Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birdman (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads, please help. I ****ing despised this film. Explain to me what I missed.
    This went over my head - its more of an arty type movie. I didnt really get it.
    Have to agree with you folks.
    First I thought that it was just me that didn't get it.
    Has to be one of the more over rated films of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mc Love wrote: »
    This went over my head - its more of an arty type movie. I didnt really get it.

Were you expecting a superhero movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Has to be one of the more over rated films of recent times.
    Because you didn't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

Saw this a couple of weeks ago, right when it came out. Thought it was crazy good. I was particularly astonished by the technical feat of shooting everything so as to create a seemingly uninterrupted tracking shot of over 90 minutes. What's great is that the script actually warrants this directing strategy, and allows the film maker to play with metafictional elements to reflect on various aspects of the stage actors, cinema, and so on.

That's not even mentioning the insane performances from the cast, especially Keaton and Norton, and the almost exclusively drummy soundtrack. Defo one of the best so far, and hard to top in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Saw this in Cineworld last night

The trailer is very misleading and I feel might make people dislike this film more than they should

I thought it was brilliant, the acting was superb, Norton in particular and also Keaton, delighted to see him get a decent role as he is usually good in anything he is in

The one take nature of it and the soundtrack were also fascinating and enhanced the whole feel of the movie

Loved the commentary on movie stars and theatre and the snobbishness of it all, lots of themes explored and exposed

Not everyone's cup of tea certainly but it had me from start to finish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'm surprised that people are finding this impenetrable tbh. It's such a work of pure entertainment with so much going on from scene to scene and if you come to the conclusion that Birdman is Riggan's fantasy the only part that's even the slightest bit ambiguous is the final shot. It's a brilliant ending too because Inarritu hands you a piece of the puzzle that does not click with the rest, leaving you with an emotional conclusion that's satisfying but also something to really consider after leaving the cinema. It's like Inarritu building this amazing machine and then throwing a spanner in the works at the end. :)

re the end
    she wasn't looking at flying 'Michael Keaton' at the end so what was she looking at
    I don't think she's literally
    seeing him flying it's more that she sees her father's commitment to his art and the respect he has achieved.

Martha_Mae wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that the IMC chose a film like that! Their selection of movies is usually....let's say not the best..

If referring to the IMC cinema chain then you are talking utter garbage, they regularly schedule a lot of left field fare and have seasons dedicated to the work of actors and directors. There are two cinemas in Galway city, one is an independently run one and boasts about it's Art Screen and the other is an IMC cinema. One of them shows a lot of foreign cinema, art house fare and smaller independent films, the other gets in the odd thing but is happier to show Mrs Brown's Boys on 3 screens. I'll let you guess which is which/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Skerries wrote: »

Jimmy Fallon! Stop laughing through the skits!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

If referring to the IMC cinema chain then you are talking utter garbage, they regularly schedule a lot of left field fare and have seasons dedicated to the work of actors and directors. There are two cinemas in Galway city, one is an independently run one and boasts about it's Art Screen and the other is an IMC cinema. One of them shows a lot of foreign cinema, art house fare and smaller independent films, the other gets in the odd thing but is happier to show Mrs Brown's Boys on 3 screens. I'll let you guess which is which/
    I wouldn't say one's significantly better than the other overall, but the IMC has probably had a few more exclusives I wanted to see than the Eye and does at least try with seasons and the like so imo the notion that the Eye is somehow more refined is utter garbage alright (I'm ignoring those ballet and gallery screening things they do, the audience they attract has been enough to make me not even remotely curious about them to be honest). Pretty sure they've renamed the "Art Screen" (i.e. smallest screen) to "Screen 9" recently though so at least they're acknowledging it.

No clue about other IMC's beyond the Screen Cinema in Dublin, which has had pretty decent selections the few times I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Brilliant film with a brilliant lead performance from Keaton, I hope he gets the Oscar. The film is a breath of fresh air in a medium dominated by the amount of coverage comic book movies get, and the film really shoves this in the viewers face 'hey don't make an arty Broadway show, just make another Birdman sequel' it practically spills out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not sure what to make of this film. Something about Keaton doesn't sit right with me, I can't put my finger on it. I did think Edward Norton was very good, though. The strongest part of the film is the photography and editing, I did really like the unique format and I'm glad the cinematographer got an Oscar for it. I can definitely see why people are saying it's a film for the people in the film industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

It's nice to see the Birdman thread back (best film of the year so far) after it took on some negative comments from superhero fans who thought they going to a whizz bang film. Intellect levels zero corporal, should I engage the laser beam?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's nice to see the Birdman thread back (best film of the year so far) after it took on some negative comments from superhero fans who thought they going to a whizz bang film. Intellect levels zero corporal, should I engage the laser beam?

No, but you should talk about the film rather than making silly assumptions about the people who did / did not like it.

No, but you should talk about the film rather than making silly assumptions about the people who did / did not like it.
    Thank you Johnny for showing me the path to your truth. It won't be happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Thank you Johnny for showing me the path to your truth. It won't be happening again.
    hqdefault.jpg

^^^^^ I believe you have misinterpreted the meaning in my previous post, it is neither sarcastic or grovelling apology. As poster we are obliged to be meeting certain standards, we may offer our humour within these constraints without aggravating other posters.
    Johnny as supreme commander believes my post to be the initial seeds of anarchy within this thread, despite my knowledge that one of my circle attended the 'Birdman' unwittingly believing it to be superhero film and so lessened the experience.
    A blinkered closed approach to life lessens your ability to see beyond the box. People in power, high education or take life too seriously only see what they want to see or believe....a form of arrogance perhaps? How could someone go to Birdman and believe it was a superhero film? Did they not read a review? Ridiculous....Maybe like buying jam and getting wasabi in China...I'm sure it was jam because it looked like that....even though I couldn't read the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Just saw this tonight. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed coming out of a film, ever. I hadn't read reviews, just knew that it picked up a few awards, and I'm not one of those who thought it was going to be a superhero film. I just completely lost interest in it about 50 mins from the end. Absolute waste of time and money. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Saw this tonight, loved it. Very clever, one might say pretentious but, while it hits on massive themes, it doesn't dissolve into a lecture and alleviates it's sense of importance with self-deprecating moments. It boasts some killer quotes, masterful cinematography and soundtrack, incredible performances from a hugely talented cast (Keaton and Norton are particularly brilliant) and the movie means something, it says something. Above all it's a movie that after you leave the cinema you will think about it for ages and you could talk with your friends about it for hours, the supernatural portion and the meaning behind it, the open ending, the movies stance on modern society, social media, New York, the arts, celebrity culture ect. or you can just discuss the sheer quality of what you've just witnessed on the screen. Brilliant piece of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

, and I'm not one of those who thought it was going to be a superhero film.
    Just out of curiosity, what did you think it was going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Just out of curiosity, what did you think it was going to be?

Good? :pac:

I knew it was about a struggling actor who used to be massive while playing a superhero back in the day, so I suppose I thought it would be about his trials and tribulations and maybe a shot at getting back at the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

Thought it was a load of indulgent aul tosh to be honest, and the sound track did my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Good? :pac:

I knew it was about a struggling actor who used to be massive while playing a superhero back in the day, so I suppose I thought it would be about his trials and tribulations and maybe a shot at getting back at the big time.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I think we're on the same page bit with different hingsights.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the schizo element. And the dysfunctional family/friends were a nice addition.

I hated the supernatural element and don't feel it added anything. I'm undecided on the soundtrack but I think it needs to be applauded for doing something different, even if it wasn't entirely my taste.

I also thought that the pretentious, self indulgent aspect was hugely tongue in cheek.

Shandashey wrote: »
    Thought it was a load of indulgent aul tosh to be honest, and the sound track did my head in.

If you could call it that

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

If you could call it that

It was really annoying and pretentious

SOundtrack was one of the best things about the film especially the drummer guy in the corner, Imean like so kewl ! Fitted in so well with the artistic cultural leanings and connotations. Every time the soundtrack lifted through the backstage corridors of the theatre I go 'chune'! Now we're all saying it ....around the nest especially when some beats get dropped on decks, we all go...quite ironically actually...chune! ...and then I stroke my punctured earlobe with the giant tribal ring, all's calm cause the Birdman is in control.

I get annoying but pretentious? Like "Yeah those snares, cymbals and hi-hats sure were full of themselves.". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

e_e wrote: »
    I get annoying but pretentious? Like "Yeah those snares, cymbals and hi-hats sure were full of themselves.". :pac:

Pretentious has to one of the most overused and misunderstood words in the online warrior's vocabulary. Look up as many definitions of it as you can, and in all of them you'll see an element of subjectivity. For example: "making claim to distinction or importance, esp undeservedly." The person that's using the word is the one that's making the value judgment. They'd be better detailing what their exact problem is. It's like a bastardised burden of proof type of thing. It's not up to the film to prove it's not pretentious. It's up to the critic to prove that it is. Communicate, people. Explain yourselves!

• Advertisement

Pretentious has to one of the most overused and misunderstood words in the online warrior's vocabulary. Look up as many definitions of it as you can, and in all of them you'll see an element of subjectivity. For example: "making claim to distinction or importance, esp undeservedly." The person that's using the word is the one that's making the value judgment. They'd be better detailing what their exact problem is. It's like a bastardised burden of proof type of thing. It's not up to the film to prove it's not pretentious. It's up to the critic to prove that it is. Communicate, people. Explain yourselves!

It's heading towards the same fate as "literally" I'd say.

Advertisement