was originally discussed 3+ yrs ago for Cork. Dublin was 09, Paris 07 - we're supposed to learn from the experience of others....

Launching in mid-December was stupid in the extreme - but because the concept itself is so good, the ineptitude will be glossed over.

May - summer, and September- colleges return, are the optimal launch times.

Advertisement