Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Sniper - Bradley Cooper - Clint Eastwood Dir

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

" A good man has always gotta know HIS LIMITATIONS....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Don't know why I expected something more subversive, the trailer had the best scene in the film... minus the killing of the loveable scamp with the grenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

John Wayne in the Green Berets, after film was realised, the green berets were disgraced for dropping prisoners of war in Vietnam out of helicopters to their deaths.

Stallone what can anyone say about that clown in Afghanistan.

This murderous spoof will go the same route.

One more point they had Superman when people liked to look at kids movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

GBXI wrote: »
    Excellent film.

Gimme this over Boyhood or Foxcatcher any day!

Go watch whiplash. Come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

dashdoll wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this. I can definitely see why people would view it as pro war but I think that it clearly shows the realities of young people going to war and that a lot of young men who enlisted after 9.11 probably didnt realise what they were letting themselves in for and were a little naive about the whole thing.

Thought Bradley Cooper was brilliant in it but I think it might be a little too controversial for the Academy to award him for this film.

Anyway, I saw this in the cinema last night (in Ireland) and when it ended as it shows
    the footage from Chris Kyle's funeral
    , there was a huge round of applause from the audience. I had never experienced that in a cinema in Ireland before...I assume this is probably happening a lot at screenings in the US for patriotic reasons but was a little stunned to see it happen here.

Glad to hear that...made me happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dashdoll wrote: »
    Anyway, I saw this in the cinema last night (in Ireland) and when it ended as it shows
    the footage from Chris Kyle's funeral
    , there was a huge round of applause from the audience. I had never experienced that in a cinema in Ireland before...I assume this is probably happening a lot at screenings in the US for patriotic reasons but was a little stunned to see it happen here.

That's interesting.

The only time I seen an audience applaud in Ireland was at the end of Richard Attenborough's Cry Freedom.

Is this the most polarising movie ever?
    I absolutely hated it...detested it...and then I read that people applauded it in the cinema?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I don't see the US propaganda that people talk about this movie showing at all. Just shows the mentality behind war, and the Iraqi war in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

One of the worst films I've seen in a longtime, after also recently watching Nightcrawler, Whiplash and Birdman this doesn't even come close to their level. Garbage

One of the worst films I've seen in a longtime, after also recently watching Nightcrawler, Whiplash and Birdman this doesn't even come close to their level. Garbage

My thoughts exactly. I can't understand why it's been nominated for best picture. Compared to the films mentioned above its absolute drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Was only seeing this out of curiousity today tbh, but it really surprised me in a good way!
    Loved the story, the balance between both aspects, the no holds barred approach to the war scenes etc, definitly worth a watch!!!

Also Bradley Cooper, when did he get soooo buff!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

GBXI wrote: »
    Excellent film.

Gimme this over Boyhood or Foxcatcher any day!

I give you that over Foxcatcher, imho dreary and overtly loooooonnnnggg with not a lot happening really, but Boyhood was awesome!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Lets not get into the debate about whether boyhood was good or not again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Enjoyed it. The actual war side of things really lacked a good story but I think Cooper did well at portraying the bigger side of the story. The end caught me by surprise, I hadn't known the true story going into it.

Definitely a 6.5/7 out of 10 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Is this the most polarising movie ever?
    I absolutely hated it...detested it...and then I read that people applauded it in the cinema?

Probably the same people also applaud when a Ryanair plane lands without crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Err.......

Still possible spoiler alert...........................

He picked people with PTSD............................................

Mental health issues..................................................................

And gave them guns...................................................................................

And it didn't work out well........................................................................................

Err......................................................................................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

dresden8 wrote: »
    Err.......

Mental health issues..................................................................

And gave them guns...................................................................................

And it didn't work out well........................................................................................

Err......................................................................................................................................

There's a "Let's All Laugh At People With Depression" thread in After Hours. You'll be at home there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Solid stuff from Eastwood which made me feel good, Bradley Cooper was excellent in his role and deserve the Oscar nod, he captured a true hero at work. Lots of American flag waving and the bad guys get smoked on their own turf. Justice served!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Solid stuff from Eastwood which made me feel good, Bradley Cooper was excellent in his role and deserve the Oscar nod, he captured a true hero at work. Lots of American flag waving and the bad guys get smoked on their own turf. Justice served!

Must check out Audie Murphy's opinion of snipers in "To hell and back".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

AS is now the biggest ever film in the North American market that is NOT a "franchise" release. It'll be 200m by Monday morning.

This is pretty remarkable in itself - its R rated, its by an 84 year old, its not obvious box office material really and it shows just how Marvel/DC/Superhero type guff is dominating every aspect of Hollywood and the cinema market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

That's interesting.

The only time I seen an audience applaud in Ireland was at the end of Richard Attenborough's Cry Freedom.

Now there's a movie that deserves to be praised.
    This is propaganda, regardless of whether those involved/reviewers say about it. Anyone who kills 164 (number might not be right) people the way he did is psychotic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil, please. Have had to delete some posts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

AS is now the biggest ever film in the North American market that is NOT a "franchise" release. It'll be 200m by Monday morning.

This is pretty remarkable in itself - its R rated, its by an 84 year old, its not obvious box office material really and it shows just how Marvel/DC/Superhero type guff is dominating every aspect of Hollywood and the cinema market.

In America it's a very obvious box office film. The really high numbers are a bit surprising but it's hardly a complete outside type of film to do well. Eastwood is good director but a lot of his films leave me a bit cold, it's like whatever point he's trying to say or tale he's telling, he has to make sure it's in your face at every available opportunity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I really liked the movie.

When watching I was thing to myself that this is just Hurt Locker with a sniper. But after watching in full and reflecting, it's much broader than HL.

I didn't really get the sense of 'Murica that people are talking about, of course the country you are fighting for is the one you are going to represent.
    The one thing that did irk me was how quickly after
    entering the therapists office, he had him out of the office and down with the amputees. That's some quick diagnosis.

Obviously not a big part of the movie and didn't need much attention for the story, but something which just grinded my gears a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

Went to this last night, great film. Somebody started clapping in the cinema I was in as the funeral footage was shown, nobody joined in!

Will pick this up on blue ray in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Go watch whiplash. Come back.

It's on my list, I can only spend so much time in the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Seen this yesterday, and I have to say I enjoyed it. No one clapped at the end thank God (last time that happened when I was in a cinema was at the end of Braveheart in the Savoy in '95)

I thought Bradley Cooper was excellent in his role as Chris Kyle, he has come a long way from his Hangover days that’s for sure.

I can understand the backlash in relation to the whole thing being a propaganda movie for the US armed forces, but I kind of expected it would be given that it’s about the US military's most deadliest sniper and it was being directed by Clint Eastwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dresden8 wrote: »
    Err.......

If I was bothered/thin skinned I'd take offense at that, but I'm neither.. I was diagnosed with PTSD after combat experience in 1989 and I've regularly worked with weapons since, its worked out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

CPSW wrote: »
    I can understand the backlash in relation to the whole thing being a propaganda movie for the US armed forces,.

...but there is no backlash, the film is a huge success worldwide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 milkjunkie90

going tonight to see this one. 72% on rotten tomatoes so it should be good

Advertisement