Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson Dublin International Film Festival - JDIFF 2015

Options
  • 18-02-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭

Russell Crowe is attending for his film The Water Diviner which he also directs, Price of Desire and A Little Chaos to show too

Any predictions?

I'm thinking maybe Mr Holmes, Chappie, The Gunman, Every Thing Will Be Fine, Song of the Sea and The Cobbler could be shown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Chappie's out before the festival.

Really excited though. Got the season pass for the first time last year and it was just an amazing week of movies. Can safely say I enjoyed all but 2 of the 25 or so I went to see.

Some movies I'd like to see:

Force Majeure
    Fast & Furious 7 (as the surprise film)
    Hard to be a God
    Knight of Cups
    Mommy
    Tale of the Princess Kaguya

But I'm open to stuff I haven't even heard of yet, the joy of the festival to me is going into a film completely blind and having a completely unexpected experience. Like Ida, Blue Ruin and The Reunion for me last year (also 3 years ago a little film called The Raid). Here's hoping that with the later date this year we'll get a few films fresh out of Sundance and Berlin too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't think there's a whole lot of top tier stuff floating around this year that hasn't been released already, or at least due a release very soon after the festival. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence and Princess Kaguya I've been itching to see, though. Tokyo Tribes too, maybe, given it's due a cinema release. I assume Hill of Freedom by Hong-Sang Soo is a given, and inevitably the only opportunity to see it in Ireland. Knight of Cups, yes, but my enthusiasm for that has been tempered by the To The Wonder esque early response :/ (seems Herzog's new film is a bit of a dud too). Horse Money and The Tribe also have gotten quite a bit of buzz, not least in the S&S end of year round up.

The Look of Silence is definitely top of my list of hopefuls though!

Don't have the luxury of time this year so won't be picking up a season pass, but definitely shall make whatever I can, and hopefully a few hidden gems.

I don't really think the later date will make a whole lot of difference to be honest, bar maybe a few Berlinale features appearing on the programme. Still, March is always a little bit less miserable than February ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Be good if Terrence Malick came over for Knight of Cups maybe a special screening of Badlands too

I am hoping also for Child 44

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Be good if Terrence Malick came over for Knight of Cups
    I'd sooner expect aliens to land tbh. ;)

e_e wrote: »
    I'd sooner expect aliens to land tbh. ;)

Yes he does seem a recluse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Sarxos

Song of the Sea is Irish premiering at the Galway Film Fleadh so it's unlikely for JDIFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Galway have Glassland as well, so that's out.
    Any chance of Brooklyn, I wonder?
    Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Galway have Glassland as well, so that's out.
    Any chance of Brooklyn, I wonder?
    Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me?

Galway had Glassland last year so it's quite likely for this year. Brooklyn is possible, but depends on when the distributors plan a release. If they're aiming for late on the year they may not show it.

From the website:

"Jameson Dublin International Film Festival is ecstatic to announce that the legendary actress Julie Andrews will be attending two very special events on the closing day of the Festival. Miss Andrews will participate in an unmissable public interview at the Bord Gáis Energy Theatre and will then close the Festival in tremendous style with the gala screening of the Academy Award winning film The Sound of Music in the Savoy Cinema".

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I suspect the later date has more to do with pulling in any tourists still floating around after the Paddy’s Day festival. If they cared about getting the big festival films they’d move to October, about a week or two after LFF. As it stands, most of JDIFF consists of films that screened at LFF 5 months earlier anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

I'll wait for the program to be released before buying any tickets or passes... Crowe's film might be interesting. But any of the following would make my week:

Ha Yoo's Gangnam Blues
    Tsui Hark's Taking of Tiger Mountain
    Roy Chow's Rise of The Legend
    Sono Sion's Tokyo Tribe
    Takashi Miike's As The Gods Will
    John Woo's The Crossing
    Daniel Lee's Dragon Blade
    Peter Pau's Snow Girl and the Dark Crystal
    Eli Roth's Knock Knock
    The Whissels and Simar's Turbo Kid
    Oliver Hirschbiegel's Elser
    Alexander German's Hard To Be A God
    Billy O'Brien's Scintilla

Just going over The Dissolve's big 2014 Checlist, some I'd like to see at the fest:

Closed Curtain
    The Dance of Reality
    Dear White People
    The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
    A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    Listen Up Philip
    Rosewater
    Why Don't You Play in Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

As it stands, most of JDIFF consists of films that screened at LFF 5 months earlier anyway.

That's not exactly a bad thing though unless you've been to the LFF. I don't care if a festival film is 5 months old or getting a premiere as long as it's good and worth getting a ticket for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cinders87

Is the Gala film at the end open to the Public? If so where can I get tickets?

Tickets for the closing gala will go on sale along with the rest of the festival next Wednesday. I think this is the first time that tickets for a few events (the Russell Crowe film and Q&A, the Julie Andrews public interview) have gone on sale ahead of the rest of the festival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Decuc500 wrote: »
    That's not exactly a bad thing though unless you've been to the LFF. I don't care if a festival film is 5 months old or getting a premiere as long as it's good and worth getting a ticket for.

My point was that if JDIFF was in October it would stand a good chance of getting the same films as LFF. So we'd be getting much the same films 5 months earlier.

LFF itself is showing films that already screened at Sundance and Cannes which means many of the films have been on the festival circuit for a year by the time they reach us. At which point they are just a gloried preview before their theatrical release a few weeks later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah moving a month is solving the wrong problem, and amplifying the main one. The well has begun drying up at that point. While it's certainly nice to see whatever stragglers / obscurities have been denied a full release and are unlikely to (probably JDIFF's most valuable asset at this point), it takes the sheen off the festival's big hitters when they're due a full release within weeks of the festival, compared to the legitimately 'advanced' previews you get at the likes of London.

If I'm being honest, having the gala closing be a screening of the most ubiquitous musical of them all highlights some of the festival's limitations in quite a pronounced way, regardless of whether they have a big guest or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

If I'm being honest, having the gala closing be a screening of the most ubiquitous musical of them all highlights some of the festival's limitations in quite a pronounced way, regardless of whether they have a big guest or not.

But is this really a limitation or part of the film festivals current directive/charm?

These event screenings seem to be happening quite a lot at JDIFF.
    It’s quite a nostalgic celebration of cinema to get enthusiastic fans to share in a screening of a classic movie in the Savoy 1. I’m sure singing will be encouraged. Not really my thing but I’m sure the screening will sell out.

I think the JDIFF prides itself on showcasing as broad a picture of cinema, new and old, as possible. Whether that works or not is probably down to individual tastes.
    As long as there’s a good choice in contemporary cinema I’ll be happy.

There have been far too many reissues at the festival in recent years, something I have complained about before. In a world where many cinemas (the Lighthouse being a perfect example - earning bonus points for screening proper prints too) regularly have re-release screenings, there isn't even a novelty factor anymore.
    Since Julie Andrews is in town, I don't dispute that showing The Sound of Music makes some sense (though personally, Maori Parpins would be a better bet, as it's not seen as often on the big screen), but having it is as the closing gala (and presumably charging the gala screening price) is bordering on laughable, even with Dame Julie introducing it. The film was on in the Lighthouse only a few months ago. Anyone interested in securing a decent seat for the public interview and the film is potentially looking at shelling out the guts of €60.
    Also, I think it's very odd that Aedín Gormley is conducting the interview, someone whose main area of interest is music, not film. I don't dispute that her Lyric FM Saturday show, Movies and Musicals, acts as a cosy crossover between the two, but it's supposed to be a film festival. Yes, Andrews is destined to be remembered more for Maria and Mary Poppins than anything else, but I can see those roles dominating the proceedings, with little room (in relative terms) left for discussing, say, Torn Curtain or Duet for One.

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch..., Force Majeure, A Girl Walks Home at Night, Glassland, Horse Money (director present for that) have made the cut anyway. Haven't seen the full programme yet though.

Alan Rickman and Kenneth Branagh are the big guest names. Ryan O Neal too and a Savoy screening of Barry Lyndon.

• Advertisement

Cinderella, A Little Chaos, The Water Diviner, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, The Falling, Tana Bana, Glassland, Horse Money, Sorrow and Joy, The Price Of Desire, What’s Up Doc?, Barry Lyndon, The New Girlfriend, Cloud of Sils Maria, A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence, The Salt of The Earth, I Can Quit Whenever I Want, Phoenix, Difret, Blind, The Salvation, The Quiet Roar, Silent Heart, Something Must Break, When Animals Dream, Force Majeure, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Miss Julie, While We’re Young, Glassland, Let Us Prey, Tana Bana, The Canal, From The Dark, Dare to be Wild, The Road Within, The Last Man On The Moon, Red Army, The Decent One, Wheel of Fortune: The Story and Legacy of the Fairview Lion Tamer, In Cold Blood, Muriel’s Wedding, Partie de Campagne, Meet Monica Velour, The Americanisation of Emily, The Crowd

http://www.scannain.com/irish/jdiff-2015-announcments

What's Up, Doc? on the big screen!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭peeps78

Yes Force Majeure!
    I love Whats up, Doc? but dont think i'l be shelling out to go see it on the big screen.
    now to put my surprise film thinking cap on.

I've never seen it in the cinema. It may have once been on in the IFI as part of a Bogdanovich retrospective, but it's very possible that it's not been shown here since its original release.

Julie Andrews, Ryan O’Neal, Danny Huston, Kim Cattrall, Vincent Perez, Orla Brady, Jack Reynor, Robbie Sheehan, Kenneth Branagh, Alan Rickman and Russell Crowe all to attend

... and Jan Harlan. He knows where the bodies are buried. :)

Just booked 26 films with my season ticket. :D

Very pleased with the program myself. I squeaked with joy when I saw Princess Kaguya was playing especially since it wasn't even mentioned at the briefing this morning.

Annnnddd the website has imploded :pac:

Actually think priority booking might be the best benefit of the season pass, had two years without this nonsense.

I got an error message after I confirmed my tickets, but then a confirmation e-mail arrived, so that'll do me.
    The Salvation clashes with The Water Diviner. Pity.

• Advertisement

Yeah got that error too, I muttered aloud when I saw it but the email arrived at least.

The Tribe clashing with Horse Money is the most grievous clash I found :(

Generally underwhelmed with the films, only five films booked based on an anxious first perusal. Sadly going to have to give A Pigeon Sitting on a Branch... a miss as I'll likely only be able to wrangle one weekend day off, and not worth the hassle for a film out a month later.

Advertisement