Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuff that doesn't need it's own Thread

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

In-depth: How CloudFlare promises SSL security—without the key

Content delivery network and Web security company CloudFlare has made a name for itself by fending off denial-of-service attacks against its customers large and small. Today, it's launching a new service aimed at winning over the most paranoid of corporate customers. The service is a first step toward doing for network security what Amazon Web Services and other public cloud services have done for application services—replacing on-premises hardware with virtualized services spread across the Internet.

Called Keyless SSL, the new service allows organizations to use CloudFlare’s network of 28 data centers around the world to defend against distributed denial of service attacks on their websites without having to turn over private encryption keys. Keyless SSL breaks the encryption “handshake” at the beginning of a Transport Layer Security (TLS) Web session, passing part of the data back to the organization’s data center for encryption. It then negotiates the session with the returned data and acts as a gateway for authenticated sessions—while still being able to screen out malicious traffic such as denial of service attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

The NSA can hack your typewriter just as easily as a PC - but it probably doesn't need to

A subject very close to my heart since I am currently using a lovely old Olivetti typewriter to send my personal letters and to store some passwords.

The author of the article Matthew Sparkes, rightly points out that although typing letters onto a page can protect you from electronic interception of your correspondence, once the page leaves your home it can be intercepted by other means, such as bribing a courier.

He also mentions the fact that both Russia and the US engaged in radio bugging of typewriters before the switch to computers.

Of course this is only made possible by physical access to the device ; however in this day and age it would be a lot easier to bug a computer than a typewriter in this way.

Also I am told by my Police friends that it's a lot harder to get a warrant to intercept someone's mail versus e-mail, so I'll stick with my humble Olivetti for now.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

A subject very close to my heart since I am currently using a lovely old Olivetti typewriter to send my personal letters and to store some passwords.
    Hows that work?

Is the Hanx writer any good?:P

Apple’s “warrant canary” disappears, suggesting new Patriot Act demands

Middle-School Dropout Codes Clever Chat Program That Foils NSA Spying

NSA Chief: Yes, We Still Have Friends

Look at this one, to late to be trying to make sense of this but I skimmed it, They got all the Census Data (ethnicity), Crime Stats, anonymised (yea, right) 02 Mobile Data and threw an Algorithm at it and were able to predict with 70% accuracy future crime hotspots annnnnd, the Data could be gathered in real-time.

What do they need to get that higher? Expect to be reading about this when it gets leaked in abit when it's up and running.
    In this paper, we present a novel approach to predict crime in a geographic space from multiple data sources, in particular mobile phone and demographic data. The main contribution of the proposed approach lies in using aggregated and anonymized human behavioral data derived from mobile network activity to tackle the crime prediction problem.

While previous research efforts have used either background historical knowledge or offenders' profiling, our findings support the hypothesis that aggregated human behavioral data captured from the mobile network infrastructure, in combination with basic demographic information, can be used to predict crime. In our experimental results with real crime data from London we obtain an accuracy of almost 70% when predicting whether a specific area in the city will be a crime hotspot or not. Moreover, we provide a discussion of the implications of our findings for data-driven crime analysis.
    I put it up over in Big Data Forum aswell, very quiet there though.

Hi RF,

I perhaps should have explained the passwords are stored on paper, not in the typewriter!

A colleague told me about the typewriter App, I'm an Android man but it looks mighty promising!

I've discussed before the system I use for secure passwords whereby I use a line of text from a book plus a remembered phrase but these are just a few passwords for trivial things like iTunes, Second Life and so on.

Didn't know about Apple's warrant canary. Presumably though if you're worried about privacy you couldn't take the risk of using a closed source OS anyway?

This program Ricochet looks very promising, I like how everything is torified and it addresses the metadata issue which has long been in a thorn in the side of supposedly secure chat programs.

The program doesn't support OTR at the moment but it has been pointed out by developers that perfect forward secrecy is something of a moot point when using a Tor hidden service:
    "I don't believe OTR has much to offer here. Encryption, authentication, and forward secrecy are provided by the rendezvous circuit, and if that is broken, there are a variety of issues that another layer of encryption on the raw text of communications won't solve. OTR's other headline benefit is deniability (in that others can forge messages, meaning others can't cryptographically authenticate a transcript after the fact); this is meaningless inside an authenticated connection."

Nevertheless it would be a handy feature to have, particularly as the much vaunted Tor Instant Messaging Bundle seems a little slow to get off the ground.

For now I'm going to stick with Pidgin + OTR over Tor, despite the security concerns surrounding the libpurple library. Oh well, needs must!

What do they need to get that higher? Expect to be reading about this when it gets leaked in abit when it's up and running.
    Seems theirs versions of this active around the place already, in the US of course:rolleyes: (well worth a read this, it's all coming down the line)
    But these early predictive systems are only the start. In years to come, many legal experts speculate, brain scans and DNA analysis could help to identify potential criminals at the young age of three. Some evidence for the approach came in 2009 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: researchers from the US and the UK tested 78 male subjects for different forms of the so-called ‘warrior gene’, which codes for the enzyme monoamine oxidase A (MAOA), a gene that breaks down crucial neurotransmitters in the brain.

One version of MAOA works efficiently; but another version breaks down brain chemicals only sluggishly, and has long been linked to aggression in observational and survey-based studies. Some researchers held that, in war-prone societies, up to two-thirds of individuals had the low-activity gene – versus the more typical percentage of just one-third, found in the more peaceful nations of the world.
    ‘There’s a real risk that the data that gets inputted is biased, or based on stereotype or overgeneralisations based on race and class’, said Hanni Fakhoury, a staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit digital civil liberties organisation in San Francisco. ‘It’s easy to ensnare innocent people into these things. Crooks talk to non-criminals, too, and taking lots of data on some people will inevitably capture information on people who’ve done nothing wrong other than to know someone caught up in the criminal justice system’.

Went without saying really and all the ones above already seem geared toward the not white/poor, when it's white CEO/Leaders/Bankers be they front of house or back room ruining everything.

Exactly How Often Do Police Shoot Unarmed Black Men?

Seems theirs versions of this active around the place already, in the US of course:rolleyes: (well worth a read this)
    Especially the comments!!

Dropbox and Google create Simply Secure, an organization trying to make open source security tools easy to use

Dropbox, Google, and the Open Technology Fund today announced a new organization focused on making open source security tools easier to use. Called Simply Secure, the initiative brings together security researchers with experts in user interaction and design to boost adoption rates for consumer-facing security solutions.

Alot of open source stuff lately.

FBI director worries about encryption on smartphones
    The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is concerned about moves by Apple and Google to include encryption on smartphones, the agency's director said Thursday.

Quick law enforcement access to the contents of smartphones could save lives in some kidnapping and terrorism cases, FBI Director James Comey said in a briefing with some reporters. Comey said he's concerned that smartphone companies are marketing "something expressly to allow people to place themselves beyond the law," according to news reports.

New laws could give ASIO a warrant for the entire internet, jail journalists and whistleblowers

Spy agency ASIO will be given the power to monitor the entire Australian internet and journalists' ability to write about national security will be curtailed when new legislation – expected to pass in the Senate as early as Wednesday – becomes law, academics, media organisations, lawyers, the Greens party and rights groups fear.

Recovering Evidence from SSD Drives in 2014: Understanding TRIM, Garbage Collection and Exclusions

• Advertisement

Check your Mailserver for vulne stuff

The NSA is renting its technology to U.S. companies

Nobodys really reading these. Another post in here after getting it's own thread. Waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I would bet good money that its backdoored.

syklops wrote: »
    I would bet good money that its backdoored.
    I have absolutely no doubt about that :pac:

Looking forward to seeing it taken apart though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,490 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seanux has a nice Irish sounding ring to it :pac:

Scrap the cap!

syklops wrote: »
    At this years DefCon, John Mcafee spoke about many things including the eventful year he had last year but he also spoke about an app he created called DCentral1 which audits the permissions requirements of the apps installed and gives each one a rating. My friend found it interesting that his banking app requires access to his camera.

I recommend installing it and checking what you have. You can tweak the thresholds your self, so its ok if your camera app needs access to your camera, or your gallery app needs access to your SD card, but you can quickly see if your wall paper app is reading your calls.

You can get it from the play store.
    John McAfee has released D-VASIVE, a new app for your smartphone's security

• Advertisement

Gird your loins folks, he's coming....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057316057

Whatsapp getting end to end encryption
    https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

That's a really positive development. I have tried a number of time to get friends onto textsecure and chatsecure. The missus moved to TextSecure and that's about it.
    WhatsApp doing this by default is a super development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 A Little Baby Elephant

Trojan targeting master password of password managers
    Only a matter of time until one of those gets owned.

It's just a keylogger that can figure out when the password manager is being unlocked. It's not breaking the crypto - much easier to bypass it.

This has probably been posted here before but it's a good read Crypto Won't Save You Either - Peter Gutmann

Scrap the cap!

lottery.ie's new online play system falls a bit short of the mark.
    Players who previously had a password in excess of 12 characters will also need to reset their password to be between 8 and 12 characters long.

Why oh why do websites pull crap like this. Unless they're storing the password in plain text (:rolleyes:) it doesn't matter how long the password is, all they have to store is the hash.

Scrap the cap!

Slightly offbeat but some here may find it interesting.

The Face Detection Algorithm Set To Revolutionise Image Search - link via technology review.

and the associated academic paper

It appears you are no longer a face in the crowd, you are <<insert your name>> in the crowd.

catastrophic privacy / data protection issues.

BTW - Would it be worth it to sticky this thread? Just a thought. It took a bit of digging to bring it to the surface.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Slightly offbeat but some here may find it interesting.

The Face Detection Algorithm Set To Revolutionise Image Search - link via technology review.

and the associated academic paper

It appears you are no longer a face in the crowd, you are <<insert your name>> in the crowd.

catastrophic privacy / data protection issues.

Who would actually want that (apart from companies)? Just no. Anyone can take a picture of you and put it online without your permission, labelling you in a completely different level and wouldn't approve of it at all.

Just my 2c

For want of nowhere better to share this. From the Computers & Technology forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057459324

Stalker, Targeted hack, Malware ???????

The cycle of set up account -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service ->etc..... and the 'undesirable' removed from the house a few years previous adds intrigue to the whole thing.

The individual appears to be limited in technical know how and is probably just a web browsing user. A bit of a nightmare for them.

For want of nowhere better to share this. From the Computers & Technology forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057459324

Stalker, Targeted hack, Malware ???????

The cycle of set up account -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service -> account being hacked -> set up new account different service ->etc..... and the 'undesirable' removed from the house a few years previous adds intrigue to the whole thing.

The individual appears to be limited in technical know how and is probably just a web browsing user. A bit of a nightmare for them.

I'd imagine a bit of all three. The undesirable was removed from the house. He/She Installed a RAT with a keylogger, sit back. Monitor communications. Order for new laptop seen in their email account, stalker hides another RAT in the backup folder, so it gets copied to the new laptop.

Its a genuine shame this individual uses considerable skill to basically just f*ck with someone for the hell of it.

• Advertisement

For the dabblers. Tunneling Data and Commands Over DNS to Bypass Firewalls - link

Remember the above?

As spotted on the Development Forum - this appears to be incoming https://letsencrypt.org/

Just ordered sky and when I had to pay for it the girl goes, "Don't call out your credit card numbers, instead dial the numbers on your dial pad".

Apparently its a security mechanism to prevent people who are monitoring the calls, from jotting down the numbers.

Question InfoSec peoples, is this good security, or simply security through obscurity?

Im going with the latter. I've done call monitoring. You get the calls as mp3s. If someone wants to collect credit card numbers, they still will, its just now slightly more difficult.

Didn't start a whole new thread for this, but I thought hearing a few opinions here might be nice.

Also, today is D-Day -2

D for Def Con! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is reading out your card details not pure dodgy??

I've never done it...refuse to deal with a company if that's the only option available from them for whatever reason.

Am I over cautious?

Could that Sky Person not go off on Holiers if you gave them your Card details...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Global spy system ECHELON confirmed at last – by leaked Snowden files

Origins of automated surveillance

Advertisement