Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an XXS bike?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

lismore7 wrote: »
    Herself headed off yesterday to a bike shop that had a 44cm road bike in stock and it's definately a 44cm bike that's her size...thank god!!

Now that we have the size established, we now have to find a bike.
    The bike she tried was heavy for her and....(ladies amongst you might understand this, cause I don't ???) it wasn't the right colour!!!!:mad:
    She then tried another 44cm bike Cannondale and full carbon (ouch!!)...and sadly loved it BUT....it was already sold and after checking with the bike wholesaler in Dublin, last 1 went out only hours earlier :mad::mad::mad:
    Now all we can do is wait until new season bikes come in, as she now wants a Cannondale same as the one in the shop...
    Oh dear.... I feel my credit card hurting....
    Will still keep looking around, as there must be a 44 sitting in the back of some bike shop, somewhere around this island

Oh boohoo your wife wants an expensive road bike. My wife wouldn't even notice if I changed bikes unless the colour was noticeably different.

A similarly spatially efficient friend got a Triban with 650c wheels in Decathlon. Tubes and tyres are a mare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Have hired super six and synapse (both carbon) and caad10 (aluminium); all made by cannondale. Really lovely bikes.

Which model has she fallen for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought an xxs Ridley Icarus SLS 1006A Frameset 2012 from CRC recently, I am very pleased with the frame. I bought it to build a bike for my wife who is 5'3" but I have ended up using it as a commuter (im 5'5") The frameset cost me €346 I think.
    It weighs 8kg rolling or 9.25kg with pedals, lights, tools, pump etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have hired super six and synapse (both carbon) and caad10 (aluminium); all made by cannondale. Really lovely bikes.

Which model has she fallen for?

Unfortunately I wasn't with her (was out climbing the commeraghs!!) and she didn't make a note of the model... Doh!!
    So we're none the wiser... but it was 44cm and a perfect size and very light which she loved.
    Think it was around €899... not what I had in mind for her 1st road bike
    Mine was a 2nd hand aliminium Trek!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

saw on facebook that the giant shop on long mile road have an ex demo size 43 bike for sale for 400 quid. (no affiliation to the giant store)

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    saw on facebook that the giant shop on long mile road have an ex demo size 43 bike for sale for 400 quid. (no affiliation to the giant store)

Couldn't find it on FB.
    Do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Couldn't find it on FB.
    Do you have a link?

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-GB/contact/

Kinet1c wrote: »

Done thanks!
    Dropped them an email...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Couldn't find it on FB.
    Do you have a link?

15375_10152605917865631_4943247695950131910_n.jpg

this is the bike - i'd say give them a ring in the shop might be the best bet. Ask for Gareth.

lennymc wrote: »

this is the bike - i'd say give them a ring in the shop might be the best bet. Ask for Gareth.

Gave them a ring but Gareth is on hols for a few weeks.
    Anyway I spoke to a guy called Derek, who was quite helpful.
    Bike size is XS and sadly maybe just a tad too high.
    She's looking for an XXS or 44cm and as we're over 2 hours down the road, it's not easy to pop up and try it before deciding.
    She tried out a couple of other XS bikes and they were a small bit large fitting, so she needs an XXS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

saw this, thought of you :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-defy-3-xs-frame/7501543

no connection etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Unfortunately I wasn't with her (was out climbing the commeraghs!!) and she didn't make a note of the model... Doh!!
    So we're none the wiser... but it was 44cm and a perfect size and very light which she loved.
    Think it was around €899... not what I had in mind for her 1st road bike
    Mine was a 2nd hand aliminium Trek!

I dont think it is possible to get a 2014 full carbon cannondale in ireland for €899. At a guess i reckon she tried the synapse 7 sora. Is this it

cannondale-synapse-7-sora-2014-womens-road-bike.jpg

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68877

If you know the size and model you can try the uk online retailers for some remaining 2014 stock. It is such a niche market and rare size you would be very fortunate Otherwise you will have to wait until the 2015 models arrive and hope she likes the new paint jobs.

One other possibility is the synapse 8 claris which is the lower spec entry model

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68883
    cannondale-synapse-claris-womens-14.jpg

It is also worth pointing out that if it is indeed one of the above the geometry of the synapse range is slightly different to the caad 10 and supersix geometry.

I had a quick look on the websites of the major cannondale dealers in the uk and can only find the synapse 8 available in size 44
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannondale-synapse-al-claris-fem-ladies-road-bike-2015-p257997

Even the larger german retailers do not have a 44cm in stock for these two models
    http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/shopware.php/attr_geschlecht,Women/sViewport,slrcat/sPerPage,40/sSlug,cannondale-rennraeder-crosser/sCategory,995/sCoreId,rht8ueq9quu9h8197v1a1in6l5

Found the 2015 synapses listed here so you can see the colour changes.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/cannondale-ladies-road-bikes

Wow cunavalos...you have done some digging for me.
    For that I'm extremely grateful !!
    She can't remember the models she tried and I wasn't with her...

Yes, the size of bike she's looking for is made by very few companies...
    According to 4 different LBS's she's been to, she is a size XXS and seems only Giant and Cannondale (maybe Specialized) do such small sizes and on top of that, they only make just a few due to the rare small size.
    After checking in with these 4 LBSs they all rang their suppliers and all came back the same....all 2014 models in XXS are sold out...
    So looks like we must wait till the new 2015 models come out in October.
    Unless we find one 2nd hand (many thanks "kfod") but sadly we've only come across XS and not XXS.
    To add to the extremely limited sizing...she wants a carbon, as the only 1 she liked (which was sold) was carbon and as a result extremely light and therefore easy for her to handle...as she's a slip of a thing !! :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Evans Cycles have some Specialized carbon bikes in a 44 in stock at the moment if you're willing to order from the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Evans Cycles have some Specialized carbon bikes in a 44 in stock at the moment if you're willing to order from the UK...

This is a great bike, very popular with women of all sizes: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/amira-c2-2014-womens-road-bike-ec053028

My size was sold out earlier in the year, so went with the Tarmac (very little difference between the 2). Shops here may be able to order one in. Ribble is an option for cheaper carbon if you're happy to order online, was very happy with my Sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 claregirl!

I’m 5 foot 1, and had huge problems finding a 44cm bike to test. I finally got to test one in Marrey Bikes in Ballinrobe they had a 44cm Lapierre Audacio which I tested out and bought the 44cm Sensium 200 (carbon).

I’ve since had to get a shorter stem ideally I would like the top tube to be a little shorter I think some of the Specialized bikes have shorter top tubes.

Women’s bikes can have absolutely awful paint jobs, trek were very fond of flowers for a while and pink is very common too! Mind you I did end up having to buy a pink and white bike, at the time I wasn’t too impressed but I quite like it now. Next year’s Sensium model has a nice paint job sorry can't post the URL.

I wish her good luck in her search.

claregirl! wrote: »
    I’m 5 foot 1, and had huge problems finding a 44cm bike to test. I finally got to test one in Marrey Bikes in Ballinrobe they had a 44cm Lapierre Audacio which I tested out and bought the 44cm Sensium 200 (carbon).

I’ve since had to get a shorter stem ideally I would like the top tube to be a little shorter I think some of the Specialized bikes have shorter top tubes.

Women’s bikes can have absolutely awful paint jobs, trek were very fond of flowers for a while and pink is very common too! Mind you I did end up having to buy a pink and white bike, at the time I wasn’t too impressed but I quite like it now. Next year’s Sensium model has a nice paint job sorry can't post the URL.

I wish her good luck in her search.

I'm only guessing here, but a pink bike with flowers might not be quite what she had in mind...
    But thanks for the advice on the Sensium, will check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm five feet tall and would ideally like a 49cm (19") frame, though I've been riding a 20" for years. Best I've found are in Holland, where women's bikes are built to suit women's shape, rather than being cut-down versions of men's bikes. It might be worth a quick weekend in Amsterdam.
    If I had my druthers:
    http://www.gazellebikes.com/collection-bikes/city-bicycles/sporty/2014/chamonix-excellent#advantages

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My wife got hers in the Cycle shop in Virginia Co Cavan. He has no problems getting an XXS frame for her.
    They provide a great service.

Cyclize

http://www.cyclize.ie

Success at last!!
    Got a call from our LBS last night...fair doos...they had located a Giant Avail 3 (end of season stock) in XXS
    Result!!
    I took wifeey down today to LBS, she tried it and Bingo! size perfect (and colour!!) She's finally got her first bike!
    After months of calling rounds LBS's, Boardsie's help and trawling the internet, our olocal LBS managed to track 1 down from God knows where.. :)
    Now my other half is a cycle widow no longer...
    However...I feel my wallet may get lighter as her interets grows :eek:

Told her to get her arse in gear now and start training for the "Ring of Kerry" event next year 0 - 180k in 10 months?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Aah, I love a happy ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Aah, I love a happy ending.

Who doesn't!

Advertisement