Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget live thread

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

That you pay something towards these things does not mean you are not receiving value from the State subsidy of them. Would you prefer to drill your own well or go to the UK to university and pay €11,300 instead of €3000?

A quick look on UCD's website shows around €8,000 for a common course where as Oxford University is £9,000 GBP. Seeing as Oxford is much more renowned than UCD (no.1 in Europe on some lists), I know where I would rather go to get value for money.

If the state didn't subsidise Dublin Bus and Dublin Bus had to compete with other operators, we would then see value for money. Right now, it certainly does not represent value for money and is way too expensive for the terrible service provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Most people don't pay fare or pay less than they should. Nobody is ever fined for not having a ticket, at least that's what's my friend, ex DB driver claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Rightwing wrote: »
    But do we need all these 'services' ?
    That’s another argument really, but for the purposes of this discussion, the electorate demands the services, so yes, they are needed (not necessarily something I agree with).

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I think it’s fair to say though that the electorate generally sympathises with the unions. People don’t seem to take issue with “front line” workers being well paid.

Public transport really is crap in this country.
    It really isn't. You want to see brutal public transport, go to Wales.

But anyway, I was referring to Dublin really, where I don’t believe public transport is anywhere near as bad as people like to make out. Sure, it’s not brilliant, but it’s not that bad and I certainly wouldn’t call it expensive. An annual taxsaver bus ticket works out at about €4.70 per day, while an annual commuter rail ticket works out at about €5.15 per day.

I would also say that the national rail service isn’t bad (the rolling stock is generally a hell of a lot better than what we have here in the UK). Sure, it could be faster and some stations leave a lot to be desired, but it’s reasonably good value.

Beyond that, sure, a lot of small towns and cities don’t have much in the way of public transport – I’m not arguing with that.
    People say that if we didn't have Dublin bus, we wouldn't have any transport. I call bull on that. If money is to be made, entrepreneurs will take the risk to make it.
    Which means the profitable routes would be privatised and everyone else would have to go without?

Monife wrote: »
    A quick look on UCD's website shows around €8,000 for a common course where as Oxford University is £9,000 GBP. Seeing as Oxford is much more renowned than UCD (no.1 in Europe on some lists), I know where I would rather go to get value for money.
    Ignoring for a moment your ridiculous comparison, students who qualify for “free fees” will only pay about €2,500 to attend UCD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

zielarz wrote: »
    Most people don't pay fare or pay less than they should. Nobody is ever fined for not having a ticket, at least that's what's my friend, ex DB driver claims.

The amount of people using bus passes is a disgrace IMO...some routes barely have a paying customer in the queue and often passengers wave some sort of photocopied pass knowing the driver wont leave his cabin to challange them.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Ignoring for a moment your ridiculous comparison, students who qualify for “free fees” will only pay about €2,500 to attend UCD.

A family on a more than €40,000 a year (joint income) won't qualify for free fees in Ireland. You can get grants in the UK too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A family on a more than €40,000 a year (joint income) won't qualify for free fees in Ireland. You can get grants in the UK too.
    40k absolute juke, damn them living the high life!!!

A family on a more than €40,000 a year (joint income) won't qualify for free fees in Ireland.
    First I've heard of it - since when?

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    First I've heard of it - since when?

Look at the income limits, the below link says that to be eligible for free fees, your income should be below the grant limits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html#ld1a9a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Look at the income limits, the below link says that to be eligible for free fees, your income should be below the grant limits.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html#ld1a9a

I'm sorry but I think you are incorrect.

The "fee grant" applies if you don't qualify for "Free Fees" they are two different things

The "Free Fees" applies to almost all students and is based on things like residency. There is no means test

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

chopper6 wrote: »
    No...taking handouts isnt my thing.

In this budget, everyone gained a little (if we ignore the upcoming water charges) but some gained more than others. So those who gained relatively little will feel hard done by. Giving something to everyone is a bit stupid when the money has to be borrowed anyway.

Minister Noonan, thanks a lot for the debt but if I wanted to live beyond my means I am perfectly capable of borrowing for myself.

In this budget, everyone gained a little (if we ignore the upcoming water charges) but some gained more than others. .

Yes,the unemployed yet again...and people wih kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I would say the deadwood in the PS were the real winners. Money for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In this budget, everyone gained a little (if we ignore the upcoming water charges) but some gained more than others. So those who gained relatively little will feel hard done by. Giving something to everyone is a bit stupid when the money has to be borrowed anyway.

Minister Noonan, thanks a lot for the debt but if I wanted to live beyond my means I am perfectly capable of borrowing for myself.

they felt the need to give something to everyone so no one felt left out. As I have said before, I think some people think that before all the cuts, we had a perfectly fair system, based on logic and reason etc and now with every cut or increase, we are deviating from that perfect platform of fairness, lads dont try and apply logic to anything here.

I have said it before and I will say it again, what you get here isnt based on merit, its based on how big a hold you have over the government. Whats "fair" about here?

40 odd billion bank bailout, massive private sector layoffs and no compulsory PS ones, the scandalous marginal rate that effects Private and public sector, old being massively sheltered during the downtown at the expense of everyone else. The usual suspects bleeding the system dry for life, while others on low - very modest incomes being taxed to the hilt, have to pay for the roof over their head, are outside the pathetically low cuts off point to qualify for college funds etc for their kids?

Someone who has paid hundreds of thousands into the system who becomes unemployed, getting pretty much the same as someone who has never worked? a couple on 100k between them, paying E271 at the marginal rate of tax alone, i.e. the entire average yearly water charge that we have been fed and getting nothing in return for it?

The reality is and it is very clear, there simply is no party who willing to do more than the bear minimum to try and stay in power, and damage their mates and cronies as little as possible... Look at Kenny recently, I mean we have a guy running the country who cant / wont even debate!!!

Putting Labour in charge of welfare and public sector reform! You could write a book on it...

We didnt get a 25% christmas bonus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

25% of 1/52 is 0.48% even I did better than that

Advertisement