Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Billy Walsh it looks like, for the first half anyway

The players probably voted him out at half time ; )

Probably better overall that Corofin went out yesterday.
    The footballers need to progress this year so a full compliment for the league is a bonus.

Really shows the farcical nature of the calender when you're half hoping the club sides are out before Xmas to stop impeding on the County.

Very disappointing to lose to Castlebar again though, who certainly aren't one of the great club sides.
    Both losses with home advantage if I'm not mistaken.

What is I with that Tuam pitch that it always looks like a field with knee deep grass.
    Is it incapable of getting to a professional standard due to its make up?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,372 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The footballers need to progress this year so a full compliment for the league is a bonus.

Wonder how many of them will actually be available though?

There is talk of Sice retiring from intercounty and Lundy heading to the US for 2016. Daithi Burke I presume will concentrate on the hurling again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Anyone inside the county know if rumours of discontent in the football panel are true - I've heard a few stories that they don't have too much faith in Kevin Walsh? If Sice and Lundy are dropping out that might tie in with the rumours that all is not well in that camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I have to say something with regards to the actions of the Galway players towards Anthony Cunningham.Before i start i'd like to emphasize that when it comes to matters like these i am normally a players man.Sure my own county after all have had more disputes than anwhere else with regards to matters like these.But there's something different about this incident that doesn't sit well with me.If Galway had an abysmal year then i would understand it but they reached an All Ireland final.I feel that when you lose an All Ireland final that everyone has to hold their hands up and say that we could have done things better both players and management.Those Galway players when the all Ireland was there for the taking went missing in that second half but instead of accepting their share of responsibility for the defeat they decide to humiliate a great hurling man like Anthony Cunningham and make him the sacrificial lamb for the defeat instead.There is just one word for me that sums up the actions of those Galway players.Cowardly and that's cowardly with a capital c.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

I have to say something with regards to the actions of the Galway players towards Anthony Cunningham.Before i start i'd like to emphasize that when it comes to matters like these i am normally a players man.Sure my own county after all have had more disputes than anwhere else with regards to matters like these.But there's something different about this incident that doesn't sit well with me.If Galway had an abysmal year then i would understand it but they reached an All Ireland final.I feel that when you lose an All Ireland final that everyone has to hold their hands up and say that we could have done things better both players and management.Those Galway players when the all Ireland was there for the taking went missing in that second half but instead of accepting their share of responsibility for the defeat they decide to humiliate a great hurling man like Anthony Cunningham and make him the sacrificial lamb for the defeat instead.There is just one word for me that sums up the actions of those Galway players.Cowardly and that's cowardly with a capital c.

To be fair to them they have not blamed the All-Ireland final defeat on Cunningham. This issue has been festering in the background since early in the year. Possibly even last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

Really shows the farcical nature of the calender when you're half hoping the club sides are out before Xmas to stop impeding on the County.

Very disappointing to lose to Castlebar again though, who certainly aren't one of the great club sides.
    Both losses with home advantage if I'm not mistaken.

What is I with that Tuam pitch that it always looks like a field with knee deep grass.
    Is it incapable of getting to a professional standard due to its make up?.

It's now Corofin will really appreciate what it is to win an AI. Quite an enjoyable, superior standard final yesterday. Corofin looked heavy-legged though and their older players started to show their age. Maybe suffering a bit also from having little serious competition domestically. Pitch certainly fairly grassy but they probably didn't want to cut it too bare after all the heavy rains. Mitchels looked good yesterday and if they maintain this level of performance can have a right run at the title.

How do you know Cunningham is a great hurling man? His record of success as manager is less than stellar and had he been dispensed with after the Waterford league defeat, few within the county would have demurred. Many GAA players these days are educated, savvy people, not indentured forelock-tugging serfs. County panel decided that their best chance of gaining the ultimate honour was in taking the course of action they did, acutely aware of what is going to be leveled at them at every step and turn next year. Courage enough in that, only time will prove if they've been correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The reason it "doesn't sit well" is because sections of the media have decided that it's not right. The media often tends to be pro-manager in these matters and often toes the GAA line. I'm not from Galway so I don't claim to know the ins and outs of what's going on in the hurling team, but in Mayo we had our own fair share of this recently so I've seen what it's like when the players are put in the firing line over disputes that are often more complicated than just "the players are in the wrong and the manager is always right". I've no doubt that there's more to the situation in Galway than just "poor Anthony being unfairly ousted by those pesky players".

And I've said it before, but this word "cowardly" keeps getting thrown around and I don't understand it. There is absolutely nothing "cowardly" about a group of amateur players putting their reputations on the line and opening themselves up to criticism and scrutiny from people who don't know the half of it, all in the name of doing what they believe is right. I honestly don't believe anyone would willingly expose themselves to this mostly harsh and negative attention unless something was seriously amiss within the camp. You can agree or disagree on whether it was time for Cunningham to go or whether he deserved another shot, but there's absolutely nothing cowardly about what the players have done.

Cunningham didn't exactly cover himself in glory with that statement he made after the vote of no confidence either, which would make me suspect there was more to this than meets the eye and the players probably had good reason for doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

MfMan wrote: »
    How do you know Cunningham is a great hurling man? His record of success as manager is less than stellar and had he been dispensed with after the Waterford league defeat, few within the county would have demurred. Many GAA players these days are educated, savvy people, not indentured forelock-tugging serfs. County panel decided that their best chance of gaining the ultimate honour was in taking the course of action they did, acutely aware of what is going to be leveled at them at every step and turn next year. Courage enough in that, only time will prove if they've been correct.

to be fair i think and always taught his football record out weight his hurling one before he was appointed in the first place , he had a far better record then kevin walsh for example

but what ever about that , the county board and cunningham should really have cut there loss's after the all ireland , the two games in the championship this year against kilkenny proved tactically this current galway set up had probably run its course in my opinion,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

This is what happens when players train like pro's but do not get paid. You have players helping to pick managers and helping to dismiss managers. This is not just a Galway issue.
    The problem i have with inter county player committees is that its usually the wrong type of player who ends up on them.

the affects of this player show of power will be felt for a long time in galway, the comment about cloonan especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

I'm surprised at a Corkman making a comment like this. During the disputes in Cork, we heard many comments from misinformed people from other counties when we in Cork knew the CB Official who was and still is, the root cause of most of Cork's problems.

The Galway Players were better positioned than others to judge whether or not they needed better management to succeed.

It's ludicrous to suggest that they were cowards or were trying to blame the manager for the AI defeat.

The vast majority of them lost confidence in Cunningham and he would have been well advised to follow the example of the Mayo Managers and exit without rancour.

The cowardly thing to do would have been to carry on with a set-up doomed to failure and deceive their supporters & families and all who invest so much in Galway Hurling.

Lundy and Duane off to the US for 2016. Both probably going to be playing with New York next year. Can't blame any young lad who wants to travel but not a great sign for Galway football. Doubt you'll see any Mayo lads anywhere near their senior panel taking off to the states.

More bad news for the footballers. Peadar Óg Ó Griofa has done his cruciate for the 3rd time. Expected to miss most of 2016. Have to feel for him.

Forwards going to be really short-staffed next year, with Lundy, O'Griofa gone, maybe Sice. Just don't think Martin and Cummins are up to it, Patrick Sweeney maybe not at championship. Damien Comer not a prolific scorer, Shane Walsh not always in favour with mgmt., Conroy needs to find form and a permanent starting place. Michael Daly will be fast-tracked I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Looks like the footballers are going nowhere fast. Another season closer to division 3 than division 1 I'd imagine. Not the most inspirational panel of players at present and the management have it all to prove after last year.

6 nominations for the hurling job.

John Hardiman
    Mattie Kenny
    Michael Donoghue
    Johnny Kelly
    Gerry McInerney
    Justin Campbell

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭donnem33

6 nominations for the hurling job.

John Hardiman
    Mattie Kenny
    Michael Donoghue
    Johnny Kelly
    Gerry McInerney
    Justin Campbell

Looks like a 3 horse race between Hardiman, Kenny and Donoghue.

My preference would be for Donoghue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

So much for no one being interested in taking on an "unmanageable" team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Why are all the candidates from within Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd be disappointed if McInerney was appointed and turned up to any training sessions before August :pac:

PressRun wrote: »
    So much for no one being interested in taking on an "unmanageable" team.

There'll always be interest regardless of the behind the scenes issues, Galway have a team who aren't far off so there will be always manager who'll feel they can push them on to get over the line. It should be the quality rather than the number of candidates we are focusing on.

For me Mattie Kenny and Johnny Kelly are a definite no. Have seen enough of these two to know they would put us further away from an All-Ireland than ever. John Hardiman is too nice for the job in all honesty, Justin Campbell is probably too early to judge yet, Gerry McInerney is a popular figure but in terms of managing a team who knows.

Micheal Donoghue probably by default is going to get the job. He did well with Clarenbridge. Their final victory in Croke Park was after the first 10 or so minutes an excellent display of hurling. He did ok with Turloughmore but they didn't deliver at all when they did get to the semi-final a few years back. Obviously he's been involved with Tipp, difficult to judge his role there.

Whoever gets it I wish them the best but none of the candidates would fill you with inspiration that next year will be a good one.

Why are all the candidates from within Galway?

Probably because it's cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anybody have any idea who the selectors are? Heard a gas one that Josie Harte is going to in the dressing room full-time this year :pac:

Anybody have any idea who the selectors are? Heard a gas one that Josie Harte is going to in the dressing room full-time this year :pac:

Heard Francis Forde is likely to be one of the selectors. Have also heard Josie Harte which isn't exactly going to inspire confidence of a united camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Is he the father of the player who was taken off against Kilkenny after 20 minutes in final? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Yes. Josie is Aidan Harte's father.
    From Gort. Josie managed County Minor teams early to mid 2000's
    Also occasional pundit with Sean Walsh on GBfm

Francis Forde is one selector anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Well the bookies were right to close the book on this one. Lucky enough to win the county with Clarinbridge, but it is vital to have a lucky manager, and then won All-Ireland after a tight semi. Looking on from the stands it seemed that Tom Helebert had a big role on the line with Clarinbridge, so he is someone who is able to delegate apparently.
    I also heard weeks back that Josie Hart was to be involved, if any truth in that story. I would have gone for Hardiman myself, but thats the opinion of an ordinary hurling fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

gammygils wrote: »
    Yes. Josie is Aidan Harte's father.
    From Gort. Josie managed County Minor teams early to mid 2000's
    Also occasional pundit with Sean Walsh on GBfm

A good man for half time team talks :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement