Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what's the difference between an inhuman and a mutant ???

didn't quite get into The inhumane tv show

... I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

what's the difference between an inhuman and a mutant ???

didn't quite get into The inhumane tv show

AoS actually introduced inhumans and have dealt with their history a lot more than the inhuman show.

They are very similar and the MCU thus far (aside from the royal family aspect in the inhuman show) have used inhumans as they didnt have the rights for mutants to give the general human population powers.

Both mutants and inhumans have the potential for powers in their genes but mutants gain theirs while under great stress or puberty while inhumans need to be exposed to a terrigen crystal to go through terrigenisis and gain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I think that can work for Cap and at a push Thor , but no one can replace Tony Stark and still be Iron Man , same if they ever decided to replace the Hulk

They replaced hulk in the MCU once already :)

And war machine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No one is irreplaceable though, even RDJ. In the comics characters are constantly dying/being replaced, or there's more than one hero using the same title/costume. There's what, 3 spider-man(s) right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ah yeh, but RDJ IS Stark. Absolutely owns that role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No one is irreplaceable though, even RDJ. In the comics characters are constantly dying/being replaced, or there's more than one hero using the same title/costume. There's what, 3 spider-man(s) right now?

That might work for the comics but the movie going audience is a different kettle of fish.

Bacchus wrote: »
    That might work for the comics but the movie going audience is a different kettle of fish.

If they replaced the actor playing Kirk, they can replace RDJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Interestingly though if they were going to do the multiverse thing that could explain say another Tony Stark, Like an Iron Man from another universe coming in , that would be one way to retire RDJ and keep the character going .

But in saying that say RDJ is killed in Infinity War theres no way people would instantly accept another Tony Stark

If they replaced the actor playing Kirk, they can replace RDJ

Different situation entirely. Star Trek has its core fanbase and doesn't have great penetration beyond that. The jazzed up 2009 edition won over some casual viewers with its high octane action but core fans were initially uneasy about seeing Kirk, Spock and co being recast (and many still do not enjoy these portrayals). For Trek fans, it was also better than no Trek at all.

With the MCU, you have a franchise with broad appeal that reaches far beyond the comic book readers. So, to start recasting major roles or 'uncovering long lost children' to carry on the role would erode much of the good will the franchise enjoys. Comic book fans are used to that stuff, not your average punter. It would be a serious indicator to general audiences that the MCU is running out of ideas and getting repetitive.

Also, they recast Kirk and co. in a soft reboot movie nearly 20 years after the last major outing of the previous cast. Completely different to recasting in a currently active universe.

It can work with specific characters. The power of Thor could be passed on. Winter Soldier could take on the mantle of Captain America. Hulk is a CGI creation and Banner could be largely left behind in the narrative. Iron Man though is Tony Stark. How do you find a character to step into his playboy genius shoes and carry on as Iron Man? If its just a guy using his tech (like War Machine) then it becomes a fraction of the character before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,899 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RDJ worked so well as Tony Stark because he basically was a Tony Stark in real life the fcuked up playboy version.

Now thanks to playing Tony Stark for a decade he is probably as rich as him now.

It would be near impossible to find an actor so fcuked up to pull it off as well when RDJ steps down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

imagine the reveal trailer for xmen In the MCU

'we see the Avengers or another superhero looking starting at a mysterious figure and it's says hello my name is Professor Charles Xavier'

yes yes yes

I doubt you'd get Patrick Stewart back for that role though, if you even wanted to try and integrate those universes (I wouldn't if it was my decision) and that role has gotta be super hard to recast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This if they do get X-men we'll see it in a reboot in a new continuity.

If they wanted to do something with the current batch from both, they could do worse than secret wars (or better as Secret wars wasn't great). Normal inter-dimensional shin dig caused by a slightly different to his comic original kang the conqueror.

Or just re-do the X-men in the current MCU continuity, Mutants being the natural evolution of the potential humans had that artificially gave rise to Inhumans. How many of the current Fox film actors would you want to carry over, or would at this stage. Deadpool could be carried over as is as they didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the X-men stuff (they even had a off brand helicarrier), none of the rest is worth saving and they've already reset their own continuity already.

5474eb80d8198.jpg
    imagine the reveal trailer for xmen In the MCU

'we see the Avengers or another superhero looking starting at a mysterious figure and it's says hello my name is Professor Charles Xavier'

yes yes yes

Would prefer Deadpool actually acknowledging it.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Different situation entirely. Star Trek has its core fanbase and doesn't have great penetration beyond that. The jazzed up 2009 edition won over some casual viewers with its high octane action but core fans were initially uneasy about seeing Kirk, Spock and co being recast (and many still do not enjoy these portrayals). For Trek fans, it was also better than no Trek at all.

With the MCU, you have a franchise with broad appeal that reaches far beyond the comic book readers. So, to start recasting major roles or 'uncovering long lost children' to carry on the role would erode much of the good will the franchise enjoys. Comic book fans are used to that stuff, not your average punter. It would be a serious indicator to general audiences that the MCU is running out of ideas and getting repetitive.

Also, they recast Kirk and co. in a soft reboot movie nearly 20 years after the last major outing of the previous cast. Completely different to recasting in a currently active universe.

It can work with specific characters. The power of Thor could be passed on. Winter Soldier could take on the mantle of Captain America. Hulk is a CGI creation and Banner could be largely left behind in the narrative. Iron Man though is Tony Stark. How do you find a character to step into his playboy genius shoes and carry on as Iron Man? If its just a guy using his tech (like War Machine) then it becomes a fraction of the character before.

Hi I'm Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney
    Now I am Christian Bale, wait now I'm Ben Affleck

Merry Christmas from all the James Bonds

No actor is irreplaceable, entire Xmen cast was changed FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I doubt you'd get Patrick Stewart back for that role though, if you even wanted to try and integrate those universes (I wouldn't if it was my decision) and that role has gotta be super hard to recast.

Be easier to get James mcavoy but then the timeline will be messed up.... then again X-men is known for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cast aside all previous X-Men actors (except Deadpool) and cast new people in the roles. Start afresh (except Deadpool).

God I hope Disney stay the fcuk away from Deadpool and don't turn him into Disneypool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I think Pedro Pascal would make a great Tony Stark.

Replacing Cap will be harder. Chris Evans is excellent in that role.

Also, all the new actors will inevitably be really young which would kinda turn me off the whole second phase of recasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God I hope Disney stay the fcuk away from Deadpool and don't turn him into Disneypool.

I nearly imagine Disney would keep 20th Century Fox (or possibly rename it) and still release movies under that umbrella that wouldn't be suitable for Disney films. Deadpool and maybe the entire X-Men set of films could stay under that studio but Disney would still have the rights then to cross-over between them whenever they wanted.

Hi I'm Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney
    Now I am Christian Bale, wait now I'm Ben Affleck

Merry Christmas from all the James Bonds

No actor is irreplaceable, entire Xmen cast was changed FFS

Cause the Batman recasts went soooo well. Bale was a good 10 years after Clooney and set in a separate continuity with a completely different take on Batman.

James Bond is an oddity all of it's own, kinda like Dr. Who. It's part of the culture to replace have new actors take on the role.

The X-Men recast was worked in as a prequel and done quite well given the continuity problems there.

The MCU is still a separate situation to those. If it descends into comic tropes of bringing back characters, recasting them or finding convenient relatives to try fill the boots of the likes of RDJ, it will damage the image of the MCU.

As I mentioned above though, there are some characters where they could do it right. I just think Iron Man is one of those irreplaceable characters/actors when we're staying within the same continuity.

• Advertisement

Sure Iron Man can become Iron Woman and Tony can become Toni.

RiRi-Williams-Ironheart.png

As rumors abound about Disney buying Fox, there’s one question on everyone’s mind: how many people are going to get laid off due to this deal?

Also: does this mean that Fox’s Marvel properties will find their way into the MCU? Fox owns the rights to the X-Men, a fact that no doubt sticks in the craw of many a MCU purist. If this deal happens, would the X-Men be able to be part of the MCU? Marvel Studios head honcho Kevin Feige certainly hopes so. Below, Feige reveals how eager he is to have the X-Men in the MCU.

By now, you’ve likely heard about the possible Disney-Fox deal that could very possibly unite Fox’s Marvel properties with Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe. So has Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, who recently said he’s “eager” to bring together Fox’s X-Men with the MCU, at least according to a new report from Deadline. Per the Deadline story, Kevin Feige is “eager to get his hands on the X-Men universe…and cross-pollinate the rich swarm of characters with the existing Marvel franchise heroes who show up in each other’s films.” Which means Feige and those he works with have likely been discussing plans to turn this into a reality when and if the deal happens.

http://www.slashfilm.com/marvel-studios-president-kevin-feige-is-eager-to-have-x-men-in-the-mcu/

I assume there's already some form of plan at Marvel for this and has been for some time? Since these talks presumably started a while ago, and even before that I imagine there was a rough idea of how you'd integrate the x-men in the MCU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Comparing the recasting of Batman in what are clearly different takes on the character (with the exception of Forever and Batman and Robin) with replacing Stark who has been played by the same actor in multiple appearances in the same universe over the last decade is silly.

On introducing the x-men I remember reading a good theory about mutants being evolutions response to super powered beings and earth constantly being under threat. It’s a good idea but obviously wouldn’t work given the timespan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Easy way around it would be to introduce a multiverse but that wouldn't be my preferred option.

They could introduce a vehicle where the mutant gene is "triggered" by some cataclysmic event. That way you wouldn't have to explain why Magneto has been quiet for all this time.

Actually, funnily enough Apocalypse would be the perfect vehicle to introduce such a story.

Or just not bring the Xmen in at all.

The Fantastic Four are easily done but the Xmen will crowd any universe. They're too numerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Easy way around it would be to introduce a multiverse but that wouldn't be my preferred option.

They could introduce a vehicle where the mutant gene is "triggered" by some cataclysmic event. That way you wouldn't have to explain why Magneto has been quiet for all this time.

Actually, funnily enough Apocalypse would be the perfect vehicle to introduce such a story.

I think you could both have a big event that triggers an increased rate of mutants appearing while also having older mutants who got their powers years ago but stayed just under the radar enough to avoid widespread public attention. These could have their backstories intertwined with the current MCU like Capt being involved in freeing Magnetos camp or Wolverine part of an extension of the super soldier program.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd simply make a film that shows mutants have always been there, but their existence has been hidden by SHIELD. With them weakened, suddenly they appear to the horror of the mass public, still dealing with Sokovia.

Keep the actors you want, chuck the ones you don't, imply they're the same or similar characters but specifically show parts to contradict what you don't want to keep.

Seeing as even in the comics the X-Universe is more or less a side story to itself, I'd love to think some of the creatives could keep their jobs. Let them have a different flavour to their films, and cross over as needed.

• Advertisement

Seeing as even in the comics the X-Universe is more or less a side story to itself, I'd love to think some of the creatives could keep their jobs. Let them have a different flavour to their films, and cross over as needed.

I think the Netflix series have shown that Marvel have no issues with going R or adult themes when they have the right characters. They are unlikely to take those turns at a blockbuster level or with their star characters. I can't blame them for this and I actually wouldn't want them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Just have the mutants hidden by Professor X he used his mind powers to hide every mutant on earth but one day he disappears with mutants suddenly revealed to the world and the X Men need to find him and earn the trust of a world that is suspicious of mutants and fears them.

It's easy enough to bring X-Men and FF universes in if they want.

Xavier's school for the gifted can already be here protecting mutants and after Thanos appears more and more mutants start to appear from the aftereffects of his invasion leading to them being seen by the world as Professor X leads his team to help with the clean up after Thanos.

The FF universe can be created by sending some experts into space to explore the after effects of Thanos arrival only to be exposed to something from that and transforms them into the FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd simply make a film that shows mutants have always been there, but their existence has been hidden by SHIELD. With them weakened, suddenly they appear to the horror of the mass public, still dealing with Sokovia.

Keep the actors you want, chuck the ones you don't, imply they're the same or similar characters but specifically show parts to contradict what you don't want to keep.

The only character I want carried over from the Fox Universe, and I think most will agree with me, is Deadpool because his fourth wall smashing humour could definitely work and they'd be able to riff on the switch. Aside from they need to restart and recast everyone because the Fox continuity is a mess.

That said I don't see why the movies that Fox have in development couldn't be reworked to fit the MCU, like Channing Tatum's Gambit film or James Franco's Multiple Man. I'll be interested to see what will happen to Simon Kinberg, he's been Fox's equivalent to Feige for quite a while now and is directing Dark Phoenix.

Disney has such an inside track on reaching a $60 billion-plus deal to acquire key entertainment and sports assets from 21st Century Fox that Comcast has formally exited the chase.

Comcast said Monday it was “no longer” looking at Fox’s film and TV studio and other assets as acquisition targets. The cable giant had yet to comment on its interest in Fox prior to Monday’s statement. But with Hollywood abuzz of a Disney-Fox deal coming down within the next few days, Comcast made a point of getting the first word in on its effort.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-21st-century-fox-comcast-sale-out-1202636618/

It's going ahead and will cost Disney $52 billion.

• Advertisement

Yeah but Fox only owns distribution rights to Fantastic Four, how is that going to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yeah but Fox only owns distribution rights to Fantastic Four, how is that going to work?

What?

Varik wrote: »
    What?

Constatin (have I spelt that right?) have the FF distribution rights.

They will offer them to Disney for a fortune no doubt.

I don't care about the X-Men coming into the MCU (rather they didn't) but the Four would fit brilliantly into the Ragnarok/Guardians style

• Advertisement

I think its inevitable they all will, but I really hope they don't rush it and shoehorn them in for the sake of having them.

pretty exciting but will mean my Xmen DVD collection will be worthless as they prob reboot the whole Xmen franchise but ya never knw

just have too wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pretty exciting but will mean my Xmen DVD collection will be worthless as they prob reboot the whole Xmen franchise but ya never knw

I feel your pain. Have the full collection and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Really is a momentous occasion. I remember being on various boards throughout the years talking about how this was an impossibility. Never in a million years would I have thought the Marvel Family would become (more or less) whole again.

Whatever about the concern about Disney dominating 40% of the box office now, it's a day to remember for comic book fans.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pjohnson wrote: »
    I feel your pain. Have the full collection and all

Lads, they're not going to take them off you :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Lads, they're not going to take them off you :pac:

I can add them too the Toby Mcguire Spider man and Amazing Spider man collection row lol. In fairness Nolans Batman series is much different to the new DC universe

I'm in favour of them rebooting the X-Men Franchise. I think the current bunch of younger X-Men are ruddy awful and can't hold a candle at all to their predecessors.

Really is a momentous occasion. I remember being on various boards throughout the years talking about how this was an impossibility. Never in a million years would I have thought the Marvel Family would become (more or less) whole again.

Whatever about the concern about Disney dominating 40% of the box office now, it's a day to remember for comic book fans.

The also have taken the majority share in Hulu and both Sky TV here and Europe Star TV in India along with FX and National Geographic channels in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm in favour of them rebooting the X-Men Franchise. I think the current bunch of younger X-Men are ruddy awful and can't hold a candle at all to their predecessors.

Deadpool, New Mutants, X Force all being cancelled or Disneyfied would be depressing. Generally mutant teams aren't overly reliant on The Avengers so can easily hold their own. The X-Verse has already used alternate timelines anyway so they dont particularly need to be mashed into the MCU. Only a miniscule fraction of mutants would make it to the MCU.

Theres a reason there is more X-Titles than Avengers books.

If this affects Ryan Reynolds deadpool it's a disaster it does not neccisarily fit the Disney image

• Advertisement
Advertisement