Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started in hacking?

Options
  • 28-10-2014 1:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

Its something i've always wanted to do. I don't mean be a script kiddie who uses command prompt to turn off his computer (What a rebel) ... I'm talking about finding and exploiting vulnerabilities in programs and reporting them. Along the lines of a pen tester. Is there any good resources out there to help you get started?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Take the blue pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Knowing the correct forum to ask in would be a start.

The majority of "hackers" are people who have downloaded tools and exploits and designs by other people. The number of people actually hacking and designing such things is a relatively much much smaller group.

As to where to start? I guess learn and fully understand the HTTP and TCP/IP stack - how they function what they do and why - and then move on from there to learn the software that people sit on top of that stack.

But an actual hacker or programmer on here will have to correct my errors there - or expand upon this :)

But this is probably not the best forum. I have asked a few times here how to get into being an assassin who kills for money - and no one has answered that one for me either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I found this video to be very informative tbh, that's where I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

IDencI wrote: »
    Its something i've always wanted to do. I don't mean be a script kiddie who uses command prompt to turn off his computer (What a rebel) ...
    Thanks

I presume you are already capable of this? Other wise, start here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Step 1. Collect Underpants

Step 2 ?????

Step 3. Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

First thing to do is open your command prompt and change the colour to green on black.
    Also make sure to tell everyone at school how cool you are for being a hacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I read this book before I started my college course in Information Security and my pen testing and secure comms modules cover a lot of what was in the book.
    http://goo.gl/DqUSHV

The book alone is enough to get you started, but I'd recommend getting comfortable with Linux commands first. It'll make it easier in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Post these details to become a hacker:
    Visa number:
    Name on card:
    Expiry Date:
    CSV no:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

First step is to come up with a cool username, IDencI is not that. Once you have the name come back and we'll give you step two.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Step 1. Find a Gibson
    Step 2. ?????
    Step 3. Hack it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

minikin wrote: »
    Post these details to become a hacker:
    Visa number:
    Name on card:
    Expiry Date:
    CSV no:

Greetings, friends. Do you wish to be a hacker like me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to hacker dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, hacking is just a dollar away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But this is probably not the best forum. I have asked a few times here how to get into being an assassin who kills for money - and no one has answered that one for me either :)

A) Join a monastary, shave all yer hair off, get a snappy looking black suit (but not a tux) and get a barcode tattooed onto the back of yer head.

B) Become a preteen girl and shack up with some ole French fella after your family gets blown to bits by a corrupt cop who dabbles in a bit of vice

C) Get to know someone who's good for fixing more than just cars, a mechanic of sorts, he must have killed yer old man though...

A) Join a monastary, shave all yer hair off, get a snappy looking black suit (but not a tux) and get a barcode tattooed onto the back of yer head.

B) Become a preteen girl and shack up with some ole French fella after your family gets blown to bits by a corrupt cop who dabbles in a bit of vice

C) Get to know someone who's good for fixing more than just cars, a mechanic of sorts, he must have killed yer old man though...

And I was just going to put an Ad in Buy and Sell somewhere.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Its something i've always wanted to do. I don't mean be a script kiddie who uses command prompt to turn off his computer (What a rebel) ... I'm talking about finding and exploiting vulnerabilities in programs and reporting them. Along the lines of a pen tester. Is there any good resources out there to help you get started?
    Thanks

Follow these steps:

1. Download Backtrack 5
    2. Burn it to DVD
    3. Boot your laptop from the DVD
    4. Execute the airmon commands to show exploitable wifi in your area.
    5. Get a good lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

But an actual hacker or programmer on here will have to correct my errors there - or expand upon this :)
    hopefully not by hacking your boards account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Buy Hacking for Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

if there is someone in your office who you dont like find there computers ip address and keep shutting it down from your computer. there are videos on youtube that show u how to do it. I used to do it to a prick in my class in college.he would say to his mate look at this then boom id shut it offf hahahaaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Download LOIC & HOIC.

You'll be the 1337ist kid out there!! kkthxbai!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Morpork wrote: »
    I read this book before I started my college course in Information Security and my pen testing and secure comms modules cover a lot of what was in the book.
    http://goo.gl/DqUSHV

The book alone is enough to get you started, but I'd recommend getting comfortable with Linux commands first. It'll make it easier in the long run.

Where can I download this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

This site is all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

proper hacking is all about figuring stuff out for yourself and then exploiting weaknesses you discover. If you can't even figure out where to get started then I would suggest that hacking isn't for you. Try learning a new language to make you a better programmer. At least you might get a decent job out of it.

P.S. you will get caught if you attempt something illegal and the old "I'm a white hat hacker" defence won't do you any good whatsoever cause the law doesn't differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read books about, and by, Kevin Mitnick.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

if there is someone in your office who you dont like find there computers ip address and keep shutting it down from your computer. there are videos on youtube that show u how to do it. I used to do it to a prick in my class in college.he would say to his mate look at this then boom id shut it offf hahahaaha

Did this a few times to a guy I worked with. Back in the Windows NT days you could remotely crash any NT machine with a program called "bitchslap"...just type in the IP address and then enter....bang!.. their machine would just go to "Blue Screen of Death". Used to do it now and then to this tosser who would be an hour or two into making a very complex spreadsheet without having saved a thing. Would put on my jacket, hit the enter key and then stroll slowly to the lift, biting my lip trying to stifle the laughter as a stream of expletives coupled with fist pounding on keyboard came from his office. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stock up on floppy disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Use prit stick. cover yourself in luminous paint. jump up and down 5 times and high five a Greek hooker. she has to be Greek for this work then get a rope wrap it around your leg sing the start of "Baba O Reilly" by the who and then jump into a pit of gerbils wearing a mankini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

waraf wrote: »
    proper hacking is all about figuring stuff out for yourself

how do i do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Thanks

Hackers are essentially really good programmers. They develop an in-depth knowledge of how applications, networks etc work and through that understanding they figure out ways of finding and exposing vulnerabilities within same. So, if you want to become a hacker, start by gaining an understanding of the software you want to hack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

Egginacup wrote: »
    Follow these steps:

1. Download Backtrack 5
    2. Burn it to DVD
    3. Boot your laptop from the DVD
    4. Execute the airmon commands to show exploitable wifi in your area.
    5. Get a good lawyer.

Dont you mean kali linux?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

If you are serious, try out the forum below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement