Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birdman (Alejandro González Iñárritu)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Amazing film. Was never a fan of Michael Keaton until now, this has to be his finest work. Totally captivating from start to finish - a very different film than I had imagined it would be, and so much better than I could have ever expected it to be. Last thing I saw Keaton in was 'The Other Guys'! A funny movie and a good role, but it's amazing to think of how little the vast majority of actors are able to exercise their full abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Amazing film. Was never a fan of Michael Keaton until now, this has to be his finest work. Totally captivating from start to finish - a very different film than I had imagined it would be, and so much better than I could have ever expected it to be. Last thing I saw Keaton in was 'The Other Guys'! A funny movie and a good role, but it's amazing to think of how little the vast majority of actors are able to exercise their full abilities.

Just watched that in work.........absolutely lost it at the rape whistle scene. I think I could be fired now.
    Keaton is such a great comic actor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

I think we'll see a lot more reviews of this on here before the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Heard a glowing review of this on the radio (movies and booze on Newstalk I think, hit and miss) and am now really looking forward to seeing this.

Going to avoid any trailers. Keaton is a great actor with many crap roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    I think we'll see a lot more reviews of this on here before the weekend.

along with Selma, Imitation Game, In the Woods, American sniper etc.

For what its worth, Birdman is a bloody good film. Requires a little suspension of disbelief as to what can and can't get on a professional stage but nonetheless. The fantasy element is timed perfectly and the comic parts are brilliant. If Ed Norton doesn't get Best Support he was robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I liked it's ambition but I think it slid into thesp circle jerk territory far to often.
    It's a little high on it's own self importance, like an in joke for those in the know.
    The drummer really got on my tits.

It's smugness annoyed me, 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

For what its worth, Birdman is a bloody good film. Requires a little suspension of disbelief as to what can and can't get on a professional stage but nonetheless. The fantasy element is timed perfectly and the comic parts are brilliant. If Ed Norton doesn't get Best Support he was robbed.

I would have said so but when you see JK Simmons in Whiplash you can why he shouldn't. Norton is brilliant and its his best performance In a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Technically it is one of the best films of the past 10 years but it was somewhat lacking in plot and I feel it will struggle to hold many people's attention.

That said, I always felt that Keaton was the most under rated actor perhaps of all time and hopefully this leads to some awards. I just don't think an Oscar will be one.

I'd compare it to both Magnolia (long shots and almost constant music) and Punch Drunk Love (very aesthetically pleasing but not something you'll want to watch again in a hurry).

A somewhat disappointing 6/10.

Does anyone know if it holds the record for the longest digital shot in a major film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A mixed bag, albeit a generally compelling one.

Inarritu has a tendency to spell pretty much everything out, and that's what lets Birdman down. The film's themes are so aggressively articulated, and the characters so broad, that there's little room for the audience to figure things out for themselves. There are some little nuances here and there, yes, and the film is undoubtedly at its best when it allows visual symbolism - as heavy-handed as it may be - to do the storytelling. But too much of the film is told through shouting matches, extreme outbursts of emotion, broad humour and dialogue / references that leaves no room for ambiguity. It's definitely one way to tell a story, but one that left me cold here.

I think a lot of the subplots in particular were misjudged. I was hoping the scene where Riseborough and Watts didn't go the direction it did, since it was such a bloomin' cheap and obvious one, especially with nothing in the way of follow-up. Ditto Stone and Norton's relationship. It's not even about their performances, because I think an amount of overacting actually suits the characters and the theatricality of the film. Even bearing that in mind, the film relies too heavily on broad tropes and cheap swipes. Galifianakis IMO did a very poor job indeed, proving ill-equipped to navigate the line between comedy and drama - although working with an underdeveloped character.

The technique and presentation I'm divided on. As a technical exercise it's quite impressive, and the loose camera work suited the tone and intensity of the film overall. The very technique helped determine the pace and mood of the film, and it's nice to see a visual style so closely integrated with everything else, even if everything else can be quite problematic. I appreciated seeing some of Lubezki's playful experimentation with cinematic time as well as space - some of the moments where it relatively seamlessly traveled between different sequences and even full days were very well handled. I'd be lying, however, if there wasn't a certain amount of distraction trying to spot the seams much of the time - as opposed to feeling like an organic flow, some of the transitions only highlighted how inorganic it actually is here - ironically, several cuts stand out even more when the filmmakers attempt to disguise them. Still, kudos for experimenting with form, and with not insignificant success for the most part.

I quite enjoyed the film's relative relentlessness, and the drum soundtrack was enjoyably propulsive. Keaton fit snugly into his role - even if, like the film overall, the metaness was a tad grating - and the effects-heavy sequences near the end managed to explore some of the film's themes, cultural critiques and even character arcs in a richer and more satisfying way than the more verbose methods employed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

A mixed bag, albeit a generally compelling one etc.

I agree, I agree so much with this.

Looked and sounded amazing and I feel bad calling a film that took such technical risks with the score and the cinematography obvious but, god, it felt very obvious. Underlined and on the nose. I suppose it was the writing? Or maybe the director just didn't trust us to get it?

Did you know Mike Shiner only feels real when he's on stage? I did! Because he explicitly stated the fact and then continued to bring it up (if you know what I mean). The first time it was a laugh, the nth time felt like a hammer. And on and on. The film could have ended 3 or 4 times before it did and the power of the thing diminished with each repetition.

I wish there had been less words when the music and the visuals were so strong but maybe I've been played and it was all a clever meta-commentary. There is literally someone shouting out that it's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. :eek: Of course! Now I get it- everything I didn't like was actually a commentary on things I don't like. Genius!

I feel like such a curmudgeon after all that but, hey, what would I know? I'm just a critic who prefers dessert to Twitter.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Don't have time for a big write up but saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it.

Yes some of the characters are a bit thin and at times the dialogue is a tad cliched but from the beginning the film just sucked me in. The cinematography, with the camera weaving though the narrow corridors and around the different levels of the theatre, felt like being on some claustrophobic amusement ride (in a good way!) The score worked perfectly imo, adding to the chaotic, almost schizophrenic atmosphere of the film.

Undoubtedly flawed, but original and enthralling. 8.5/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I personally don't get the roaring hype behind this film. On a technical level it is sublime and I would be amazed if it doesn't sweep a lot of the post-production awards this year.

However, the fact that I was thinking more about the technical aspects of the film rather than being awed by the story is problematic.

I kinda just feel that it's really up itself. This may be the point but I found it very grating at times.

Norton and Keaton's chemistry is the only real thing that keeps it together for me personally and I wanted to see more of that as the film progressed.

The jazz drumming soundtrack was initially very interesting and cool but quickly felt too intrusive for my liking and took me out of the moment on more than one occasion.

I found it very average myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Indebted to Amores Perros for introducing me to "cinema" so was really looking forward to this.
    Disappointed yet fascinated would sum it up for me.
    It all felt very loose at times and predicable plot wise.
    Acting was spot on and loved Niomi Watts , nice nod to Lynch with the kiss and i suppose female exploitation in cinema , great line with "i wish i had more self respect" then the quip "your an actress"
    its one of these numerous viewing ones just to get the layers but i dunno if its worth it.
    over generous 8.5 on IMDB for a general audience

however it is fascinating and im enjoying the recent surge of thoughtful movies in the cineplexs.

Oh and i did find parts of it very very funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

I really enjoyed it. It's so rare these days to go to the cinema and be treated to something truly original.

The only place it was lacking was the lack of any chemistry between Ed Norton and Emma Stone. Their interactions felt very wooden for some reason, no spark at all. But apart from that I thought it was excellent.

As another poster alluded to, it also reminded me a lot of Darren Aronofsky, which can't be a bad thing!

Highly recommended! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Loved it. Loved that one shot feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

SVG wrote: »
    on the nose.

I thought the same myself, and the wondered if the "accident" was a very subtle allusion to this. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

I enjoyed this on the whole, agree with earlier posters on the music front, was nice at the start but its overuse grated on me a bit. Keaton and Norton were superb.

It reminded me of Hitchcocks Rope, a film I love, in the one shot esqueness of it.
    I am almost 100% certain, but that was Scorsese wasn't it?

Thought it was very entertaining. It was a joy to watch the camera work and cinematography, the Times Square scene and the claustraphobic backstage weaving stood out, something different to the normal is always welcome. I also thought the drum soundtrack really suited it.

A good few laughs too! Some of the dialogue was a bit poor on occasion but overall a great effort and to recommended overall. I haven't seen the rest of the Oscar nominations but I would imagine that this is the most original film out of them.

The film really could have done with a different method personal demons towards the end, the cgi action sequence was very much out of place with the rest of the film and was too over simplified.

Loved Norton (he did his trademark OTT cigarette smoking) and Keating, Watts was decent too. The daughter wasn't great though.

Really enjoyed it in the cinema, down with the screener crap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

GAAman wrote: »
    I am almost 100% certain, but that was Scorsese wasn't it?

Eh?

Where?

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Eh?

Where?

Outside the theatre at the intermission, towards the end of the film. I thought it was him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thought this was awesome. It actually turned out to be very different from what I imagined (thought it was going to be more of a comedy in a mainstream manner) but it turned out to be an absolute gem of cinema. Loved the drums, loved the tension gained with the one shot feel, the whole thing felt like a panic attack.

Not 100% sure on the ending though, I'm not sure if it's because I failed to see the point, or if it's one of these up to your interpretation endings... It didn't take anything away from it, mind you, it just left me scratching my head a little.

Ed Norton was fantastic in it.

I think my favourite character in it was New York, though. Rarely does a film capture the essence of the city as well as this does, often movies veer towards OTT NY clichés but this hit the nail on the head with the older generation clutching onto the arts like it's theirs and nobody elses, with newer generations flabbergasted at their obsessions and ofcourse the unforgiving vitriol of the city itself. I often thought the movie's main star was the city, or rather the behaviour of the city, itself rather than Keating, and that perhaps you become sympathetic with Keating due to the uncontrollable nature of the story. It's really quite clever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I enjoyed it more than Foxcatcher. I really liked how the camera moved around, particularly into rooms and the long narrow corridors. I agree that some of characters are broad. Emma Stone has very striking eyes, btw. Ed Norton, what a ball of energy that guy is. The commentary on social media didn't feel self-righteous. The broader stuff about celebrity, franchises and culture seemed to be a bit more bristling.

I was a little less sold on
    the flying scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Just watched it last night. I can't believe that within a week of watching Whiplash I've heard a better drum score. Sanchez's playing is just unbeliveable and it's ridiculous that it was declared to be ineligable for an oscar nomination as it suited the film perfectly. I love black comedies so this film was right up my alley and it was just shot so damn well. I'd like to see it again so that i can maybe concentrate a bit more on the meat of the film though as I spent a lot of time just entranced by the visuals and sound so didn't appreciate the great script as much as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Really liked this, seems to end maybe a tad too quickly and abruptly, but makes sense too, would go and see this again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Excellent film, enjoyed the theatrical look and feel set within NY city, long camera shots. Music was so cool. Fantastic performances from everyone. HUmour was top notch, running through Times Sq in a pair of y-fronts. Definitely a film I would watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Absolutely brilliant! Loved the fact that the scenes kept changing keeping you on edge and the battle of ego for every single persona in the film was just ..brilliant!

Having Michael Keaton saying that he doesn't feel the resemblance to his own life story... :/ dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads, please help. I ****ing despised this film. Explain to me what I missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads, please help. I ****ing despised this film. Explain to me what I missed.
    The imaginative writing, great performances, crackling drama, wonderful humor and most of all the virtuoso direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

re the end
    she wasn't looking at flying 'Michael Keaton' at the end so what was she looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This went over my head - its more of an arty type movie. I didnt really get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

I'm really surprised that the IMC chose a film like that! Their selection of movies is usually....let's say not the best..

Advertisement