Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You know things are bad when a 3 point loss is being claimed as an improvement.

Well it was imo. Things are bad, I went up to the match expecting a very one sided affair. Instead the first half showed some fight and determination I haven't seen from Galway in a long time.

Threw it away in the second half (what the hell was with giving away so many frees*) but if Clancy had got that last shot past the keeper. If my Aunt had balls... :pac:

Gah, can't believe that about Meehan.

* let's not get into the ref!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good win for Galway today - 15 mins gone it didn't look good as it was Dubs 0-05 Glaway 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We were lucky enough today. Played fairly average today and a few decisions went our way.

All this without Big Joe, Damo Hayes and the gang.

Where are ye Dubs now?... :P

Have to say it was an awful performance, the half forward line were back to winning nothing, the backs marking was way too loose and there were some very silly frees given away none more so then John Lee's at the end, what on earth was he doing it nearly cost us a goal.

Considering there are a lot of forward slots up for grabs you'd think there'd be more intensity up there, but Dublin came up with ball after ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Very disappointed with today's performance, 20 wides was criminal. Looks like ye'll make the league final now as we'll find it difficult to get anything from the Cats next Saturday in Croker and Cork on the final day might be just beyond us as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Where are ye Dubs now?... :P

Have to say it was an awful performance, the half forward line were back to winning nothing, the backs marking was way too loose and there were some very silly frees given away none more so then John Lee's at the end, what on earth was he doing it nearly cost us a goal.

Considering there are a lot of forward slots up for grabs you'd think there'd be more intensity up there, but Dublin came up with ball after ball.

Were right here ;) don't forget we are building for the future..Galway are a well established side all-ireland contenders and for the dubs to restrict them to only winning by a goal scored in the last minute was pretty good. Also got a lot of decisions today that they might not have gotten against a different team aswell so count yourselfs lucky that you came away with the win today and we'll see yas in the Leinsteir Final :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

We were lucky enough today. Played fairly average today and a few decisions went our way.

All this without Big Joe, Damo Hayes and the gang.

It might be the case that a few decisions went against us, but we also gave away some very stupid frees in scorable positions. If Keaney was on target with a few more of his frees, then Galway would have been beaten out the gate - and deservedly so.

Its good to see the lads are working hard and getting results without Canning etc. so long as they keep up that level of workrate/responsibility for taking scores when he returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Joekers wrote: »
    count yourselfs lucky that you came away with the win today and we'll see yas in the Leinsteir Final :P

We're on the same side of the draw in Leinster so that isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A poor enough game and a poor Galway performance. They seem to be mixing the good with the terrible at the moment. Lucky to come out of this one with a win, but Dublin are emerging as a serious team. Not exactly All-Ireland contenders yet, I think they're short maybe 2 or 3 really top players to win an All-Ireland, but they've progressed now to a level where they're a team to be taken seriously. If we meet them in Leinster this year, as seems likely, we'll be favourites but it will be no easy game that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

It's great to have the club football back again. In case you didn't see the results:
    Dé Sathairn 26/03/2011

County League Division 1A

Corofin 2-11 An Cheathru Rua 1-7
    Moycullen 0-12 Tuam Stars 2-13
    Milltown 1-9 Micheal Breathnach 0-10
    Bearna 3-6 Salthill-Knocknacarra 3-13
    Naomh Anna-Leitir Mor 1-12 Killererin 1-12

County League Division 1B

Killanin 2-8,Claregalway 1-13
    Mountbellew/Moylough 1-11 Caherlistrane 0-10
    St James 1-11 St Michaels 1-10
    Caltra 4-4 Kilkerrin/Clonberne 2-13

County League Division 2A

Athenry 1-9 An Spideal 1-10
    Menlough 0-11 Dunmore McHales 0-8
    Kilconly 4-12,Oughterard 1-14
    Glenamaddy 0-8 Monivea-Abbey 1-11

County League Division 2B

Williamstown - St Kerills - Walkover win for Williamstown
    Corofin 0-11 Ballinasloe 1-10

North Division 3A

St Gabriels 2-6 Cortoon Shamrocks 2-15
    Dé Domhnaigh 27/03/2011

County League Division 1B

Annaghdown 0-10 Cortoon Shamrocks 1-8

County League Division 2A

St Brendans 1-6 Carna Caiseal 3-12

County League Division 2B

Headford 1-11 Caherlistrane 0-9
    Salthill-Knocknacarra 3-11 Oranmore-Maree 0-10
    Oileain Arainn 0-17 Clifden 0-14

North Division 3A

Annaghdown 1-9 Mountbellew/Moylough 2-10
    Claregalway 3-15 Caltra 0-7

North Division 3B

Dunmore McHales 2-14 Corofin 1-10
    Killererin 1-14 Monivea-Abbey 0-5
    Tuam Stars 5-15 Athenry 0-6

West Division 3A

An Fhairche 1-10 An Cheathru Rua 0-5
    Micheal Breathnach 3-17 St Michaels 1-14
    Renvyle 4-19 Southern Gaels 1-5
    Killanin 3-10 Fr Griffins Eire Og 1-12

West Division 3B

Naomh Anna-Leitir Mor 1-17 Na Piarsaigh 0-6 :(
    St James - Oughterard - walkover win for St James

Strange to see two walkovers given at this time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Gutted but you could sense that it would have been too good to be true for our hurlers to go through the league campaign unbeaten until a league final at least.We'll certainly learn from this defeat.On another day some of those 20 wides would go over and we'd take a scalp but yesterday unfortunately it was not to be.

Its quite possible Keaney hasn't fully recovered from the flu just yet but can't rely on excuses like that to justify our loss.

I actually wasn't able to attend the game due to club commitments and I'll be missing next weeks double header again due to club commitments.:(

As for Galway themselves,their luck will run out at some point,more than likely in thwe championship.They proved they are not a one man team and are a very good hurling side but relying on a team misfiring will come back to haunt them.Other top guns like Kilkenny,Tipp and Waterford are pretty good at making their own luck but Galway are in a very strong position to win this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Any word on Michael Meehan since the report last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

i cant decide weather getting to the league final and probably playing KK is a good or bad thing for Galway this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

i cant decide weather getting to the league final and probably playing KK is a good or bad thing for Galway this year
    well it's a national title - when was the last one ye won? In that regard, it can only be a good thing. Continuing the build up to championship, surely it can be seen as better than just training or challenge matches. A win against kk would surely be of benefit a loss is yet more experience of playing them, giving you something more to work on for the next time.
    Getting to a lge final is good - no matter who ye play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    well it's a national title - when was the last one ye won? In that regard, it can only be a good thing. Continuing the build up to championship, surely it can be seen as better than just training or challenge matches. A win against kk would surely be of benefit a loss is yet more experience of playing them, giving you something more to work on for the next time.
    Getting to a lge final is good - no matter who ye play.

Last year against ye i think

Last year against ye i think

totally forgot about that to tell you the truth - I was thinking of '04

come on lads no need for the sniping.

Galway have a good chance of winning the leaague but do we really care about a league title at this stage>? It's an All-Ireland or nothing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll be happy with a Leinster title (which will be difficult to win anyway).

Supermac's to sponser the footballers this year. Anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Supermac's to sponser the footballers this year. Anyone else hear this?

Well i know a bid was put in a good while ago and the footballers took their time accepting it if they haven't until now. They we're obviously looking for a better offer but none has come forth which isn't a surprise judging by recent results. Anyone who wants figures on the amount that was offered PM me.

Knowing how the owner works, i'd say there's a decent chance you could see the Papa John's logo on the football jerseys rather than the Supermacs logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Galway receive Meehan boost

michaelmee.jpg[SIZE=-1]Galway's Michael Meehan[/SIZE]30 March 2011

Under-fire Galway manager Tomas O Flatharta has been boosted by the news that Michael Meehan should be fit for the county's Connacht SFC campaign.

An ankle injury has prevented Meehan from pulling on a Galway jersey since the Connacht championship defeat to Sligo nine months ago.

With the Caltra star no nearer a return to action in recent weeks, when he was effectively ruled out of the county's entire Allianz National League programme, there had been speculation that he would also miss his side's 2011 championship campaign.

But O Flatharta has revealed that his joint-captain has received good news from the medics this week.

Quoted in the Irish Examiner, he said, "It didn't look good for Michael a week ago but, thankfully, after meeting with the surgeon he got good news.

"The surgeon removed some scar tissue that was inhibiting his mobility, so after nine or ten days rest he should be ready to resume his rehab. The Galway manager said there has no chance of Meehan playing in the remainder of the league.

"We cannot put him under too much pressure to come back though. He is a very important player for us and he will need the right time to complete his rehab."

Galway Garda win the senior football final (Medtronic footballers beat them in the Galway senior final :confused::confused:) and Medtronic won the hurling final.

Reports attached.

img-330185045-0001.pdf

So we're winning everything bar what we need to be winning!

Was looking at the lineups for the interfirms hurling final, very strong teams. Medtronic had Iarlaith Tannion, Andy Smith, Kerril Wade, Niall Healy, Conor Kavanagh etc

Forgot Damien Joyce aswell. seriously strong team for an inter-firm competition.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    So we're winning everything bar what we need to be winning!

Another two today, the Connacht for U-21's(aren't they just one from a final now?)

And Loughrea won the Vocational Schools(Hogan Cup equivalent?)

Another two today, the Connacht for U-21's(aren't they just one from a final now?)

Yeah. It's Cork or Kerry in the semi final now as far as I know. Munster final not played yet.

And Loughrea won the Vocational Schools(Hogan Cup equivalent?)

The main Colleges hurling final is the Croke Cup, that would be the Hogan equivalent. The Vocational Schools have their own separate competiton, that's what Loughrea won. Jarlaths are in the Hogan final next weekend, think that's in Croke Park.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Yeah. It's Cork or Kerry in the semi final now as far as I know. Munster final not played yet.

The Vocational Schools have their own separate competiton, that's what Loughrea won.

I know the football lay out all right as it's fairly common to hear but I never really hear about the hurling side of it.

Was actually just looking it up last week online, came to the conclusion from reading the Vocational Schools list of previous winners that it was the main cup(had Athenry, Portumna and Gort on it).

Seems odd that a town as big as Loughrea, coupled with the small hurling spread in Ireland, wouldn't be playing A hurling....:confused:... was there a split before, surely Athenry, Portumna and Gort and Loughrea would all be A in schools hurling year on year?

EDIT: I just read your last line and it clicked in my head.
    A vocational school is the same as a tech?..... so the only school in the city that would qualify would be Moneen... and GTI before it closed I see.
    I'm more familiar with the term a ''tech'' for schools like that, wasn't aware of the Vocational name.
    Was also assuming there was only one college in Loughrea(but from the Crokes winners list it seems a Loughrea school did win it once, assuming that's a second school)

On a related note, the Galway participation in the Crokes cup looks pretty poor, one win is all I see and a few final loses.

Didn't see that coming! That was a beating and a half for ye! And at home aswell!
    4-23 conceeded ..... lots of work to be done after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tipp have some sort of hoodoo over us the last few years.

That being said; there's hoodoo's and theres double score hammerings. This'll be the making or breaking of them I think, McIntyre won't spare the timber in the dressing room after that.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Tipp have some sort of hoodoo over us the last few years.

That being said; there's hoodoo's and theres double score hammerings. This'll be the making or breaking of them I think, McIntyre won't spare the timber in the dressing room after that.

In fairness it's as much his fault as theirs.

We've known for more then a year now that the half forward line can't get anywhere close to breaking even
    It happened as well last week but we got lucky with the wides.

As a cityman who never got the opportunity to play the game, can someone explain the lack of effort to field a ball which is common with a lot of players in the game?....

In football the difference in ability is more to do with bravery, positioning and jumping.
    You seldom see lads in football punching it in a 1v1(especially a forward).

But you can catch the ball in hurling by standing so why do so many of the ''weaker players'' pull on it?... why not make an effort to catch it?
    No more was this shown when O'Donohue while standing free tried to bat it and fluffed it to a Tipp player for an easy point.

Maybe they should send out the half forward line in training without hurls and let them get it out of their heads to stop giving the opposition a 50/50 of picking up the second ball.

We'll get nowhere this year with that line, game after game ball goes up> ball comes back> ball goes over the bar> ball goes back up etc....
    Smyth and Donnallen aside from lack of aerial ability don't have the control off the ground or stick work to compensate for their lack of ball winning ability

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement